SAU Community

Rb25 Neo Build With Water/meth & No Intercooler

Whoa! Good start!

First off, this isn't a useless thread. It's a learning curve for next person who thinks to do this & they'll be able to deduce from this weather or not it's right for them.

I guess jet_r31 has summarised the why nots the best

However we're not talking family turbo car. We're talking a car that sees the road, more infrequently than the daily & that sees the track more frequently than the road.

The Link ECU will be getting a Flex fuel sensor installed

The goal is to reduce lag & maintain the top end

Jet_r31: I didn't take into consideration the ignition system & you're right the SS coilpacks wouldn't hold up. Maybe something like the LS coilpacks would. I've also heard some good things about some late model corolla coilpacks but unconfirmed.

Also the other big why not that I didn't do util today is the amount of water/meth I'd be mixing. Turns out that a 20L drum isn't going to out last a tank of fuel & I'm not sure its worth it carrying more than 20L of extra liquid.

I have no intentions of staying with the standard exhaust manifold either.

I think its back to the drawing board then

3076 does look like the way to go.

What other turbos are available from other companies that are of a similar frame to the 3076?

Why use an ethanol content sensor if you want to run WMI? There is no real benefit of running E85 and WMI, as shown in one of the threads here. And if you were going to go down the flex fuel route, it would be far easier to use an intercooled setup rather than setting up WMI purely to lower intake temps.

I really suggest taking a look at 34GeeTeeTee's setup and the Forced Performance HTA thread. That really is as close to the perfect setup as I have seen so far...

you just don't get it.., let me know when you "flex fuel sensor" your family turbo car, and how it goes for you...

cheers

darren

Cars are doing this from factory these days? Holden Commodores are the obvious ones, but even my dads Honda Insight runs flex fuel and could run on ethanol if it were available here.

Jet_r31. So you'd rather mix up a water/meth mix for your family turbo car every time you drive it rather than simply have an ethanol content sensor allowing you to just drive it and forget...

^ This. And no intercooler is just silly.

Sorry for the short answer, I have to drop the kids off at school in the family wagon. Glad the cold starts are sorted on e85 now... :P

• Like 1

to he honest i cant be bothered commenting anymore, you complety lost me when you think you need to fill up a tank everytime you drive a car and keep fuel stored at you house. i buy 4 litres at a time..mix it straight away..there goes the dangerous part..yet all mates keep at least 40l of e85 in there driveway at any given time for there e85 cars..lol

To the OP.

If you want to reduce lag there are other ways to do it.

- A turbo suitable to your aplication and power goals

- Anti lag if your keen

- A well set up ignition system using a crank trigger setup so you can have dead accurate ignition timing all the time enabling you to be more aggressive in areas of the map without having to worry about ignition scatter from the OEM CAS. E85 really helps here too as its less prone to knock.

A quickspool valve helps to

Why would you need to keep E85 at your house if you have a fuel composition sensor installed? Nothing wrong with a fuel composition sensor in a family car, pretty sure a shit ton of new cars capable of running flex fuel have them.

Edited by SargeRX8

Why would you need to keep E85 at your house if you have a fuel composition sensor installed? Nothing wrong with a fuel composition sensor in a family car, pretty sure a shit ton of new cars capable of running flex fuel have them.

Exactly. I never said anything about storing E85 for a daily. With a flex fuel sensor you go to the servo and put what you like in. Straight 98 or E5 - E90.

Whats the issue and why so hard to understand.

There is no mixing or storing anything.

Exactly. I never said anything about storing E85 for a daily. With a flex fuel sensor you go to the servo and put what you like in. Straight 98 or E5 - E90.

Whats the issue and why so hard to understand.

There is no mixing or storing anything.

And this is the route I shall be following soon. Its absolute perfection.

Wow. Most guys that convert a car to run e85 do not use the sensor so no flex fuel.

that's why they need to store fuel.

what's hard to understand about that?

Edited by superben

8 pumps in Sadelaide, more then enough unless ya rural out in the stix

e85 u get the same high without the side effex of meth... say no to meth

thanks for that.

you also get f**k all range. its not win win.

But there is a meth dealer on every street in adelaide .......

Funny story I've got the same range with my e85 tune as I did with my last 98 tune annnnnd 100rwkw more (manual conversion as well)

8 pumps in Sadelaide, more then enough unless ya rural out in the stix

e85 u get the same high without the side effex of meth... say no to meth

f**kin ..lol..yeh if you have fuel flex sensor and like to drive around on 98 or a mix all the time minus your half your timing or all of it....half the time..

or you like to keep fuel at your house....like everyone i know does...

cheers

darren

:no:

Kids these days....

I'm here to tell you, you will not gain 1000rpm of response from running a direct pipe. Especially not with a 3582r on an rb25.

To OP... nice idea, been thought of and tested before. A well set up evap/chemical cooling solution can work better than an air to air exchanger. A well set up system is not an off the shelf wmi, not even close. It would be very expensive as compared to a traditional intercooler. Other than the potential for slightly better cooling, there is no real gain. No real gain in response, serious strain on ignition system and not as reliable.

If you are hell bent on a shorter intake track, just run a barrel style water to air cooler set up.

J.

is this because rb25's basically have next to no lag anyway ?

i've made my rb20 500rpms more responsive due to shorter piping, maybe such things dont apply to the humble 25........

Edited by Dan_J

Darren your the only person I know who keeps fuel at there house

i've made my rb20 500rpms more responsive due to shorter piping, maybe such things dont apply to the humble 25........

If u can make the top pipe a lot shorter, the one that goes across the rocker cover, or get a forward facing plenum then yah that helps

I've heard of people modifying the standard plenum in that u weld a plate across where the current opening is and then use a plasma cutter to open up the front and weld/bolt up the throttle body to that. Good mod but needs to be done by a highly skilled metal worker

Darren your the only person I know who keeps fuel at there house

If u can make the top pipe a lot shorter, the one that goes across the rocker cover, or get a forward facing plenum then yah that helps

I've heard of people modifying the standard plenum in that u weld a plate across where the current opening is and then use a plasma cutter to open up the front and weld/bolt up the throttle body to that. Good mod but needs to be done by a highly skilled metal worker

That's funny I know heaps of ppl who run e85 who have a jerry can full at home at various times including my self !!!! Facts before opening mouth disco pumpkin ! And as for that plen mod wow it's only been done for the last 10 Years ! Greedy copy plenums are cheaper than paying a welder just about ! E85 is awsome but trust me water/meth is to .