SAU Community

Bonnet Gap In This Car Im Going To Look At.

Read up on a lot of guides to inspecting cars, one thing to look out for is panel gap which can indicate a crash.

This 200sx S15 im thinking of inspecting is showing some panel gaps in the pictures, the thing is the ad is quite appealing and the car

is located in a good area close to me, its claiming log books/service history and stock standard apart from pod, its got factory floor matts and badges

are all there unlike 95% of other s15s, and interior seems to be looked after, and its got no write off or stolen history but the panel gap i see in the picture seems very noticable.

Im going to look at it anyway and discuss this matter with the seller. What do you guys think of the panel gap is it bad repair job or could it be a number of other things ?

post-75998-0-18092500-1373441911_thumb.jpg

Edited by starwarz

My car got slightly hit when someone reversed into it, and its easily noticeable that the bonnet is bent, showing a gap.

Personally i think that gap is more so something pushing on the bonnet. ( my front mount pushes on mine )

But also could be a hit, another way to check is push slightly down on the bonnet, if it moves down when you push, somethings up.

My car got slightly hit when someone reversed into it, and its easily noticeable that the bonnet is bent, showing a gap.

Personally i think that gap is more so something pushing on the bonnet. ( my front mount pushes on mine )

But also could be a hit, another way to check is push slightly down on the bonnet, if it moves down when you push, somethings up.

He claims only a pod filter, an aftermarket strut brace maybe is all i could think of that might be pushing it up. Thanks mate.

Without looking at in closer, I'd say the rubbers could use some adjusting under the hood but it could be more than that.

Might be so my R34 was missing some rubbers but never sat like this, might be different for the S15, thanks.

Best to see in person and speak to the owner.

From what I can see there is a slight angle on how that particular picture is taken, so this can emphasise a gap.

The front bar appears to have dropped on the left / or raised on the right very slightly.

I think the gap/s you see can be easily adjusted out.

Edited by Sinista32

Your not all telling me to run for the hills which is a decent sign, i will get it checked out could be

camera angle i looked at a few other pics of stock s15 which showed a similar gap not as large though

based on the angle, or the bumper could be misalighned, all good things to consider.

Edited by starwarz

the bonnet may have been removed/ reinstalled for whatever reason

have a look around the area where the bonnet bolts onto the hinges and see if the factory sealant is still there (or has cracks in the sealant)

the bonnet may have been removed/ reinstalled for whatever reason

have a look around the area where the bonnet bolts onto the hinges and see if the factory sealant is still there (or has cracks in the sealant)

Will do, i didnt know about that !

i have a friends S15 which i regard as one of the cleanest Spec R's interms of its body i have seen

so will do a comparision with the one im looking at.

Edited by starwarz

Okay first of all....you shouldn't of drawn all over the car with red...Its blurring my panel gap inspection.

Front bar has been taken off, and bonnet has non original panel gaps. Headlight alignment is also skew whiff.

Take it from me, I own an S15 with a clean slate ;). The fact its not listed as being in an accident means nothing.

Without looking at in closer, I'd say the rubbers could use some adjusting under the hood but it could be more than that.

Was thinking this as well, see it happen on other cars. But as mentioned check it out. You haven't got anything to lose either way.

When you go to inspect the car ask the owner if they mind swinging past a smash repairer to find out how much it would cost to fix and what their thoughts are on the car.

Let the haggling begin.

Due to my interest, I found the carsales ad. It was too no surprise that he hasn't provided any pictures of the engine bay.

Lols.

Heres what you do, rock up and say you want to ensure the front end has been repaired properly (and to my guess it hasn't considering they can't even sort out the panel gaps.... ha)....and then you'll be in the ballgame to start low balling.

A telltale sign of the accident damage (so people in the future know), is look at the passenger headlight and the bottom gap with the front bumper. See how its a bigger gap than on the drivers side even though the bar is PUSHED up higher in relation to the bonnet? Now to rule out bonnet sag, the front quarter panel wrappssss around the front headlight differently to the drivers side.

on the topic of panel gaps:

if there are panel gaps (for example, between front bar and bottom of headlights, i.e. it is sagging a bit) but no repairs done to the bar (ie. it is still in original condition, and not actually damaged) then how likely is it that anything serious is damaged underneath?

on the topic of panel gaps:

if there are panel gaps (for example, between front bar and bottom of headlights, i.e. it is sagging a bit) but no repairs done to the bar (ie. it is still in original condition, and not actually damaged) then how likely is it that anything serious is damaged underneath?

If there are some clips missing which are used to fix on the front bar, this is enough to make the front bumper sag down a smidge. Even over time, some cars will have their bumpers sag down a touch.

But, think about this....there are plenty of "original" second hand used front bars which can be used to replace a damaged one.

If you're worried, easiest way to check if your car has some "front-end" history, is to check whether the bolts for the front quarters have been taken off. The paint for the bolts will basically "shatter" when you undo the front quarter panels, and as a result the bolts will usually be brush-touched for repaint. But obviously there are a lot more factors you need to look for. Checking for all original seam welding is useful too.

if u have the FSM, maybe u can check the dimensions?

there could be nothing wrong except for a ill fitting imitation bumper or it could be a replaced radiator support panel.

its a drift car... so some damage is expected?

Thanks for all your help, but i got a text from the guy that he sold it. We had

organised it for Saturday, oh well i can use this knowledge for the next S15 that

pops up.

if u have the FSM, maybe u can check the dimensions?

there could be nothing wrong except for a ill fitting imitation bumper or it could be a replaced radiator support panel.

its a drift car... so some damage is expected?

Some damage thats been repaired to original dimensions is expected.

Edited by starwarz

Okay first of all....you shouldn't of drawn all over the car with red...Its blurring my panel gap inspection.

Front bar has been taken off, and bonnet has non original panel gaps. Headlight alignment is also skew whiff.

Take it from me, I own an S15 with a clean slate ;). The fact its not listed as being in an accident means nothing.

What a load of shit chicken legs! Your car is all kinds of banged up! :P

Second hand bumper

If there are some clips missing which are used to fix on the front bar, this is enough to make the front bumper sag down a smidge. Even over time, some cars will have their bumpers sag down a touch.

But, think about this....there are plenty of "original" second hand used front bars which can be used to replace a damaged one.

If you're worried, easiest way to check if your car has some "front-end" history, is to check whether the bolts for the front quarters have been taken off. The paint for the bolts will basically "shatter" when you undo the front quarter panels, and as a result the bolts will usually be brush-touched for repaint. But obviously there are a lot more factors you need to look for. Checking for all original seam welding is useful too.

thanks guys - i forgot to mention that the reason i think mine sags is, one of the tabs is broken, that holds it to the ....rad support??? NFI what it's called, but yeah one of the tabs is broken - now the question is WHY it is broken as the bar itself has no real hit damage, and i actually tried to take off the front bar itself to fix it up - and found it VERY difficult to take off, and the bolts holding the front bar on were consistent with the age of my car, in fact i get the very distinct impression i don't think it's ever been off in the first place.

i was asking more out of curiousity though, i THINK mine doesn't have front hit,