SAU Community

HOWTO: RB25DET High Boost mode with standard solenoid

paulr33

Hi can anyone tell me if this mod works on the R32, Ive a 1990 GTS-t with the RB20det and an auto box running 10-11psi on full boost (according to aftermarket gauge) with full 3.5inch exhaust from the turbo including downpipe and de-cat and a pod filter. Sounds like a great mod but dont want to fry anything also is the solanoid in the same place on the R32. Thanx :banana:

R32 doesnt have dual stage boost... this is for RB25DET only :)

it will be so much easier if someone displays a finishing job for those who arent to sure?

dude, there are pics all through this thread. There really isn't all that much to it. Just cut the wire shown in the pics and connect a ground to it. If it doesn't work just solder the wire you cut, back together. easy

whats all this junk about burning out the ECU cause of a constant earth?

I have had this installed, and on, for about 6 months now... I have not noticed anything wrong with the ecu at all...

not to mention its a box that relays hundreds upon hundreds of 12V requests on an hourly basis...

1 12v being on all the time would have little to no effect on it at all...

If my vac line runs straight from the cooler return pipe to the actuator will this do anything at all like bypass the solenoid and run off the max boost setting of the actuator?? Just dont want to do this and burn out the solonoid by having it open all the time.

I've just found out that on the R34, the solenoid opens as soon as your boost exceeds 0 psi. The solenoid is in place for when the ECU goes into "safe mode", it closes the solenoid so that the boost does not exceed 5psi. Sort of like a safetyy feature rather then a 2 stage. So there should be no improvement whatsoever on R34s for this mod. Unsure about the R33s though.

I've just found out that on the R34, the solenoid opens as soon as your boost exceeds 0 psi. The solenoid is in place for when the ECU goes into "safe mode", it closes the solenoid so that the boost does not exceed 5psi. Sort of like a safetyy feature rather then a 2 stage. So there should be no improvement whatsoever on R34s for this mod. Unsure about the R33s though.

Definitely works on r33

Did this mod this morning works! i just cut the black wire as close as i could to the plug, attached a lug and bolted it straight onto the chassis. No soldering, no wire extensions. easy as. reccomended for all stock 33's :)

Hi can anyone tell me if this mod works on the R32, Ive a 1990 GTS-t with the RB20det and an auto box running 10-11psi on full boost (according to aftermarket gauge) with full 3.5inch exhaust from the turbo including downpipe and de-cat and a pod filter. Sounds like a great mod but dont want to fry anything also is the solanoid in the same place on the R32. Thanx :)

The R32 doesn't have a dual boost setup... it allows full boost right through the rev range.

Edit: for some reason I thought I was on the last page, but I was on the second last page. (Can you delete posts?)

Edited by Richie33

That's incorrect..R34's are the same as R33's - "dual" stage.

Plenty of people here have done it and can vouch for it working, myself included. I even have a toggle switch hooked up so there is no doubt that it works.

Standard = Boosts @ 4-5psi til around 4000rpm then jumps to 7-8psi..with the switch flicked it's boosting @ 7-8psi from around 2500rpm.

just do it mate, you'll see! :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

I have done it. With a toggle switch with a light in-built. I have wired the setup in such a way that the light will light up when the solenoid is open. Switch on = light on = solenoid on (can hear the click). Switch off = light off but lights turn on when solenoid opens and solenoid opens the moment your pressure exceeds 0psi (have been monitoring it for more than a month now).

just do it mate, you'll see! :D

• 2 weeks later...

finally did it...boost comes on abit earlier, around 3000 to 3500rpm make full boost ( not excatly sure when it makes full boost, just tested qucikly)

i feel more low down torque in 1st and 2nd gear

does this sound right?

Edited by skyline17

I'm thinking of getting one of those Turbotech boost controllers, do I still need to do this mod? Was hoping for constant 9-10psi.

edit: ok, the answer would be no i don't. Anyone with experience with this boost controller? Is it a "legal" mod cops/insurance) Or should I just stick with the solenoid mod considering I'm not going to mod the turbo anytime soon.

Edited by webng

how do i install a switch?

Get a switch that is 'single polarity dual throw' i.e.

on

off

on

There will be three positions on the back to connect the wires to.

The midddle is where you connect the wire to the solenoid.

The top and bottom positions are used for a wire to ground and the wire connected to the ecu (the other end of the solenoid wire that you cut.)

It doesn't matter which of these two go at either end.

I wired mine

ground

solenoid

ECU

this means that when the switch is pushed foward, the boost is controlled by the ECU,

when it is pushed back, the solenoid is grounded i.e. full boost always,

and when it is in the middle, it will always be low boost.

There is more about this earlier in the thread I think.