SAU Community

Fabricate Mounting Tabs On R34 Xenon Headlights

LexNismo34

Hi all,

Im not sure if this topic has been covered before, but Im sure this might apply to some of you.

Have front end damage on my car, where the xenon light "clips" or tabs for screwing onto headlight bracket has been broken. Also has some damage to the light housing itself. Anyone tried to fix this problem by fabricating a custom mounting plate instead of shelling out hundreds of $$$ to replace the whole unit?

Any suggestions on where I can get this done or is it achievable as a DIY?

Picture below as reference

post-84693-0-02886500-1376297953_thumb.jpg

post-84693-0-13588000-1376297975_thumb.jpg

Edited by LexNismo34

you have some options;

1. fiberglass it ( did this for one of the corner lights on the cefiro as it had no tab at all, lasted me quite awhile still to this day )

2. plastic weld aka a soldering iron and some scrap plastic, random air box lid etc

3. metal tab and superglue..... not too reassuring though

Fibreglass is probably the best/easiest option. You could quite easily patch that up with fibreglass back to factory appearance, something you'll never achieve with melting the plastic or gluing metal bits on. I'd just recommend getting some practise first if you don't have any experience fibreglassing, the resin can make quite a mess if you don't know what you're doing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your input guys - the fibreglass solution sounds like a reasonably good option. I'll probably go with that :) I have no experience whatsoever, apart from watching some youtube videos. Anyone know where I can get this done and a rough estimate of costings?

Bah, just buy a small fibreglassing kit from Bunnings or Masters for $20 or so and play around with it a bit before you try to fix the headlights. Once your confident you know how to work the glass and the resin, give it a go. Worst case scenario is you make a bit of a mess so you pull the fibreglass off and clean up the resin with Acetone before it cures, then give it another go.