SAU Community

Change Subframe Or Diff?

What should I do with my current setup?

Right now I'm planning to use a stock a31 subframe with maybe just a aftermarket differential / stock lsd. Right now it's stock with the stock brakes and open diff.

Or should I splurge and go with a skyline lsd rear end

A31 cifero. Hicas isn't a issue. I want to change to get lsd as a open differential is no fun. I was thinking about replacing it with a skyline subframe with all new arms and bushings. (this sub frame will have a lsd differential ad better brakes so it will be a good upgrade)

You're overthinking it. I actually took an R32 Skyline subframe OUT of my car (R32) and put it in the skip. Replaced it with an A31 subframe as a means to totally get rid of HICAS. There is no difference between your A31 subframe and a non-HICAS Skyline subframe.....except that non-HICAS Skyline subframes are almost non-existent in this country.

If you want a Skyline LSD, just get one. It will bolt up to your subframe with no problems. If you have 3x2 bolt driveshafts (assuming A31 follows S chassis practice) then you will also need some Skyline 5 bolt driveshafts. But these are a dime a dozen, so this is a small cost.

DO NOT consider a stock Skyline VLSD. They are crap. Get a real LSD. You will need to consider the differences between R32 and R33 diffs. The housings are different. The R32 is same same with your Ceffy diff. The R33 needs front bushes and has a different backplate. You can change teh backplate over from your existing diff, and you can deal with the bushes, but it easier to use an R32 housing.

If you buy a Skyline subframe, you can just hang the brakes on your Ceffy. But you'd only do that if you changed to Skyline 4 pots at the front too.

Do NOT fit a HICAS subframe to a non-HICAS car. You'd just be doing yourself a disservice. And you'd have to buy a HICAS lock bar or delete kit on top of it.