SAU Community

Moving To Vic Next Year, Have A Few Questions

azathoth

Hey folks, I am moving from the ACT to Melbourne next year and had a few questions that some of you can hopefully help out with.

Registration wise, if I am bringing a car from interstate to Vic do I have to go to an rta inspectation station or do I just go to the same place locals get theirs done at? Also related, do you guys have to get yearly inspections like NSW or do you have a similar system to the act where you get inspected when you first get the car then don't need an inspection any more unless you get defected or rego lapses?

Police wise, what are the police like with imports? In the act unless you a driving like a tool or your car clearly looks like its in breach of the law they will normally leave you alone. Is Melbourne similar or are the police quite strict?

Sau wise do you folk have weekly meets somewhere?

Also any other information you think might be useful would be awesome.

Thanks in advance for any answers regardless of them being helpful or not.

Edited by azathoth

In Victoria, we have VicRoads, which is our equivalent of your RTA. You only need an inspection (and therefore RWC) during first registration in our state, transfer of ownership, or to clear a major defect / notice of unroadworthy.

SAU Vic hold monthly meets open to members and non-members. We have member only events too. People on the forums do organise their own events too, though not so much during the colder months.

Police attention is random and depends largely upon where you live or travel through. Don't let someone tell you that if you drive sensibly, in a car that doesn't draw attention, then you will be cop free...because they are likely inexperienced and/or lucky. It is true that doing these two things will improve your chances of being left alone, but we are the defect state for a reason. People do get hassled in standard imports and defected/fined for something arbitrary; people also get ignored in loud shitboxes with chrome bits hanging off. It's luck of the draw sometimes, and the area / the kind of cop you come across both have a lot to do with it. If you're driving an import here, do so with the expectancy to have a run in at some point and you will have no nasty surprises :)

Thanks for the help folks.

I would bring fireworks if I could, the fun police took them away from us years ago. It made peoples dogs bark or something.

Decat + Ignition Cut Rev Limiter + Flame Show...

We do what we can to bring the fun back into this crazy world...

Thanks for that link. Does the appointment include an inspection or is it just sitting down at a desk and filling out forms and handing old plates in and getting new ones?

Sorry about the ignorance :3

ACT laws are the only ones I have ever known haha

if you can keep ACT rego, i'd suggest keeping ACT rego.

You can only keep rego for like 3 months though man, after that the police can fine you for not transferring the rego over if you live in Vic permanently

You can only keep rego for like 3 months though man, after that the police can fine you for not transferring the rego over if you live in Vic permanently

"i'm here for work, i transit between ACT and melbourne about fortnightly"

what? they going to send someone to follow you around? not worth that 700$ mang.

happened to a mate and he got fined, car was still regoed in QLD and he got fined and told to transfer rego over :S

=(

seems like he met a dick of a cop.

drove the snorer on nsw rego till it ran out, no issues, mate from shitney is still driving his civic on nsw rego, no issues.

In terms of the rego - Im not sure if ACT is same as NSW but VIC rego is much cheaper and less of a hassle. No annual RWC required and cost is just over $700. If ACT is anything like NSW, then it maybe worth transferring. The only thing is the VIC laws (and enforcement) in regards to defects/mods/EPA's and the like are much stricter, so its abit of a risk.

Vic police cant fine you or driving an ACT regoed car if you have a ACT licence and the address is valid. The line as mentioned above is that you've got 3 months, but in reality as long as you are able to receive mail to the address on the licence and rego they cannot fine you for not transferring (well they can fine you - and probably will, but you would be able to quite appeal the penalty in court on the grounds that you legally still live at ur ACT address if you are receiving mail)

Hope this helps

Thanks for that, to be honest it will be a hassle to keep it for longer than three months. We are renting at the moment and i don't really want my mail to still come here.
I think it is about 800-900 for a full year here and that included the CTPI. In vic do you pay rego yearly or can you do like here with 3/6/12 month increments? No yearly inspection is good, that is like here.

I am not too worried about the police, i am not the sort that does things to attract attention but just in case, i am already changing things to make it look more sedate, changing my BOV to a plum back, getting a return flow IC and going to paint it black so it's harder to notice and getting a box for my pod. My exhaust is actually a few DB quieter than legal here so i should be fine with that.

Are coilovers legal in vic as long as they are at or above legal height like here in the ACT?

Thanks for all the help again folks.

I'm looking forward to joining up with SAU Vic once i'm down.