SAU Community

Formula One 2014

tweety bird

Just watching a James Allen interview with Webber...lol "advice for Daniel..." "Marks response "Kick his ass. I took him to the last race in 2010, he has to do one better " :) Flaming Champion. Cant wait to see him at Le Mans next year

Also funny to see Alonso saying "we will see Mark next year supporting us.." and laughing at the suggestion he will be rooting for Alonso and not RBR. Cant help but suspect there could be some truth to the statement

Marussia could merge with Sauber leaving just ten teams on the 2014 Formula One grid, claims a report in the German media.

According to Auto Moto und Sport, Marussia - like many of their rivals - are struggling and face a budget of "76 million euros."

The team's Russian owners are keen to merge with another team and, having failed in a bid to do so with Williams, have targeted Sauber.

Journalist Michael Schmidt claims that "chief Andrei Cheglakov is reportedly fed up with needing to dig deep into his own pockets only to be down the field but he still wants to remain in Formula 1.

"He tried to buy Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff's shares at Williams, that's around 15 percent.

"Bernie Ecclestone is said to have endorsed the deal but Claire Williams rejected it as Williams want to remain independent."

The report continued claiming that Marussia have now set their sights on "joining forces" with Sauber, who are "looking for new sponsors and partners on the Russian market."

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/9048222/-Marussia-chasing-Sauber-merge-

two less pay drivers on track.

This ^^ is what is wrong with F1. Other than the few front running teams no one is getting anywhere near enough funding to run. Sponsorship is almost non existant - take a look at the teams:
McLaren - some Mexican randomness for next year and little in the way of mid level sponsors. I would imagine they ran at a big loss this year and will be even worse next year.

Williams - Basically nothing.

Lotus - Only secondary sponsorship and how many tens of millions of losses this year?

Sauber - Again basically nothing other than what the pay drivers bring. Borderline going bust.

Force it India - Sponsors are the owners companies.

Red Bull - see above other than the Nissan money.

Ferrari - Dirty cigarette money still despite them signing agreements to do otherwise.

Marussia - enough said.

Caterham - The have GE but not sure what that is worth. Must be losing bags of cash too.

TR - shows how much coin Red Bull have to piss away.

MB - Petronas and Blackberry. Cant imagine Blackberry are long for this world. As one of two car companies with teams I dont imagine they care how much they lose. Make it up by selling sht cars with truck motors to people with too much money.

Anyway point is that the distribution of prize and tv money is so unbalanced it means teams down the blunt end have basically no chance of dragging their way out of it. All because the F1 bergers are hell bent on shoving cash Ferraris way. The whole system is nuts and reinforces boring, predictable races and results.

• Like 1

Well he's already sold his house and lives at the factory so guess that's about as committed as one can get.

It always makes me smile when I think about how Ron Dennis started out as a mechanic at Williams.

There can really be no argument over who was the more shrewd entrepreneur in F1...

It always makes me smile when I think about how Ron Dennis started out as a mechanic at Williams.

There can really be no argument over who was the more shrewd entrepreneur in F1...

Yeah cause Frank Williams has had no success and no hurdles to overcome in his lifetime.

why's someone always gotta be contrary?

The facts- McLaren (with all it's various business activities) is now a company of far greater value under Ron's stewardship than Williams ended up being.

That's the sum total of the point I was making, sport. No need to get butt-hurt.

why's someone always gotta be contrary?

The facts- McLaren (with all it's various business activities) is now a company of far greater value under Ron's stewardship than Williams ended up being.

That's the sum total of the point I was making, sport. No need to get butt-hurt.

Well there is because running an F1 team over near on 40 years is a massive achievement. There are only a handful that ever survived for so long. Lotus didnt. Brabham, March, BRM, Ligier etc etc etc all went tits up. So the comparison is unfortunate because both Dennis and Williams have achieved massive success.

Also, a large part of the reason Honda left Williams in the mid eighties is because they didnt believe a paraplegic could run a company. Allegedly. They left to go to McLaren, by the way.

And Williams do ok on the other business activities front. Their hybrid power goes ok.

Anyway McLaren is heading downhill - I reckon 2014 will be worse than 2013. Podiums will be but a distant memory. As will sponsorship. And quick drivers. None of which is welcome. For either team.

No denying Williams F1 have had massive success, but the glory days must be a distant speck in the rear-view mirror by now. Which is a shame because I've always said I'd be Williams fan if not McLaren

Not that they've had too much to cheer about with regards to things F1 related in recent times apart from Lewis in 2008

No denying Williams F1 have had massive success, but the glory days must be a distant speck in the rear-view mirror by now. Which is a shame because I've always said I'd be Williams fan if not McLaren

Not that they've had too much to cheer about with regards to things F1 related in recent times apart from Lewis in 2008

You can be both, you know. Just as long as your hating on the team cheater Abu Dhabi is all.

Gunna get worse before it gets better for McLaren too. Hope the Honda is strong for 2015.

Actually he used to be a mechanic for Jack Brabham. True story.