SAU Community

Formula One 2014

tweety bird

So When do we start seeing cars, who will be the first to unveil their 2014 machine?

I dare say they will be keeping them under wraps as long as possible seen as there are yet another lot of major rule changes.

Think I'll go searching for launch dates now :)

Very hard to do though.

Actually no, it isnt. You specify a minimum cockpit dimension. You specify a minimum weight for the driver eg 90kg. You then specify the locations for the make up ballast that the jockeys carry. Job done.

Actually no, it isnt. You specify a minimum cockpit dimension. You specify a minimum weight for the driver eg 90kg. You then specify the locations for the make up ballast that the jockeys carry. Job done.

Yeah I get that but say you place remaining weight/ballast nice and high to discourage jockeys you can potentially disadvantage lighter drivers. But I bet Montoya agrees with you.

Yeah I get that but say you place remaining weight/ballast nice and high to discourage jockeys you can potentially disadvantage lighter drivers. But I bet Montoya agrees with you.

Well there will always be an argument at the margin. But surely it cant be beyond someones ability to work out the cog of a sitting driver and put it about there in the sides of the cockpit. Would surely be less than the difference between having a driver with a massive jawline compared to a pin head. So DC vs ???

Does it even need to be that elaborate? Make a car min weight exclude driver and then when you specify minimum dimensions for the cockpit you include a weight that uses ballast in the form of seat weight, both bum and backrest %) to control driver weight. DONE!

I think the two of you just showed why you are not competent enough to run F1. You never start negotiations by dropping your asking price. You start by promising value added performance derived from their 400k investment, not devaluing yourself. 400k is already a couple of billion dollar saving :)

Seems NJ GP is about as likely as the USGP F1 team that Windsor was behind a few years ago. Another delay and another 19 race calendar. Should be going back to India for a 20 race calendar

2014 CALENDAR

March 16 Australia

March 30 Malaysia

April 6 Bahrain

April 20 China

May 11 Spain

May 25 Monaco

June 8 Canada

June 22 Austria

July 6 Great Britain

July 20 Germany (Hockenheim)

July 27 Hungary

August 24 Belgium

September 7 Italy

September 21 Singapore

October 5 Japan

October 12 Russia

November 2 USA

November 9 Brazil

November 23 Abu Dhabi

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/3213/9057152/F1-season-finalised-for-2014

abu dhabi is the last race.. :(

2014 CALENDAR

March 16 Australia

March 30 Malaysia

April 6 Bahrain

April 20 China

May 11 Spain

May 25 Monaco

June 8 Canada

June 22 Austria

July 6 Great Britain

July 20 Germany (Hockenheim)

July 27 Hungary

August 24 Belgium

September 7 Italy

September 21 Singapore

October 5 Japan

October 12 Russia

November 2 USA

November 9 Brazil

November 23 Abu Dhabi

2014 CALENDAR

November 23 Abu Dhabi

IM ALRIGHT WITH THIS BECAUSE IF THE TITLE GOES DOWN TO THE FINAL ROUND... WHICH I WONT... AT LEAST ITS NOT IN A TIMEZONE THAT IS HORRIFIC FOR ME TO HAVE WAKE UP IN

SORRY FOR CAPS... FCUK IT, IM NOT RETYPING IT NOW

Rumour has it MB were the team who voted no...

TRAINING will continue in earnest for Australia's Daniel Ricciardo, who has been told to shed a couple more kilos ahead of next year's Formula 1 season.

He is one of several already-thin drivers having to lose more weight thanks to the sport's new technical regulations, set to be introduced next year.

This year's V8 engines will be replaced by turbocharged V6 units, heavier than their predecessors thanks to the added hardware needed by the new motors.

However, that reduces the margin for the driver under the sport's minimum weight regulations, which take into account both the car and its pilot.

Ricciardo, one of the taller drivers in the F1 field at 1.75 metres, tips the scales in the mid-60 kilogram range.

But he will be looking to edge that down to the low-60s by the time testing of Red Bull's new RB10 begins in January.

"Compared to where I am now, I need to lose a couple more kilos," Ricciardo told Brazil's Totalrace. "That's my goal."

The issue of driver weight has become increasingly contentious, with taller drivers having to stay ultra-lean in pursuit of extra speed: every five extra kilograms costs a driver roughly 0.2 seconds per lap.

"Haven't eaten for last 5 years! Minimum weight has been too low for ages," the now-retired Mark Webber tweeted earlier this season.

Webber, whom Ricciardo replaces at Red Bull, stands at 1.83m and weighs in at 75 kilograms.

With the muscle drivers need to withstand the strain of driving an F1 car for up to two hours at a time taking up a lot of their weight, that doesn't leave room for much else.

Several F1 teams are currently pushing for the minimum weight of car and driver to be increased by 10kg to 700 for 2015.

"I think it should be changed," Red Bull's technical guru Adrian Newey told Autosport.

"All teams bar one did vote for that weight limit to be increased and it has to be unanimous - but there was one team that objected to it."

The topic is set to be a hotly debated subject at the F1 Strategy Group meeting next week, where the teams discuss their thoughts on the future direction of the sport.

For his part, Ricciardo doesn't expect losing the weight to be difficult, citing the competitors in his other favourite sport as inspiration.

"It's not a problem. I like watching UFC (ultimate fighting championship) and those guys lose eight kilos in a week or something when it gets close to the fight.

"Two kilos in four months will be easy."

Ricciardo is set to make his first official appearance as a Red Bull driver when he gives their show car a spin in Sri Lanka next week.