SAU Community

E85 For 34 Gtt

Snake-eyes-racing-1

Hi all,

Ive been trying to do a bit of research on running e85

There is alot of information on how it is great or how it is crap

there is nothing saying what is needed to run it.

I run Sard 650cc injectors

Nismo High Flow fuel pump (its able to flow a stupid amont of fuel)

I have a Sard fuel rail and fuel pressure regulator sitting at home in boxes collecting dust.

Will the fule system i have on and sitting at home be able to run e85, i really want to get another 20 to 30 kw out of my set up. :woot:

any iformation will be good, I did have a 180 running on e85 and that was a rocket

Cheers

Have you had a read through the Guilt-toy thread yet? Stacks of E85 info there: Guilt-toy Now Running On E85

I think you've got the basics covered, although injector and fuel pump sizing depends on the other mods you're running. 650cc should be ok if you're staying under 300rwkw. You'll obviously also need a programmable ECU and a good tune, Nistune is a good option.

The other things to consider with E85 are 1) is it available near you and along the routes you typically drive and 2) are you happy with the reduced range compared to PULP (probably 20-30% less)? I considered E85 for my setup but decided against due to the latter.

I have nistune, i am running 244 rwkw now and just not enough with the extra weight of 4 door.

Range isn't a issue as the 34 is becoming a weekend car. I live in the hills so getting the fuel

is a bit of a hike, did it with the 180 so not an issue.

I just spent 10 k on finishing the car and down want to go down the road of another turbo and what not other half would kill me :domokun:

just want another 20 to 30 killer wasp

Ashley Hobbs who owns Adelaide classic performance has his stagea and I think maybe his 34 running e85. Last time I was there a couple months back he was telling me about it. He would probably be someone who would be able to fill you in with all the info you need.

I run my 1 of my stagea's on e85 minimal mods , 1000cc injectors, Intank walbro and single 044 stock fuel lines and pressure reg, making 338rwkw on only 16-17 psi with a 3076r will take more boost yet too :)

E85 / weekend car bloody awsome , having said that my fuel economy at cruise is as good as it was on 98

I want to go down the E85 route too but my 555cc injectors wont be near enough :verymad: .

Might get an adjustable pressure reg and see what it can do as i dont have the budjet to change injectors agian atm.

Dont bother with E85. Too much hassel for the gain. Try united 100. Almost the same power gain without the issues and costly setup of E85.

Ummmmmm don't know where you get assumption from . I've run 100 plus psoctane booster on cars and you can not run any where near the timing you can run on e85 as well as you miss the benefit of the cooling property's of ethanol , if your not after massive power set up for e85 on a rb chasing mid to high 300s is not costly at all.

It's been said before there are those who don't like e85 (those who dont use it)and those who do! (Those who do use it) :)

You

• Like 1

Cant see ive ever seen or heard of the same Power gains from going to 100 octane as you would with e85.....

Plus the 100 is bloody expensive and i havent noticed to much of a drop in fuel economy daily driving

E85 burns much quicker almost 1.5x more. So your consumption is crazy. Yes you can advance the timing prob a bit more than 100 but timing is not all thats in tuning. Reliability is still hard to achieve with E85 with all the issues ppl are having. Blown motors due to non hydroscopic oils and water seeping into bearings. The initial setup for 85 is high and needing a tune each time you want to take the car on along trip. 100 has a benafit of the ability to run 98 octane still with same tune, if needed. Each to there own I guess. I did extensive research b4 I tuned my R on 100 and with the right tune and mods similar results can be had. Everyone has there own opinion and thats mine

Yes consumption is more but it's definitely not crazy, you can advance the timing a lot more not a bit (and yes I do understand ther is a lot more to tuning) like you I build and have always built my own cars and done a fair bit of tuning. Reliability yes there are issues if you do not use the right oils (as with any car especially modified) and regular oil changes need to occur , ( I run a nulon fully sin e85 rated) Yes range in long trips can be a problem but not that bad Especially because of all the factory produced enthanol cars out there now increasing demand. I'm not having a go just putting my experience forward after using both types of fuel in various cars from v8 to turbos , but I am yet to see similar results on 100 to e85

Rb25det neo internally stock

Stock exhaust manifold

Stock intake

Return flow intercooler

3" exhuast

Bosch o44, surge Intank walbro

1000cc injectors

Nistune

3076r .63 external gate

Makes 338rwkw on 17psi ( will put more in it yet) ATM very safe tune

My brothers car is the same engine but with a .82 internal,plasma man ffp and cooler and tb fully forged engine running 100 on 21psi makes 288rwkw

and my friends gtr forged running -5 makes 360rwkw @ 21psi

Both cars running much more boost than mine ATM and more modifications/ bolt ons and one is a 26 but the power figs are quite differnt due to the use of 85 , to say same or close results can be had using 100ron is a bit of a far cry.

But that's just my opinions and experiences, summing it up I love e85 :) out of interest my other friend runs almost the same timing map as me on his neo stage on 98 but runs water/ meth injection . Makes very good power through the auto but unsure of rwkw fig around 300

Just slightly off topic... I have to change my oil in the gtr. What do people recommend oil wise for a rb26 and e85??

Any SN rated oil is fine for e85.

Don't listen to anyone not running it, as once you go to ethanol you will never go back. The torque gains are well worth it, even if you don't wind the timing in, or bump the boost up.

Your engine and exhaust will be cleaned of carbon deposits, your fuel system will be spotless, and the engine protected from detonation. If the only drawbacks are changing oil regularly and 25% less distance from the tank... I will let you make your own decision.

Anyone wanting to know information about e85 is welcome to PM me, I have been learning it's peculiarities, testing and tuning with it for over 5 years. I am more than capable of dispelling any myths people have been told.

there's alot of inaccurate info out there about the increased performance that E85 will give you.

You can virtually throw a match at the stuff and it won't burn.

The increased performance comes from the amount of timing and boost you can dial into an E85 set up without the fear of detonation like pump fuel.

If you can live with the lack of availability and increased fuel consumption, it's well worth it.

Speak to Donnon first before you do anything and don't go crazy big with injectors unless you like idle issues.

Also, you won't necessarily see much improvement by running 100 ron without tuning your ECU to the stuff (ie. more timing and boost)....other than cleaner upper cylinders through more efficient burning.