SAU Community

Any One Interested In Making A 350Gt Turbo Kit Fo Me

ff_driftz

why you knocking on engineers for? =(

Lol, only the kind that need to keep telling everyone that they are...

I don't think anyone would be crazy enough to mess with a chemical engineer Alvin.

QFT. :woot:

Pull your head in mate. I'm interested in trying to find a solution to your pipe dream. Your talking with Scotty, who if there isn't something he doesn't know about vq turbos, it's not worth knowing, and I myself have done a VQ35 turbo into an awd stagea.

The turbo is only a small part of an overall kit, so why not consider using the pipe work and other parts. What turbo are you intending to put on it? Single or twins? Gt30, 35, 42? Re you going to buy an off the shelf item, or modify it yourself? That constricts the location and packaging.

Are you building a motor? The stock vq35 has notable flaws when using forced induction. But I'm sure you can engineer your way around that...

holset VGT's are fairly cheap, some manifolds etc may need an engine out sonario (scotty tells me), if there could be another approach lets say we keep the standard manifolds and try an alternate location for the turbo, we agree on increased pipe length for driver and discharge medium, but if a VGT turbo is an option this will decrease the loss,

Weak points of the VQ35 is the conrods? from what i could find they give out arround the 500hp mark.

If the motor is kept standard a 300 rwkw mark should be a reasonable target to aim for...?

Plenty of VQ35's blow at much less, some last though. Perhaps the difference between a tune, and a good tune...

Just remember when talking US power figures, ours are often much lower.

The ones that blow at lower power figures, do you know what lets go?

Yup, it's rods, and the overall HP isn't that much of deal. It's about the torque. Because you can have full boost at 2200 ( my experience) the loads through the rods at slow engine speeds is the issue. Therefore steps have to be taken to reduce torque.

When comparing with US figures I found a lot of bullshit. I was massively short with my results, using the same boost, afm volts, afr, and ignition timing as other cars. I didn't want to push my set up as it was a daily car.

Thanks Guys, I see the issues....

In saying that i have made perliminary drawings and have sent them to STS, Garrett gearhead.. they are both showing interest in my design, my calculations with a VGT turbo show that this could be a dead end due to the rods being so weak, (with an engine rebuild (strengthen) this has potential to be a very mean engine) im looking into the rear and mid mount turbo setups now, they might be an option as the power is much more gradual.

Yup, it's rods, and the overall HP isn't that much of deal. It's about the torque. Because you can have full boost at 2200 ( my experience) the loads through the rods at slow engine speeds is the issue. Therefore steps have to be taken to reduce torque.

When comparing with US figures I found a lot of bullshit. I was massively short with my results, using the same boost, afm volts, afr, and ignition timing as other cars. I didn't want to push my set up as it was a daily car.

What setup do you run?

im looking into the rear and mid mount turbo setups now, they might be an option as the power is much more gradual.

Nothing gradual about rear mount setups, they come on just as hard as front mount.

Seriously, you can't go past what Nissan have already designed, I know from experience the factory manifold is much easier than an STS kit, or GT35 in the boot. Just imagine the headaches you will have pumping the oil return back to the engine... I don't need to, I have already been there. :/

What setup do you run?

He went back to NA because he's limp.

I ran a HKS z33 single turbo kit (gt3037) modified to fit a awd stagea.

It gave me a 70 kW gain at 6psi. It was tuned very safe, and tuned to reduce low range torque.

The kit looks very nice, why did you revert to na?

Nothing gradual about rear mount setups, they come on just as hard as front mount.

Seriously, you can't go past what Nissan have already designed, I know from experience the factory manifold is much easier than an STS kit, or GT35 in the boot. Just imagine the headaches you will have pumping the oil return back to the engine... I don't need to, I have already been there. :/

They dyno graphs that i could find for the people who do run front mount coolers with rear mount turbos they seem to be getting happy around 4.5k mark and the car revs 6.5k it is not much of a power band, with this type of engine as scotty says once turbo they should spool up nice and early (3037) (depending on turbo ofcourse)

I went back because I wanted a track car, and this was not it. It was a Mummy trolley. So I bought a very modified 180sx which I track. There was also a couple of things that annoyed me about running the turbo. Mainly the inability to run closed loop, and the tuning of gearbox pressures.

• 3 weeks later...