SAU Community

Microsoft Service Center Scam

D.I.Y. Mik

Those scammers in India running that Microsoft service center scam keep ringing me.

I feel like i have the opportunity to get them back... if i only knew how.

I get a call from them about once every two months.

would be nice to give them a nasty virus or something

Just do what I do. Pretend you're doing what they ask, act like a dumbass, string them along for half an hour then laugh and tell them their parents must be very proud of what they do and hang up.

They often call me when I'm in the middle of making dinner. I'm fairly accomplished at holding the phone to my ear with my shoulder while I cook so I just make them think I'm doing what they ask, "yeah, I'm holding the windows key...then what do I type? events? the windows key is the one next to the Home key, isn't it? Where's the window key again?"

It's amazing how long they will persist if they think they have a victim. I had four of them on the phone to me once, trying to get me to open the event viewer. I had them going for over half an hour. That's my record. I usually get bored after about 15 minutes.

Unfortunately Mik that is Extremely hard to do if you don't know what you are doing. As you open your Computer to attacks at the same time. Just Register for the Do no call register. If they call you just say that the authorities have been informed. They hang up extremely quickly and don't call back.

i haven't got one of those calls yet, waiting for my chance to troll them. did get a car accident scam call a few weeks ago but they hung up on me when i tried to ask them what company they were calling from, another troll opportunity missed

Before I added my number to the Do Not Call Register...I use to get these calls on a regular basis....I loved messing around with them wasting their time..and I did let them do what they wanted to do (be it on a virtual machine)...just like when they rang a guy from Malwarebytes

here is the link to that blog

http://blog.malwarebytes.org/fraud-scam/2013/04/phone-scammers-call-the-wrong-guy-get-mad-and-trash-pc/

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a few of these. The funniest one I recall was when the Indian guy told me my computer has a virus, he assumed incorrectly that anyone would perceive that as a negative. I didn't

I basically decided to do the craziest thing I can thing of and took a pro virus stance. I kept saying things like "Yup I know its infected, so what?" "I know it has a virus, thats the way I like it" "My computer can handle it"

After he sat there being stunned at my attitude, he tried another approach and told me my computer was spreading the virus to my neighbours computer.
I bassicaly kept saying stuff like "Im very happy to hear that, YEAH YOU GO BOY (to my computer)" and that I was training my PC to fight with other computers.

As a last resort he told me that unless I follow their steps to remove the virus I will be sued. I got bored around there and hung up but how I wish I recorded that conversation.

Edited by sonicz

No one knows my home phone besides call centers. So when ever it rings I answer with "I've hid the body, now what?!!" They hang up everytime. Come to think of it, I haven't had a call in a while :(

No one knows my home phone besides call centers. So when ever it rings I answer with "I've hid the body, now what?!!" They hang up everytime. Come to think of it, I haven't had a call in a while :(

Really? I would imagine the Indian on the other end wouldn't even correctly hear the words you've just said, let alone understand what you mean and be phased by it. Most of the time they have no idea what you are saying and they are not phased by anything, they just will keep telling you to go to start and type run

• 2 weeks later...

I don't answer my home phone 99% of the time anyway, anything of importance people call me on my moblie (which is again 99% of the time all work related) pretty much the solo purpose of my home phone line is to get me my ADSL since naked DSL isn't avaliable in my area (with NBN looking like another 20 years away) besides paying rip off Telstra prices for no download quota.

Edited by Mayuri Krab

• 3 weeks later...

Had one of these the other night. After ringing during the day and getting my mother and her saying that the person he would need to speak to would be home after 6:15 he rang back at 5:15 (didn't take into account no daylight savings in qld). The missus answered and told him to get stuffed. He rang back a few more times within a few minutes, each time getting told to get stuffed (she also said that she didn't believe he was from Telstra and she wanted a customer reference number and number to call back on, which he said he wasn't allowed to give out because he was only a technician). Then he rang again at about 7:30. I answered. He did the usual "I'm from Telstra and I'm sorry to inform you that as of today my internet was going to be disconnected". I asked why (knowing exactly where this was going). He said because I had corrupted files on my computer and then asked me to turn my computer on so he could show me. I simply responded with "let me guess, you want me to open the event viewer." He said yes and then hung up on me, lol.

Next time I might try stalling them for a bit before saying "since I assume you are calling via voip, if you could just hold the line for just a few seconds longer, I've almost finished tracing the call and am about launch a ddos attack on your system to make it crash"