SAU Community

another power to weight (sorry)

ApacheX

hmmm i just got done today for drivin a restricted car (r33 gtst on my p's) and i was 6kw over the limit

is there a way to SLIGHTLY power down my car? and if i do that, for it to be legal for me do i need an eng. cert. or somethin?

any help would be good, thanks

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what about adding a more restrictive exhaust?

or maybe a boost restrictor and lower the boost to like 5 or 6psi?

call vic roads tomorow morning... tell them this car is the only means of transport for you to get to work/school and that you cannot sell it blah blah sob sob and if theres anything u can do to make it comply

Hmm... 6kw is some random guess if you ask me...

187kw

1360kg

= 137.5kw/tonne

Send akeenan a PM, he's in japan, but got some engineering certificate for a restrictive air box, which brought the power down. Altho the value of the cert. and the benefit to the car (restrictive airbox) was in question. Not sure if even a cert. was ok, but i think andrew got by with it fine. And the air box mod thingy was easy to take in and out as far as i can recall.

This doesn't sound good if the po po are actually enforcing this, as they've seem to have let it slip so far. I'm still gonna have about 9 months of P's left when i get my R34 :( And that's definitely over. What are the restrictions now that you've been pulled over for it?

I think they go off factory specs, so even if you detuened it, they wouldn't care....

first time i've heard of anyone being done for this!

but if thats the case then you could buy a lesser powered engine and do uber amounts of mods and it would be legal (providing the mods were legal of course) which doesnt make sense.

yeah, that's the stupid thing. Might have say... R33 GTS, throw a RB26DETT in, get the engineer ok, you're laughing. The car is registered as a non-turbo R33, easily under power to weight.

im guessing it was just a fine, no points, and thats it, i'd just leave it, you're only risking another fine if you get done on it again (very unlikely)

Hmm... 6kw is some random guess if you ask me...

187kw

1360kg

= 137.5kw/tonne

Send akeenan a PM, he's in japan, but got some engineering certificate for a restrictive air box, which brought the power down. Altho the value of the cert. and the benefit to the car (restrictive airbox) was in question. Not sure if even a cert. was ok, but i think andrew got by with it fine. And the air box mod thingy was easy to take in and out as far as i can recall.  

This doesn't sound good if the po po are actually enforcing this, as they've seem to have let it slip so far. I'm still gonna have about 9 months of P's left when i get my R34 :rofl: And that's definitely over. What are the restrictions now that you've been pulled over for it?

well for my car its 125kw/tonne right, so factory specs are 184kw/1398kg, which means its roughly 131kw/tonne...makes me bout 6kw over =(

btw inark, my car is TOTALLY standard, no exhaust no nothing! i could reduce the boost a bit, but if will they accecpt that is the question

ferni: true, no points, but if i get done again (according to the cop) i will get a bigger fine, and more demerit points, or if they feel im doing it on purpose take me to court

cop ALSO told me the ONLY cars (performance wise) i could drive are a ca18 180sx/silvia auto, NA r33, and some other dodge one i cant remember.

I think they go off factory specs, so even if you detuened it, they wouldn't care....

they go off factory specs ya, but if i detune it a lil (eg. restrict the boost) to make it legal, will they accecpt it? thats wat im askin :(

in the end it comes down to the cars actual power output. this is what one of the staff members at kamikaze argued to me. although it normally/easily goes off the factory specs, if the argument got serious, like going to court over it you would get the cars real kW rating. where does it say what method you should get the kw figure?

also, even though this doesn't help, car companies sometimes publish lower output figures in their books to keep the government happy*

ahah yeah i got done at knox, i didn't get hiz name, its on the fine though :)

is he the tight one? coz he was REALLY nice.....about giving me a fine, and he explained the whole bov thing to me and all that stuff (i got epa'd for atmo bov and asked him to explain why)