SAU Community

Single Turbo Conversion. What Power Do You Think I Should Be Making?

Hi guys,

Ive just finished my single turbo conversion in my r33 gtr and had it tuned a few weeks back. It made 350rwkw on 23.5 psi of boost through a gt3582r. To be completerly honest i was expecting something a little closer to the 400kw region. Ill list out my mods and maybe a few helpful members with experience using these turbos can shed some light.

-garrett gt3582r t3 with .82 exhuast housing

-4 inch dump into 3.5 inch straight through exhuast system using a straight through magnaflow muffler

-custom made manifold (seems quite strong and well made) no cracks ect

-tial 44mm gate with screamer

-100mm tube and fit autobahn88 intercooler

-2000cc xpurt injectors with a walbro 460, no fuel reg.

-adaptronic ecu using map sensor

Is there anything you would look at that could be restricting me?

I guess your fuel pressure is whatever your pumps can make and then it drops off as boost rises which seems the wrong way round. Do you have a rationale for this? I would guess it would make it harder to tune?

I presume you have looked through the RB26 turbo upgrade thread but the people making more power either have better turbos or if they have GT35s have some or all of: 6 boost manifolds, stronger valve springs, headwork, bigger cams, adjustable cams gears, E85, higher compression, G4 ECU, and in most if not all cases fuel pressure regulators!

I have a GT35 on my RB30 making only 314AWKW and I think my main problem is very low CR - possibly 8:1 or less.

Pressure test the inlet system for leaks.

Any idea if it likes ignition advance, or has it hit a plateau where more timing doesn't make more power?

How is the fit of manifold to head, and turbo to manifold? Any sharp ledges that will affect flow?

How is the pipework for both I/C and exhaust? Well designed and made, nice bends, minimum of protruding welds into the air/gas paths to upset flow?

Spec and condition of cat?

Spec and condition of filter?

Pressure test the inlet system for leaks. We smoke tested it before throwing it on the dyno, no leaks we could find.

Any idea if it likes ignition advance, or has it hit a plateau where more timing doesn't make more power? No clue, i will have to find more out from the tuner regarding this.

How is the fit of manifold to head, and turbo to manifold? Any sharp ledges that will affect flow? It all looks to be pretty god in that department and nothig i could see causing a restriction there.

How is the pipework for both I/C and exhaust? Well designed and made, nice bends, minimum of protruding welds into the air/gas paths to upset flow? All the cooler piping is 3 inch and the only charp bend is a 90 degree silicone joiner coming directly off of the turbo. The exhuast system expands from 2.5 4 bolt flange at the turbo to a 4 inch dump and reduces to 3.5 inch where the cat would be all the way back into a rear muffler.

Spec and condition of cat? No cat

Spec and condition of filter? its a large K&N pod filter, i cant see that posing any restrictions as its 4 inch right up until the turbo intake.

Everyone I know with any similar kind of setup has cams, and often additional head work - I'm not 100% sure what to expect with stock cams but I know those guys have had decent gains by doing the cams which makes me think it could be at least a contributing factor.

yea, this is what we have been looking at. Alot of the dyno results i have found using this turbo have upgraded cams but they seem to be in the low 4's. I am quite certain i will be throwing in some type b poncams very soon so it will be interesting to see how much extra we can make. From my comparisons, it also seems to maybe be coming on boost a little late for a .82 housing. I will have to look into this further.

thats the kinda power it should be making on 98...3582r .82 rear housing.... about 350ish... even more ive reached 365+ with that turbo... on 98 octane.

something is not right.

Well the first think im going to check is going to be compression. I did one when i purchased the car and it was perfect. Every cylinder was around 16X from memory. Its been about 10000kms and 3 years since. The only other things i can think of would be a small boost leak somewhere or a gasket getting in the way.

My 32R made 510hp at the rear on a hub dyno with pretty minimal mods;

-Std bottom end

-3582r

-260 degree Poncams

-350lph walbro

-Haltech

-1000CC injectors

-manifold nothing special

-std intercooler

-3" turbo back exhaust

Thats about it really, made that power on 19psi, 98 octane.

Without cams I believe 350kw to be normal.

With cams I would expect a maximum of 380kw on 98.

DVS JEZ dyno is on par with Unigroup, which is known to be very shy on numbers. I believe you are on par for where you should be.