SAU Community

Lost Dyno Tune , Back To Factory Setting

tuner told you to change *what*? as it was running rich? dont tell me the tuner did a *over the phone* touch up of fuel mapping when you yourself have no idea. sounds pretty irresponsible, especially via the hand controller. sounds more like you accidentally wiped it..

did tuner have you play with the air flow meter options? sure its not on z32's or some other afm?

tuner told you to change *what*? as it was running rich? dont tell me the tuner did a *over the phone* touch up of fuel mapping when you yourself have no idea. sounds pretty irresponsible, especially via the hand controller. sounds more like you accidentally wiped it..

did tuner have you play with the air flow meter options? sure its not on z32's or some other afm?

Hi Dave

The car was stuffed, would not idle for long, sounded like rattling a can of nuts and bolts at idle and when I tried the boost it was crap,BUT at about 1400 revs to 4k ish it sounded fine, I am stuck in the bush on a shitty Rd so I mothered it home under 3k

He sent the hand controller to me and we went to the settings using Face Time, he was in control of the situation, he could SEE everything and guided me through it, not rocket science when you have the tuner guiding you, he saw that the ECU had gone back to original/factory settings.

The car was running very rich, so we changed the settings to fix it and a couple of other settings, then I took it to my mechanic to check the motor was OK and change the plugs, they were BLACK.

I do not know if the changes will stay there and not keen on it going pop again on the way to Sydney, so he has offered to load his loaner ECU with my tune and send it to me to get me back to Sydney.

I may be wrong but I think he did everything he could from 350Klms away to help me out of a bad situation and professionally ..

This does not mean I am happy that the FN thing went pop after 300Klms after just having work done including a NEW Tune:(

Have you checked for boost leaks/popped cooler hoses?

You really should...

And I am 10000000percent sure you don't need a motec!

There are plenty of ecu options. Look for one that is plug, eg link or vipec yo name a couple,

To be honest I do not know what to get, but if I have to change the ECU I want something that if I have a problem in the future I can save the tune and I can reload the tune from a memory stick or whatever, well that is if this sort of thing is available to us mere mortals ??

The tuner was on Face Time with me and we went through everything he wanted to see with the hand commander he sent me before saying what he though had happened and recommended a new unit instead of replacing it with the same 15 + year old Apexi unit and suggested using new tech unit?

interesting.... you could spend a couple of hundred dollars on a fc datalogit so that you can save your tune to a laptop....this is what is available on all the other ecu platforms...however not many of them have this handy dandy hand controller.

Had a very similar experience myself, turned out to be clogged up fuel filter from me starting to use the part ethanol fuels as well as a intermittent fault in one of the MAFs. Stuck a Link g4 and map sensor in it to update the package a bit ( ie removed the powerfc). was sick of MAF issues anyway. Within 3km of filling up with 90-10% ethanol, it was running like a hairy goat. Sometimes things can compound till it brakes the camels back, as in my case where car was very drivable with occasional issues from Maf, but throw in a couple of other factors and it brings it down.

haha, everyone is out for a buck $

When you see this gizmo in action, "The hand commander FC" and someone 100s of Klms away changing what your motor is doing(simple when you know what you are doing) by guiding you through some simple adjustments , cars take on a new look, shit this is space stuff watching and hearing your car sounding different, running like crap to sweet by changing a few settings on a gizmo.

I just wonder when it is time to get new tech into your car, seeing I have a problem, maybe it is as good as time as ever to do it?

But I think I will send the Apexi down to the tuner and have them load the tune again and send it back so I can try and use the car until they can do all the work I want done

The hand controller for PowerFC is mildy convenient. But compared to accessing ANY ECU on a laptop, including PowerFC, it is like using a hammer and chisel compared to a dremel.

Move on. Buy a decent plugin Link or Vipec, Adaptronic, etc.

The hand controller for PowerFC is mildy convenient. But compared to accessing ANY ECU on a laptop, including PowerFC, it is like using a hammer and chisel compared to a dremel.

Totally agree, when tuning a car copy and paste becomes an essential function lol

There is a lot to learn, bloody cars :)

I have had a lot of cars but with this R34GTR it is the first time I am interested in more than just driving them

There are different ideas of what is the best brand/model# and I understand that price can be a major factor, maybe someone could recommend a package of what I would need , ECU , brand and model# and whatever can be used to make it user friendly, I am not the best with computers but OK once I get my head around most things, sometimes just enough to be dangerous :)

But if I buy something I want it to be able to do everything you need it to do.

Your best bet, if you are happy with your tuner, is to ask what they recommend and get it from them.

That way you know they are happy and comfortable tuning it.

Your best bet, if you are happy with your tuner, is to ask what they recommend and get it from them.

That way you know they are happy and comfortable tuning it.

they said the Haltech, I would like a unit that most tuners would be happy with, if possible?

As I live a long way from Sydney I was hoping to get this last work and tune done in Sydney and hopefully find someone closer.

sent the Apexi to Sydney , the tune was reloaded and sent back to me, put it back in the car and away it went, got me stuffed??

Anyway off to Sydney tomorrow to have the Haltech installed, also a Walbro 460Lph fuel pump and a custom exhaust as mine is very restrictive ,looking forward to see the difference in performance and sound :).

I wonder if they can load the new tune from the Haltech into my Apexi , I would have a back up but I guess this cannot be done as they are different brands :/ ???