SAU Community

Cycle Registration Floated

GTR-N1

Heathcote rd single lane with 100knph limit double white lines and a steady stream of cars coming the other way and some cock on his pushy doing 30kmph I had to slow the truck to that then sit behind him till there was a gap big enough for me to get around him safely then spend the next ten minutes trying to get back up to speed so yeah held up by a farkin pushy which caused a massive traffic jam

Exactamundo! (Forgot about the poor truck drivers who have to deal with long stopping and accelerating distances.)

That's the thing though, I have no dramas continuing past a cyclist doing the speed limit, other motorists however seem to have a real problem with this concept of driving straight, in their lane and past a cyclist not doing the speed limit. They then hold up traffic for the rest of us poor souls who were in the queue at the traffic lights/stop sign etc.

Far easier to deal with the comparatively small amount of cyclists than to re-educate a million odd car drivers to be less shit.

Probably more productive to have less shit drivers; everyone wins then.

Just because something works in another country does not mean it will work here, Australia is to spread out for it, in the major city yeah probably which is what is said a few pages back, bikes trams and work vehicles only

Thanks for doing exactly what you are supposed to do when encountering a vulnerable road user. :thumbsup:

Did it really take 10 minutes to get back up to speed? Or was it maybe a fair bit less than that; like maybe 30 seconds?

Why have we arrived at a point; where applying the brakes to avoid running a cyclist off the road, has become the option of last resort?

It's hard, I get it. But trust me; his family will appreciate it when he arrives home safe; just like yours does when you arrive home safe.

Full loaded truck going up a hill and having to sart from 30kmph, yes it was about 10mins not including the time spent waiting to get around him,

Thanks for doing exactly what you are supposed to do when encountering a vulnerable road user. :thumbsup:

Did it really take 10 minutes to get back up to speed? Or was it maybe a fair bit less than that; like maybe 30 seconds?

Why have we arrived at a point; where applying the brakes to avoid running a cyclist off the road, has become the option of last resort?

It's hard, I get it. But trust me; his family will appreciate it when he arrives home safe; just like yours does when you arrive home safe.

Given it was on an uphill grade and my truck is half a tonne off its limit and I had to start from 30kmph, yes about ten minutes not including time spent waiting for a gap to get past him, just because he doesn't have any where important to be doesn't everyone else doesn't

This is like banging my head against the wall, you are just like the smokers when they banned them from smoking in public areas, you don't give a fark how you effect other people as long as you can do what you like fark everyone else and there is no reasoning its your way or get farked, there are plenty ways of commuting if you can't drive and there plenty ways you can train and plenty of roads you can ride on but you guys still want to ride on roads that aren't big enough for you to do so safely with motor vehicles and then its our fault your an inconsiderate peace of shit, pick your roads carefully and the death toll of pushy riders will drop dramatically

• Like 1

That's the thing though, I have no dramas continuing past a cyclist doing the speed limit, other motorists however seem to have a real problem with this concept of driving straight, in their lane and past a cyclist not doing the speed limit. They then hold up traffic for the rest of us poor souls who were in the queue at the traffic lights/stop sign etc.

Far easier to deal with the comparatively small amount of cyclists than to re-educate a million odd car drivers to be less shit.

You are missing your 1996 Holden commodore ute from your car list mate.

You are missing your 1996 Holden commodore ute from your car list mate.

Why? Because I drive my vehicle in a manner as to not inconvenience road users travelling behind me that probably have better things to do than sitting behind the wheel for a prolonged period of time?

Yeah, good one chief ;)

there is also just a few comments about us paying for up keep of the roads.

Rego does NOT pay for roads.
Rates and taxes do.
Taxes like GST and alcohol and tobacco taxes.
Yes fuel excise too.
So when you see me riding down the road on my bike with the expensive wheels and me in my lycra and helmet on, that is all paying for our roads.
If you are in a car the GST on that and the fuel excise also pays for our roads.
If you pay income tax, that also pays for our roads.
If you own a house and pay rates, those also pay for our roads.
In a round about way your rego contributes to the pot of money that all government expenses come out of (including all of the administration and other expenses of registration), but if you looked at registration as a stand-alone item it is not profitable.
your license only means that some time in the past, you managed to pass a driving test.

Why? Because I drive my vehicle in a manner as to not inconvenience road users travelling behind me that probably have better things to do than sitting behind the wheel for a prolonged period of time?

Yeah, good one chief ;)

Nah most of the people that shout at me when riding own a shitbox

Rates and taxes do.

Yes fuel excise too.

So when you see me riding down the road on my bike with the expensive wheels and me in my lycra and helmet on, that is all paying for our roads.

If you are in a car the GST on that and the fuel excise also pays for our roads.

In a round about way your rego contributes to the pot of money that all government expenses come out of (including all of the administration and other expenses of registration), but if you looked at registration as a stand-alone item it is not profitable.

your license only means that some time in the past, you managed to pass a driving test.

go read your rego papers and see what most of your registration fee is made up of, it's over $400 in tax

Please go sit in the corner with the other people who spent thousands of dollars for 100 bucks worth of chromoly tube and 2 tyres

Hey, I resemble they remark, oh no wait mine is made of alloy, carry on :D

Another discussion, how to make that happen? Unfortunately I do not know :(

Fark, me either; there's years of work to get that one sorted.

Not to mention the abuse I copped because my truck isn't a race car that can just hightail it out of there and all from a push bike rider

So your fellow car drivers and their intolerance?

Rates and taxes do.

Yes fuel excise too.

They don't want to hear it; because it doesn't suit the argument.