SAU Community

Cycle Registration Floated

GTR-N1

A motorcycle helmet is what you had in mind? There are full face mountain bike helmets which may fit the bill.

Unless something has changed we are not required to wear more than that on the motorcycle, barring public nudity.

But there is no way anyone can pedal in leather or worse, synthetics without dying of heat stroke.

Zebra

No riding on footpaths anymore, no slipping over the pedestrian crossing, be required to wear the same protective gear as a motorcyclist,

Edited by zoomzoom

1, Read the article above the picture. :rolleyes:

Give me just one rational reason why a vehicle that doesn't use any fuel; should have to pay fuel excise?

2, Bicycles are ALREADY recognised as vehicles, and are ALREADY entitled to equal share on the roads.

This is already law.

3, What is so difficult to understand about that?

4, Yours is the attitude of entitlement that needs to change.

1, good for you, you found another BS article most likely written by some Lycra clad homo with the same BS views you seen to have, which also has no credible facts attached

2, so they are already recognised as "vehicles" then why do they not get treated as which and have to pay for the privilege of using the road like every other vehicle and that is the problem isn't it, they can use the roads but can't be held accountable for their actions, so that is a right that should be taken away and by making them regoed and licensed that right becomes removable

3, no has yet said that isn't a right we're not arguing that we're just saying that maybe it shouldn't be and you should pay for the right to use the road like every other vehicle that uses the roads

4, its YOUR attitude of entitlement that needs to change, I'll tell you now you have changed the way I view push bike rides, I no longer want to be cautious and curtious, what I want to do is contact mythbusters and get that boxing glove attached to the pneumatic ram and attach it between the cab and deck of my truck

5, why is it your vehicles are the only ones on the road that doesn't have any PPE requirements like Zeb said, you should have to wear a real helmut as a minimum as well as the brakes and tyres should have to be checked annually as well as warning and indicator lighting if you get to use the public roads then you should have to follow the same rules as everyone else

• Like 1

1, good for you, you found another BS article most likely written by some Lycra clad homo with the same BS views you seen to have, which also has no credible facts attached

2, so they are already recognised as "vehicles" then why do they not get treated as which and have to pay for the privilege of using the road like every other vehicle and that is the problem isn't it, they can use the roads but can't be held accountable for their actions, so that is a right that should be taken away and by making them regoed and licensed that right becomes removable

3, no has yet said that isn't a right we're not arguing that we're just saying that maybe it shouldn't be and you should pay for the right to use the road like every other vehicle that uses the roads

4, its YOUR attitude of entitlement that needs to change, I'll tell you now you have changed the way I view push bike rides, I no longer want to be cautious and curtious, what I want to do is contact mythbusters and get that boxing glove attached to the pneumatic ram and attach it between the cab and deck of my truck

5, why is it your vehicles are the only ones on the road that doesn't have any PPE requirements like Zeb said, you should have to wear a real helmut as a minimum as well as the brakes and tyres should have to be checked annually as well as warning and indicator lighting if you get to use the public roads then you should have to follow the same rules as everyone else

:worship:

A lot of butthurt in here....

Just to rub it in, bikes were around before cars, and didn't need paved roads. The government then decided laying bitumen all around the country was a great way of speeding up the cars and trucks, meaning many many deaths over the years. The damage was already done though, horses were gone and bikes a second class mode of outdated transport. But both still prevail today.

I say dig up the old infrastructure, and make way for the future of transport, because it certainly won't involve single occupant cars.

Mate we do get treated like vehicles.

1, good for you, you found another BS article most likely written by some Lycra clad homo with the same BS views you seen to have, which also has no credible facts

What you have said here, especially the Homo part is bad form in my opinion. Have you got a problem with Homosexual people? Maybe we should keep the sluring to minimum and discuss what this thread is about.. . and we do have credible facts. you however do not.

Yeah sorry about that the homo bit was bit far, just pissed off talking to people that want to push their one sided views and not lesson to anyone else's

Please tell me what part of that post, other then the first point,isn't fact

The problem everyone these days wants their cake and to eat as well,

They want to be classed as a vehicle, use the road as they see fit, follow rules only when it suits them at the time and not pay for the privilege of being able to do so

• Like 1

Ok so back the Heathcote road :D 100km limit, single lane, double white line and no asphalt passed the left white line, and a farkin pushy doing 25kmh, now in this case I'm going to use the fact they are classified as a vehicle, I am NOT allow to overtake a vehicle over double white lines so what now I have to sit on 25kmh in a 100kmh zone for the next 6km till we get to over taking lanes yeah, and you still wonder why this topic pisses us off

Yep my day is only getting interrupted for 10secs, right

Mate we do get treated like vehicles.

1, good for you, you found another BS article most likely written by some Lycra clad hipster with the same BS views you seen to have, which also has no credible facts

fixed the post.

coz gays are oks.

hipsters are not.

• Like 1

Read this if you want an insight into the logic behind bike hating. http://helenblackman.wordpress.com/2014/05/02/chris-hoy-cycling-and-the-borg/

1; The "Credible facts" in the debate are the ones I've quoted that indicate in 4 out of 5 incidents where cyclists are either seriously injured or killed; the fault lay with the driver that hit them. The study was done by Adelaide Uni; if you really want; I'll find a full copy of it for you.

That's 80%.

2; It's been done in many countries, yet never achieves the supposed aims of the process. The usual end result is the abandonment of the scheme.

3; So your argument seems to basically be; I pay therefore everyone else should have to pay?

I own 3 registered motor vehicles, and I'm already a licensed rider/driver ; I already pay!

I have to abide by the same road rules when push biking (and I do); what would be the difference in my bicycle license?

4; My attitude doesn't need to change; I ride a bike safely & courteously, and I do a lot of kilometres. I don't hold cars up, and I don't swerve around to be an arsehole.

Let me tell you why.

I have a missus & 2 kids at home, and I want to get home safe.

I've had bottles & cans thrown at me by weak arse little f**king pansies who then speed off with impunity. Then when you catch them at a set of lights; they nearly piss their little Spiderman undies.

I've had a car drive into a intersection where I had right of way, and I went straight into the front quarter, over the bonnet and onto the road on the other side.

Elbow, knee and ankle ground down to the bone and stitches in my ear where the aerial sliced through it.

Did the driver stop to see if I was okay, or even to berate me for damaging their car?

Like f**k they did.

They raced off like a f**king coward and ran home to mummy. None of the good people who DID stop to help me up, and gather up the pieces of my smashed bike, were able to identify the car.

But that car had a number plate and the driver was presumably licensed.

Didn't make one f**king iota of difference.

My brother (who is a national level MTB racer) was clipped by a car & run off the road at 60km/h as he commuted to work and missed hitting a telegraph pole by centimetres.

It could easily have killed him.

Yet I don't think every driver is a f**king retard with an axe to grind against cyclists. There are far more observant courteous drivers who are prepared to give riders space on the road.Perhaps they are riders, perhaps their kids or partners ride bikes; I don't know.

Perhaps they just don't want the death of a cyclist on their conscience, when all they have to do is exercise some patience, or maybe go past a little further away.

5; We do have to wear PPE. You have to wear (in NSW at least) a standards approved helmet at all times. Even motorcyclists don't have to wear a mandatory full face helmet & full leathers.

At night, you have to have forward facing lights & a rear red light. If you don't; you can be fined.

If you speed; you can be fined

If you drink; you can be fined.

If you met me out on the road, I'd be the guy that moved over & waved you through when there was space; I'd be the guy who gave you a wave when you didn't pull out from a side street when I was passing by. I'd be the guy who gave you a wave & maybe had a quick chat at the traffic lights while we waited.

I'm not the arsehole you seem to be painting me; I just want people to understand what can happen if you accidentally clip a cyclist, or squeeze one; just because a mate of a mate said he knew a bloke whose dog once saw a cyclist do some bloody terrible thing out on the road.

We are guys/girls just like you; we love cars, we love driving, we attend club events, we have families,and without the lycra (which I don't wear; I prefer baggies) you'd never know. We just like getting around on a cheap, readily available, and completely legal form of transport.

So the next time you guys joke (tongue in cheek) about throwing spark plugs at cyclists, or being an arsehole because some "homo" on a forum offended your sensibilities; and now you're cut up rough, Imagine someone doing the same to your brother, or your missus, or your kids.

It's all fun & games, until someone with far less intelligence than you goes out & does what you said you might do; because their tiny little mind is filled with righteous indignation.

A Professor at the University of QLD was killed in a hit & run accident over the ANZAC long weekend, whilst participating in an amateur cycle race.

The culprit has gone to ground like the snivelling coward they are. He is one of several already this year.

I'm sure his family would be reassured by your attitude, and I'm sure his life would've been saved had he been in possession of a numberplate and a cycling license.

Cyclists are not all perfect; I'm not pretending they are, even Duncan Gay estimates it is "less than 1% are rogues" yet everyone is losing their minds. When 1% of car "enthusiasts" cause trouble, we distance ourselves from them, saying it's unfair to judge all of us for the actions of a few morons.

When it comes to cyclists; everyone is sharpening the pitchforks against the boogeyman, that is a bloke on a freakin' pushbike.

Don't you see the double standard here?

80% of all cycling deaths & serious injury are the fault of the licensed driver.

THIS is what we should be trying to change, not making cyclist pay for the "right' to ride.

• Like 1

To be serious for a really rare moment...the issue has always been clear and so has the solution. Everybody that uses the road should have a licence. A licence registration and ctp levy should be charged against each individual licence not each vehicle. It should be balanced against each class of vehicle.For example, bikes $10, cars $20, trucks $30 etc. Then you can have as many as you like and pay one fee. Each vehicle should have a licence plate. This is fair, reasonable and adapted. Lastly, bikes shouldn't be allowed on roads with a speed limit greater than 60.

I wholly agree with the rego/CTP being tied to the driver; not the car.
It's a blindingly obvious, and logical way to do it; then you can guarantee all drivers have cover.
You can only ever drive one vehicle at a time, but somehow, I can't see the insurance industry ever letting go of that little cash cow.

I don't think we're ever going to agree on bicycle access, especially once you start legislating licensing, and fees.
If you're going to pay a fee, you will have to accept that bike riders must be allowed to use all of the road network they are paying for; not just the bits that suit drivers.

At night, you have to have forward facing lights & a rear red light. If you don't; you can be fined.

If you speed; you can be fined

If you drink; you can be fined.

and how do we stop repeat offeders?

its not like they have a license we can take...

the vehicles are cheap and dont require a license to buy.

and if going through a speed camera, there is no way to identify them.

How do we pick up repeated DUI offenders in cars?

They don't hand themselves in; visual policing catches them. Why wouldn't this apply to bikes?
It's not like the police send you a ticket in the mail for driving erratically; they pull you over.
That shouldn't be too difficult given the maximum speed of a bicycle
And if you're a repeat offender, why didn't you stop after the last time?

Licensing & registration hasn't stopped habitual drink drivers and unlicensed drivers getting behind the wheel.
Taking their licenses has proven to be extremely ineffective as a deterrent.

This is a far more dangerous situation than a hypothetical unlicensed bike rider.

What are the stats surrounding your argument for drinking & cycling?
How many people are being caught, and how many of those are people who have been banned from driving for the same offence?

As you are no doubt aware; you don't need a drivers license to buy a car.

Are there that many millions escaping from the public revenue from bikes speeding? Really?

And given on most roads with speed cameras; if you were by some miracle actually able to break the speed limit, the camera isn't focussed on the breakdown lane; which is where drivers want cyclists to ride.

The cost is exactly the point. Some people may not have the financial means, and this is why they cycle. What about families with multiple children?

If you lose your car license, do you lose your cycling license? Then what do you do?

I don't understand this evolution of the argument.

We seem to now be moving down the path of punitively punishing everyone who owns a bike because of the selfish actions of a very small group of people in the community. And these people will continue to do what they want because they don't care.

you guys cant win. Bikes shouldnt pay rego.

^ SEE! THIS! It's not about winning, this isn't a battle!

All the arguments, on both sides throughout this entire thread, are essentially about creating an increased awareness, being more responsible & having & USING common sense!

We can argue till the sun comes up, it's not going to change much!

My advice, everybody hassle the crap out of your local MP with your ideas as to how to address the issue, because, lets face it, IT'S GOING TO GET WORSE!