SAU Community

r33 gts brake upgrade

My thoughts are that the actual Nissan caliper is already over engineered on the Skyline range be it R32/33/34 or non Brembo GTRs.

Depending on what power you have, and what rubber you use, you may not need to upgrade the caliper. For the street id be very surprised if you ever ran out of brakes even with the std rotors.

So just be sure you are running good fluid, and good pads. if you want improved feel thru the pedal then get braided lines as well, and if you find you have brake problems then id say look at whether fitting bigger rotors will do the trick.

I am always on the lookout for bigger calipers, but for me its purely toss value as my R32 with 330mm front rotors, good pads, std calipers, braided lines and semi slick tyres has never even looked like fading at the track.

And on the street, then the extra expense is purely for stroke value to see the bigger rotors behind the rim...next on my stroke list is some flashy blue 6 pot calipers :wave: ...so all for brake upgrades, i after all have a brake fetish, but perhaps depending on your application not warranted.

The best brake upgrade in order to shorten stopping distances is good rubber. Are you aware that your car may not actually stop quicker with bigger brakes, the bigger brakes help consistancy more then actual stopiing distances...ill shut up now, ive rambled enough. :cheers:

I agree with Roy. The standard R33 brakes are the same size as R32GTRs so they cant be called small by any stretch.

The most logical question is WHY you want to upgrade? If you have found the brakes you have to be lacking then in what way?

If it is an issue of fading, most likely due to overheating then good pads, top quality fluid and potentially some decent discs should overcome any problems except perhaps the most extreme circuit use.

If it is a feel problem i.e. under hard braking the pedal seems spongy then a master cylinder brace would be the first step, followed by at least new brake hoses or possibly a step up to braided lines.

To get an idea of why, start your car, have someone sit in it and press as hard as they are able to on the brake pedal and watch the master cylinder flexing on the firewall. Often 5mm plus of flex is common and a brace eliminates that.

To answer Eds question. Stainless braided lines will not expand under high pressure like regular rubber brake hoses will. Rubber lines can look or feel great but even new ones will expand with pressure inside them, thereby reducing braking effectiveness.

My rant finished

Ed.... my experiences only, so not claiming that the following is qualified...

My thoughts are that braided brake lines are a bit of a wank. (yers i do have them and yet i still say it) Sure they are superior on paper... but to drive around with rubber then braided, on my car the difference in the feel of the brake pedal was influenced more by the brake pad i was running at the time.

At a circuit driving like a retard trying to be a "fully sik deep braker" i again could not honestly tell you there was any real difference in the pedal feel. :Oops:

It wasnt until recently with about 2 years more driving experience i was able to feel the difference/control brake lock up under hard braking by modulating the brake pedal after having driven a few other cars.

My experiences sure as hell werent back to back, or exact same cars bar the exclusion of braided lines... its just a hunch i now have having driven my car more, and after i have been fortunate enought to have driven others cars.

Maybe i was just a slower learner, or a few steps behind others when i first started driving around a circuit...but the things people say you NEED are lost on the average guy occassionally driving on the circuit....well at least they were on me. So sure do it, it is a much better equation, but if your like me you dont drive your car near hard enough to notice the difference

You need brackets to space the stock calipers out.

You could use Supra discs, they are 324mm, same dimensions as a GTST/GTT rotor except for the size and the center hole is around 6mm smaller.

You could get the supra DBA 5000 series and get the centre hole enlarged once.

Not sure about the legalities of using caliper brakects though.