SAU Community

S A U - N S W Winter 2014 Tech Arvo About E C Us With J E M

GTR-N1

- How will the various functions / capabilities of ECUs change (if at all) with increasingly complicated vehicles coming out of the factory (e.g. from R34 to R35 GT-R; advent of variable valve/camshaft timing; drive-by-wire throttles; CAN BUS systems developed by the vehicle manufacturer)? E.g. does this mean owners have to opt for more capable (read: expensive) ECUs to work with these modern vehicles, as opposed to piggyback options, or vice versa (is there less scope for ECUs with multiple parameters with modern cars)?

- How would JEM plot the various ECUs on the market according to cost vs. capability, and hence which ECUs fall into the resultant quadrants, i.e. high capability, high cost (professional / overkill); high capability, relatively low cost (bargain); low capability, high cost (rip-off); low capability, low cost (on a budget).

- Any emerging trends in ECU design, e.g. advances in logging, ability to adjust settings on the fly for extended track work?

- Why is it important to have someone who is trained on my specific ECU work on my car? If I take it somewhere else, "what could possibly go wrong?"

- Any interesting anecdotes about ECU setups - any catastrophic failures from a POS ECU? Any situations where an ECU meant the difference between winning a race or retiring, etc etc

• Like 1

- How will the various functions / capabilities of ECUs change (if at all) with increasingly complicated vehicles coming out of the factory (e.g. from R34 to R35 GT-R; advent of variable valve/camshaft timing; drive-by-wire throttles; CAN BUS systems developed by the vehicle manufacturer)? E.g. does this mean owners have to opt for more capable (read: expensive) ECUs to work with these modern vehicles, as opposed to piggyback options, or vice versa (is there less scope for ECUs with multiple parameters with modern cars)?

- How would JEM plot the various ECUs on the market according to cost vs. capability, and hence which ECUs fall into the resultant quadrants, i.e. high capability, high cost (professional / overkill); high capability, relatively low cost (bargain); low capability, high cost (rip-off); low capability, low cost (on a budget).

- Any emerging trends in ECU design, e.g. advances in logging, ability to adjust settings on the fly for extended track work?

- Why is it important to have someone who is trained on my specific ECU work on my car? If I take it somewhere else, "what could possibly go wrong?"

- Any interesting anecdotes about ECU setups - any catastrophic failures from a POS ECU? Any situations where an ECU meant the difference between winning a race or retiring, etc etc

Cant wait to hear these answers some great questions right here :)

• Like 2

Hope I can get my tax in nice and early, might be able to book the 33 in for the haltek while im there :P Without the wife knowing of course. Which may be hard cause she will be comming with me.

My question for Adam.

What makes some factory ecus tunable eg nistune, cobb, vcm suite, ecutek etc whilst others cannot be done.

Is it a case of people haven't developed a software/hardware package for certain ecu types or are they impossible to crack the code?

Great!

Requested ECUs up for Adam to discuss are...

Apexi PFC, PFC D-Jetro, Nistune, HKS F-Con Pro-V, Adaptronic, Motec & Haltec

Any others?

I'll throw mine in Syvecs S8, and my usual tuner has just released his EmTron at the recant SEMA, as well as the there is a lot of talk about the GTR specific Morristech Black Box M3

Scott says the software is a bit clunky but it does exactly what its told and does a great job of controlling the engine :)

I've been playing with it a bit and once you figure out how the poms talk it gets easier