SAU Community

K&n High Flow Panel Filter Or Pod With Cai

If done correctly, is there disadvantages or advantages with one another?

So far from gathering information from other topics i know that disadvantages for Panel Filter :

K&N you have to use oil to be effective which is obviously a disadvantage

I heard that stock airbox will never have good enough flow of air compared to a Pod with CAI unless i can modify the stock airbox

Advantages for K&N Panel Filter :

Good for 300kw i heard

Good for Cops

Good for low end power?

Quietness

Disadvantages for Pod :

Legality is a grey area regardless if in box or not

Induction noise (I like it btw)

In summer the engine bay will get hot and heat-soaked despite boxed with CAI

Washing car may get water into the pipe

More expensive to replace

Filtration is poor compared to panel

Advantages for Pod :

Good for highway driving?

Looks better

Induction noise

fuel saving?

Better for top end performance?

So that is my opinion, did i miss anything?

Any more relevant information regarding the benefits of each one i may be missing because i'm thinking of replacing my GTT K&N hi flow panel with a shielded Apexi Pod with CAI for induction noise, fuel economy and acceleration benefits,

I don't like making more unnecessary forum questions so its up to you if you answer my bonus question, i'm after faster acceleration or response, i'm a fan of drag so what mods would you recommend for a near stock auto R34 GTT thanks very much guys :)

Oh i know that i have a pretty much bad reputation here since that thread i made ( You know which one ;) ), i would like to offer my apologies and start fresh with you guys, i have no idea how to remove my signature since someone else helped me with that so just ignore it if you can :D

You have heard wrong, the stock paper/cotton filter is good for around 500kw in the stock airbox. A good cotton element would be my choice. K+N or other oiled filters will coat your AFM in crud.

To match the quality of the cold air induction that Nissan originally designed you would be spending big, for little gain. The only time I agree fitting pods is a good idea is when chasing 500+kw, especially when two pods are used. A decent cold air feed from the front bar into a sealed chamber is best, you want to build up pressure in there preferably. This would probably be instant defect on a road car, so unless it's track only, just keep the stock airbox, it's fine.

post-63525-0-88055200-1412074750_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

You have heard wrong, the stock paper/cotton filter is good for around 500kw in the stock airbox. A good cotton element would be my choice. K+N or other oiled filters will coat your AFM in crud.

To match the quality of the cold air induction that Nissan originally designed you would be spending big, for little gain. The only time I agree fitting pods is a good idea is when chasing 500+kw, especially when two pods are used. A decent cold air feed from the front bar into a sealed chamber is best, you want to build up pressure in there preferably. This would probably be instant defect on a road car, so unless it's track only, just keep the stock airbox, it's fine.

Right cheers mate.

Since you say the stock airbox is fine, is there a better aftermarket airbox or ways to get more airflow for the stock airbox?

You're better off making a cai that goes into the air conditioning pipe, so it is always cool while the ac is running. Proven to get sub 18deg intake temps.

Forgive me for questioning your answer but wouldn't it be better to leave the a/c off? anyways thanks for your answer :)

You've answered your own question.

"Advantages for K&N Panel Filter :

Good for 300kw i heard"

"a near stock auto R34 GTT "

Your car is not going to exceed the airbox flow at that modification level. No need to improve upon its flow. You will never exceed the airbox. No need to buy aftermarket airbox, if your engine will not exceed the flow capable through the stock airbox. As said above, it will support 450-500kw.

You've answered your own question.

"Advantages for K&N Panel Filter :

Good for 300kw i heard"

"a near stock auto R34 GTT "

Your car is not going to exceed the airbox flow at that modification level. No need to improve upon its flow. You will never exceed the airbox. No need to buy aftermarket airbox, if your engine will not exceed the flow capable through the stock airbox. As said above, it will support 450-500kw.

Yeah thanks for the heads up, guess you learn something new each day.