SAU Community

Wheel Nuts

djr81

this is what happened to my studs when the aluminium nuts started to loosen...

IMG_0165_zps2a5ba819.jpg

and this is what happened to the threads of the "alloy" project mu nuts.

image_zpsdc495f39.jpeg

Thing is they are STEEL nuts. The collar on them is aluminium but the nut itself is steel.

I got lock lug nuts and got a special tool to unlock. but it fits on and is only about 10-15cm long. can someone tell me what tool to use to loosen them. I need something with a long lever so i don't think pliers will work :/

You've lost the tool or not sure what it fits into? Usually it is either a half inch drive or into another socket 19mm long series or similar?

Yeh chrome moly is steel alloyed with chrome (as used in stainless steel) and molybdenum. It weighs the same as steel but has a higher yield and tensile strength than carbon steel.

Because it is stronger you can often get away with using thinner sections which is why people think of weight saving when they talk about CrMo (eg roll cages)

• Like 1

It was these ones mate,,,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ARK-Lug-Wheel-Nuts-4pc-M12-x-1-25-Subaru-Nissan-Suzuki-/380314944426?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item588c8983aa#ht_1338wt_999

Same shop but the heads are 17mm not 19mm,,,My wed wheels won't really take 19mm heads.

Cheers

Neil

Contacted ARK directly and have 20 on the way for $90. Win.