SAU Community

How Are Cars Treated When Shipping Between Japan And Australia?

MP_R33

Another one.

These cars were write-offs due to flood damage but the fact this company had those extended fork tynes, suitable for end-on approach is concerning. Obviously not the first time he's handled cars that way.

I don't think its really a problem is it? Flood damaged cars are going to be scrapped for parts and the chassis is not going to be one of those recycled parts.

I'm using a company called autohub so the quarantine is done already in Japan which is good.

I just hope they don't use a forklift. Time will tell.

got my car in through Autohub in November. car was fine, rails looked exactly the same from pics post-auction in japan.

best way to see if theres damage during transit is no touch-up paint. because they'd do it before it go sold, but people wouldnt bother once its sold.

I've worked at the wharf on and off for 10 years, Webb Dock - Port Melbourne. I only ever drove cars, I had nothing to do with containers other than occasional chain lashing. Cars come in with the absolute minimum of fuel. If they stall on the ship, a support crew with jump starters and fuel is radioed. Obviously they put fuel in the car, but if that doesn't get it running they tow it. This applies to new and used cars. Porsche don't put there 300 thousand dollar plus cars in containers and I wouldn't either. The ships are purposed built car carriers. Yes the cars are parked within 100-150mm on both sides and within 300-500mm end-to-end but they are well tied down and driven by professionals. By professionals I don't mean Craig Lowndes, I mean people who drive around at 25km/h and park and unpark all day long, and nothing else. And do so safely such that typically per 100,000 cars only 2 or 3 are damaged, and those could be so minor the dealer buffs it out. Cars are not moved with forklifts. That's just silly.

• Like 5

If one pays insurance, the moot point is that whoever takes out that insurance is entitled to a PDS don't you think?

Just to cover myself 'er my car, I took out full comprehensive as soon as the carrier-ship entered Australian waters.

Yes, whilst the Insurance Company is told of its whereabouts.

They only require the VIN#.

Engine# will also help, but that and the Rego# can be supplied later in most cases depending on the insurer.

• 2 months later...
My r34's low fuel light was on after the auction & before it was driven on the boat .And it was still on when i picked it up from compliance 10 weeks later.

Makes me sick... This was exactly the same case with my V35 Skyline... and now again, with my V36 Skyline! I double (and triple checked) the Pre Auction and Post Auction photos... and then saw it for myself 2 months later in person when I went to pickup my vehicle (after landing, transport, compliance and regency had all been completed on an empty tank).... Grrrrr! :angry:

Edited by Sikahalv

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I have currently got an R32 GT-R on the way from Japan and I received photos of it sitting at the port.

One thing that worried me is that the car appears to have very little fuel in it. Pictured below:

2ikbd3c.jpg

I'm just wondering, if cars are this low on fuel do they actually fill them up enough to continue driving them or do they just decide to let it run out and then move it with a forklift? Really worried about the sills and rails being damaged as I have heard that they arent that careful when it comes to those kind of things :(

Thanks guys.

Sorry for the delay but do you still own this car or did it end up at Carizma Imports?

The car is stunning and perfect! It's in the top 3 JDM's I've seen and I've seen heaps!

The scratch on the steering wheel is identical to yours in the photo.

Thanks,

Bob.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've work in a container in a couple of locations around Melbourne and unloaded many car containers from japan. 5 cars in a forty foota 3 bumper to bumper a wooden frame was built along the walls touching panels in places and the tracks for the top two cars where pressing on the roofs on cars below. Also packed in and around spare body kits and other bits and peace's . Most of the small bits and peace's left before customs came.

• Like 1

Ye that's my old car

Sorry for the delay but do you still own this car or did it end up at Carizma Imports?

The car is stunning and perfect! It's in the top 3 JDM's I've seen and I've seen heaps!

The scratch on the steering wheel is identical to yours in the photo.

Thanks,

Bob.

Ye my old car. Definitely not the best example going around, had a few things that were bothering me about it, hence why it ended up being sold through there. Lets just say auction sheets and even some of the inspectors of vehicles in Japan are very far from a reliable..

• Like 1

Ye that's my old car

Ye my old car. Definitely not the best example going around, had a few things that were bothering me about it, hence why it ended up being sold through there. Lets just say auction sheets and even some of the inspectors of vehicles in Japan are very far from a reliable..

certainly sounds like sour grapes there, did something not go your way. Its a fantastic example.

lucky for you spec savers have a 2 for 1 offer this month

• Like 1

Perfect if you have no idea about R32 GTRs. If you got the 2 for 1 deal at spec savers you'd notice the kink on the right side of the radiator support. The front end doesn't line up properly.. Tool kit in the boot was in good condition so I held onto that. ;)

• Like 1

Perfect if you have no idea about R32 GTRs. If you got the 2 for 1 deal at spec savers you'd notice the kink on the right side of the radiator support. The front end doesn't line up properly.. Tool kit in the boot was in good condition so I held onto that. ;)

always love a self appointed expert. Well seeing as we are both in sydney, next time out we can discuss it whilst i'm standing in front of you.

look forward to meeting you.

cheers

quiet the opposite , i think the car is fantastic, if you think differently thats your call. Personally i think its gutless to bag peoples cars whilst hiding behind your keyboard.( hence my offer).

i would enjoy the opportunity to view your car and see what a perfect example looks like, and you may even be able to educate me. So when you feel the need to dance, call me.

Was speaking to JON from carisma last night about this, he tells of a very different story. Quiet happy to post his emails about you.

thanks

Edited by grpa9x