SAU Community

R34 Gtr Garrett -5 Turbo Lag, Need Advise

baicai

Nah just the dirty thirties that keep breaking gearboxes

LOL!!!, *sniff sniff sniff* I smell dirty thirty envy :D

Don't worry and keep trying, you may beat one one day, just remember " I think I can I think I can i think I can" :P

Any gearbox behind a engine pumping the better part of 3x the factory out put is already living on borrowed time no matter if it's a 2.6 or 3.0 :/

• Like 1

Hi guys

After more research have decided to get the following.

1. Dump pipe: HPI dumps 76mm or Tomei expreme 68mm, which one is better?

2. Manifold: when I get the dumps installed should I also get exhaust manifolds as well? Again HPI vs Tomei expreme which one?

3. Exhaust: Custom twin 3inch with twin cats into 4 inch or twin 3 inch Y pipe into 3.5 inch off the shelf Tomei?

Any feed back from people who have these similar parts would be much appreciated.

Hpi

Stock manifolds. Port match them if you want. I'm making over 470 rwkw through -5's on stock (although tickled to match the ported exhaust ports and match the turbine housings which have been taken out to gasket size) manifolds. The Tomei ones give you nothing apart from a lighter wallet and a sticker. Nice paper weight though when they crack!

Twin 3 inch into a proper 4 inch.

Put the stock airbox back in.

Play around with cams. Advance intake, retard exhaust.

Report back.

That's really as much as you can do before engine out, increasing capacity and the wallet emptying exercise that comes with turning that corner.

• Like 1

Hpi

Stock manifolds. Port match them if you want. I'm making over 470 rwkw through -5's on stock (although tickled to match the ported exhaust ports and match the turbine housings which have been taken out to gasket size) manifolds. The Tomei ones give you nothing apart from a lighter wallet and a sticker. Nice paper weight though when they crack!

Twin 3 inch into a proper 4 inch.

Put the stock airbox back in.

Play around with cams. Advance intake, retard exhaust.

Report back.

That's really as much as you can do before engine out, increasing capacity and the wallet emptying exercise that comes with turning that corner.

Hi piggaz thanks for the tip for the exhausts, with regards to the airbox are you saying it will lower the lag a bit compared to pods? And at what power level later on do I need to ditch the airbox?

Well as I said in my PM, I'm still running an airbox at 470 rwkw plus.

Unless the pods are boxed off, I can't help but think about the hot air you're supplying the engine for starters. The factory box has an intake from the passenger guard which is a damn healthy size and the front snorkle. I've always wanted to do a back to back between pods and the airbox but I can't see it being a restriction as yet.

Lots of GTRs running 3.5" without issues, but bigger is better, i would also go 4".

Make sure you have enough ground clearance under the rear subframe and chassis if your lowered and get it tucked up tight to the car, nothing worse than dinting and scraping it over speed humps.

• Like 1

Well as I said in my PM, I'm still running an airbox at 470 rwkw plus.

Unless the pods are boxed off, I can't help but think about the hot air you're supplying the engine for starters. The factory box has an intake from the passenger guard which is a damn healthy size and the front snorkle. I've always wanted to do a back to back between pods and the airbox but I can't see it being a restriction as yet.

is your 4" loud? just 2 mufflers?

I have the system they are describing on my 34 and it is quiter then the 80mm Jap catback that came on the car and I have the rear diffuser fitted without having to modify it :thumbsup:

Though for a 2.6 with -5s 3.5" would be plenty

The snorkel from the airbox to the side gaurd will be blocked, pull it out and remove the cap, airbox v pods will have 2/5ths of F all difference to lag, it's the hard pipe bit that bolts to the turbo that needs modifying, that is all I have done to my 3.0 and I have run up 458kws at all 4 with fancy -10s

While we are on the topic of exhausts. I've got hks gt-ss (-9's) turbos going in atm with hks dumps.

Saw a bargain the other week for a full 4" decat exhaust with tuned length front pipes.

I am considering buying it as I have a 3" bolt on jap system with high flow cat and front pipes but the cat-back has 2.5" restrictions inside I believe.

Obviously it will be noisy but I am afraid it will be a bit crazy on the noise scale. Only looking to push like 330kw later on when I do the other supporting modifications.

I can't decide so looking for some input.

Is it worth getting the 4" now (or at all), or safer to stay with the 3" and upgrade to a 3.5" later when I will be pushing to 330? The car is a daily so legalities are another issue.

While we are on the topic of exhausts. I've got hks gt-ss (-9's) turbos going in atm with hks dumps.

Saw a bargain the other week for a full 4" decat exhaust with tuned length front pipes.

I am considering buying it as I have a 3" bolt on jap system with high flow cat and front pipes but the cat-back has 2.5" restrictions inside I believe.

Obviously it will be noisy but I am afraid it will be a bit crazy on the noise scale. Only looking to push like 330kw later on when I do the other supporting modifications.

I can't decide so looking for some input.

Is it worth getting the 4" now (or at all), or safer to stay with the 3" and upgrade to a 3.5" later when I will be pushing to 330? The car is a daily so legalities are another issue.

just remove the 2.5" restrictions for 330@wheels.

Found this about Nismo inlet pipes which says gives better response and boost pick up.

http://www.r33gt-r.com/2011/10/nismo-air-inlet-piping.html

Has anyone installed the Nismo pipes or a Greddy induction kit to their car, feel any difference?

Modify the twin turbo pipe for $50. Good enough.