SAU Community

Who Are You?

PranK

Hello, my name is Tim and I'm from MD (USA). I just recently purchased a 90 Gts-t that I plan on really just cleaning up well and keeping clean, not modding too terribly much. Car has been fun so far but I just put it on jack stands for a couple of weeks to take care of some surface rust underneath and some deeper rust in trunk that will be cut out. Hope to meet a lot more US members!

• Like 1

Hello, my name is Tim and I'm from MD (USA). I just recently purchased a 90 Gts-t that I plan on really just cleaning up well and keeping clean, not modding too terribly much. Car has been fun so far but I just put it on jack stands for a couple of weeks to take care of some surface rust underneath and some deeper rust in trunk that will be cut out. Hope to meet a lot more US members!

:welcome:

I love that R32's are now at an age where they can be semi-restored. Clean R32's make my knees weak.

Welcome Emil, Tim and Brian!

Do you find Skylines Australia as being a large bank of resource material?

Is the popularity and thus the chatter about Nissan Skylines escalating noticeably in the past year or two?

Do you see R32 GTRs running around in your home cities?

Kind Regards...

Terry, to answer your questions:

Yes, I have found a lot of useful information on this site.It is definitely handy that there was another English speaking country that has had these cars for a long time, and that I was able to find a forum dedicated to them.

I have not noticed an increase in chatter about Skylines in the US. I think for the most part the fact that they were illegal for so long and they are so "old" at this point has caused most people to sort of forget about them. I do get a number of people who wave or give a thumbs up when they see me driving mine though.

I have only ever seen 1 Skyline in person other than my own, but the city I live in is only a "mid-sized" city (700,000 in the city, around 2 million if you count the suburbs). I am sure there are more in larger cities, but I still imagine they are very rare over here.

• Like 2

Welcome Emil, Tim and Brian!

Do you find Skylines Australia as being a large bank of resource material?

Is the popularity and thus the chatter about Nissan Skylines escalating noticeably in the past year or two?

Do you see R32 GTRs running around in your home cities?

Kind Regards...

Let me offer a different perspective to GoneGoose's answers.

First, there's definitely been an increase in interest in Skylines since the R32 became legal. If there weren't, major auto blogs in the US wouldn't be writing articles like this:

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/08/05/nissan-gtr-skyline-collector-car-values/

http://jalopnik.com/americans-you-are-why-r32-skyline-prices-are-through-t-1721724438

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/2015/08/18/why-the-r32-nissan-skyline-gt-r-has-doubled-in-price/

And if you go to other Skyline and GT-R forums you'll find a lot of them are not only seeing a large increase in US membership but also changing to accommodate that growth. Skylineowners.com in the UK has had a US section for some time but they recently added a dedicated US "for sale section" because of the increased American membership. On GTRLife,com, I've been a member for over half a decade because of my R35 and it's always been an R35-centered forum but this last month they changed the "Legacy GT-R" subforum into a part of the main forum under "Skyline GT-R" because more R32 owners were showing up.

As for seeing them on the streets, I don't know where GoneGoose lives but here on the West Coast, Skylines are still rare but not that unusual anymore. Even in my little city of only 100,000 people or so in Arizona we already have four R32s - my Nismo, another GT-R, a blue GTS-t, and another unknown R32 model. A friend of mine has sold 3 R32 GT-Rs to new owners in other cities in Arizona. When I went to the importer I bought my Nismo from they had 5 Nismos getting ready to ship out - mine, one going to Tennesee, another staying in Cali, and two to unknown states. That's in addition to the 3 "regular" R32s, plus one Motorex R33, in the warehouse waiting to be sold. And two other Arizonans bought non-Nismo GT-Rs from them - I was there when one of them was picked up by the new owner.

Of the new R32 owners I've talked to on the forums most are on the West Coast. The US is a huge country so whether you see a Skyline or not greatly varies from one location to another but there's certainly a lot more of them now and no shortage of interest in them. They're certainly not forgotten or too old because mine always gets a lot of chatter. My friend told me the local Facebook car circles blew up yesterday after my car was spotted stopped on the road after I left the paint shop lol.

Thanks for this information guys. I should then be able to assume that whilst popularity of owning an R32 GTR is on the rise, people upon seeing them will do their own research to find just how phenomenal they've been in the track performance stakes eh?

Thus the increase in chatter on Fb, blogs and NAGTROC...

Would it be true that most interest will be coming from those who are 45 yrs old and under?

Thanks for this information guys. I should then be able to assume that whilst popularity of owning an R32 GTR is on the rise, people upon seeing them will do their own research to find just how phenomenal they've been in the track performance stakes eh?

Thus the increase in chatter on Fb, blogs and NAGTROC...

Would it be true that most interest will be coming from those who are 45 yrs old and under?

Most interested people in the Skylines here in the States are mid-30s or younger - it's the Playstation generation basically that grew up with imports. Older enthusiasts tend to prefer the domestics because muscle cars are what they grew up with although with the size of the US there are still tons of older import fans that are at least aware of the cars especially among Asians like me.

FWIW, I am in Portland, OR. So west coast but without a major port, and we don't have the car culture like the southern parts of the west coast. I am sure there are more than 2 of us in Portland with Skylines, but I have never seen one other than mine on the road, and only saw the 1 other one at an informal car show.

I agree that the car itself has not been forgotten, but I don't spend a lot of time around car enthusiasts and the general population doesn't seem to be all that aware of them at this point. With that said, for ever hour I spend driving it I probably get 3-5 people who give a thumbs up, or take a picture, but I am not sure if that is because they know the Skyline, or they just notice that I am on the wrong side of the car.

I would definitely agree that the people who seem to notice and compliment the car are mid-30s and under like GSX-R35 said. Other than 1 older gentleman from Australia who apparently used to own one in Australia before moving to the US at least.

• 2 months later...

I am Finally behind the wheel of my own GTR. Its about time.. 9 month import process start to finish. I'm from Pittsburgh PA and looking forward to learning more here. I've been lurking here for 4 years now patientlyawaiting forthe 25 years to come. Anybody else on the east coast?

And most importantly does Anyone know of any shops they'd trust to work on a GTR / RB26

Currently my car has HKS Hi-Power Induction

HKS Hard Pipes

Midori Seibi Ti pipes

Custom 100mm exhauzt with 4 (wtf!) Mufflers

Apex'i Power FC D-Jetro

Nismo Coppermix Twin disk Clutch

Cusco Street Zero A Coils

Tomei HiCAS Eliminator 2

Nismo Knob

..And at some point, someone ripped of my Nismo Front and Rear strut braces ... :-0

post-141835-0-42651800-1448231343_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

So I figured I'd post here being American and all lol

Just got my 89 Skyline GTS-T Type M last week. I have been spending lots of time researching parts and common problems with these cars. My car is all stock but not all original.

20151111_133613.jpg

20151121_133656.jpg

20151121_133721.jpg

Hope all is well for everyone out there!

Edited by B-Turbo
  • Like 2

Hello all, my name is Emil. I live in the US and I currently own a Skyline R32 GTS-T. I have always been a huge Skyline fan since I was kid and was so excited when I found out about the 25 year rule - I rushed to get one. She's in good shape and has no major issues. More than racing, I consider myself a car enthusiast and constantly try to take of her as much as possible. I also have a youtube channel called skylinedude where I talk about my daily life with the car (sorry if this seems like self-promotion). I was invited by an awesome dude by the name of Mark from Australia who seems to be quite the Skyline fan. I'm happy he introduced me to this site and I look forward to learning more about my car!

Gday Emil , glad you could finally make it to SAU . ;) I just found out you sold your 32 for an R35 GTR , totally caught me by surprise .

Cheers :cheers:

Mark

Do you guys find it hard switching between LHD and RHD cars, especially shifting with the other hand and all?

I suppose being a 5 star hotel valet for a month would fix that eh?