SAU Community

Boost Controller

Hi All,

I have spent few hours looking into few different types of boost controllers.

As some of you may know my car is r34 skyline and I want to get something reliable and future proof that also looks nice and is featuristic

so far I have looked at hks,greddy , bltz , apexi , gizzmo and few others and all seem to do the same job .

the main one that stands out is the hks but pricey at £300 for the evc-s but I rather have the evc which is almost £500

next is blitz which also allows you to monitor other sensors which normally power fc allows you to see.

as it stands I am really struggling with any more cost but also want one so badly

so if you were me which one would you have picked?

are there cheap alternatives that are good quality and worth a try ?

I like to have the ability to monitor other ecu parameters from it

many thanks

And really, just about ANY boost controller will do a good job of controlling boost. All the rest of the stuff on them is just fancy wanky shit that you don't and won't ever really need to use. So, if you want some wanky shit, just buy the one with the wanky shit you want. Otherwise, as I said, just about any EBC will do. I'm using a many years old Profec. I'm only using that because I broke my home built pneumatic boost controller (that I built 15 years ago) and thought it was perhaps time I updated.

• Like 1

Get a turbosmart as they're aus owned. Or wait till they've setup shop in bermingham but that could take a while.

Mbc ebc it's just a matter of what you want and need and there is plenty of info out there on what each one does. Check out the website autospeed for a full run down on each

Run two vacuum lines, one from the turbo actuator and the other from the manifold into the cabin. Insert the turbo line into your right nostril and the other into your left nostril, or vice versa if your left handed. With practice you can learn to control your boost when YOU need it. YOU are the boost controller. Driving your car will be like wearing a second skin.

• Like 1

did that but really fancy something that shows gauges etc which just realised the ecu talk is a good choise

also there is informetec from greddy but it is obd 2

But in principle it needs to be boost controller so may just get the cheap gizzmo ones. are they reputable ?

I have looked at all options they offer and hks seems to offer boost control per throttle position rpm etc where as gizmoo is pretty basic

If i were you, and clearly i'm not, i'd buy the most expensive and fancy one with the most options, so you have covered all bases. Plus chicks are impressed by colorful flashy stuff so will be wowed if they ever ride in your passenger area.

I found the gizzmo one hard to use, and easy to lose a setting cause the buttons aren't that responsive. Go blitz or hks. I think we both agree, money is no object so don't even take that into consideration.

• Like 1

money is an object after spending quite a bit so far and here is what is left so almost broke

front disc and pad

radius rod bush

maybe entire coilover as the current ones at the back are shot and making a squeeking and even bang noise

hks delete

front intercooler

550 cc injectors( is it true the cc somehow represents the max hp ?) is r34 GTT 340 by standard?

turbo

insurance

exhaust manifold

and that is few k so not having £400 spent on boost gauge helps tremendously

550 cc injectors( is it true the cc somehow represents the max hp ?) is r34 GTT 340 by standard?

Lol somehow? Ofcourse it does. Thats like the basic principle of how a combustion engine works. The max amount of fuel you can inject into the engine per any given amount of time will limit how much power you can get out of it. Did you add Aftermarket ECU to that list along with the injectors? Cos you will need it.

Edited by sonicz

turbosmart mbc. The best as my testing had showed.

Why a new manifold with only 550 inj? Hypergear showed that the standard manifold will bring on boost sooner and gives large power. Look through the rb25 dyno thread to see power with mods lists.

You might be able to get the rear adjustables rebuilt, if not look into mca, also aus owned and do great work.

• Like 1

If you get a Link ecu you will not need a separate boost controller because the Link will do that via a Mac Valve. Also if you plug in a lap top you can read all the parameters you want. And as a bonus you will be able to tune your engine properly.

money is an object after spending quite a bit so far and here is what is left so almost broke

front disc and pad

radius rod bush

maybe entire coilover as the current ones at the back are shot and making a squeeking and even bang noise

hks delete

front intercooler

turbo

insurance

exhaust manifold

and that is few k so not having £400 spent on boost gauge helps tremendously

Get used to spending money if you want to do modifications. Doing them right is essential or you will end up doing it more than once.

Plus as already mentioned most boost controllers have heaps of wank factor functions embedded and all provide the same basic needs.

Personally I'd have boost controlled through the ECU rather than a separate unit.