SAU Community

Returning Member Saying Hi

riceline

Hi All,

So after a very long time away from Skylines and the club I have recently re-joined/newed my membership.

The last time I was a member was back in 2006/2007 during the early RB30DET building days (page 2 of the dyno results). Well back then I was younger and much more willing to let my impatience get in the way with a willingness to do things on the cheap. This ended up with a RB30DET that ran, but no where near the potential I desired. An extreme lack of budget was the deciding factor on modifications, maintenance and fuel.

So 10 years on I got married, completed some higher education (yet for some unknown masochistic reason I'm still doing this) and settled into a career. Since 2008 the old R33 has predominately sat waiting for me to return to it. I imported the car from Japan when I was 18 and knew it was never going to be sold despite some offers over the years. It has been started a few times here and there but mostly neglected.

For a few years I suppressed my car related desires with various "car" hobbies such as RC car racing, small event photography and large portions of iRacing (online simulated racing - Very good actually especially in a sim rig). These have not provided enough and my wife even noticed the change in my demeanor and said to me "your not going to get rid of it so do what you want with it".

Thus began the restoration plan :D

I have prepared most of what I can think of in an excel document with links to online stores and 95% of it is actual pricing rather than some unrealistic expectation of this being a cheap process. If anybody would be interested I have shared this and would appreciate feedback. A whole lot has changed since back then and I have fully abused the search feature to construct the proposed build. The goal ultimately is to build "my supercar".

Currently getting around in my Focus XR5 that I just love, a great car that is not outstanding at any one thing but just heaps of fun in most. I hope to attend a few club events with it.

Goal is for a 600HP street car, but I will be very happy with anything 500+. A weekend toy set up with reliable/proven parts and able to be taken to any style of event for some fun. Not in a rush in anyway what so ever, currently thinking this will be a 2 year build. I have lots of other ideas but I hate to think how bored you may be now reading this.

Thank you for reading and I hope to hear your feedback.

Cheers

Skyline1.xlsx

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• Embrace the freedom of casual encounters on the best dating app in town! Verified Maidens Superlative Сasual Dating
    • Slimline sub on the rear parcel shelf is doable. Pioneer TS-WX140DA is only 70mm high.   
    • People like Johnny Dose Bro might be laughing at my post because I accidentally added 100mm to my numbers. 350-355 is indeed the lower limit. 450 is off-road Skyline spec.
    • What is the "compromise" that you think will happen? Are you thinking that something will get damaged? The only things you have to be concerned about with spherical jointed suspension arms are; Arguments with the constabulary wrt their legality (they are likely to be illegal for road use without an engineering certificatation, and that may not be possible to obtain). A lot more NVH transmitted through to the passengers (which is hardly a concern for those with a preference for good handling, anyway). Greatly increased inspection and maintenance requirements (see above points, both).   It is extremely necessary to ask what car you are talking about. Your discussion on strut tops, for example, would be completely wrong for an R chassis, but be correct for an S chassis. R32s have specific problems that R33/4 do not have. Etc. I have hardened rubber bushes on upper rear control arms and traction rods. Adjustable length so as to be able to set both camber and bump steer. You cannot contemplate doing just the control arms and not the traction arms. And whatever bushing you have in one you should have in the other so that they have similar characteristics. Otherwise you can get increased oddness of behaviour as one bushing flexes and the other doesn't, changing the alignment between them. I have stock lower rear arms with urethane bushes. I may make changes here, these are are driven by the R32's geometry problems, so I won't discuss them here unless it proves necessary. I have spherical joints in the front caster rods. I have experienced absolutely no negatives and only positives from doing so. They are massively better than any other option. I have sphericals in the FUCAs, but this is driven largely by the (again) R32 specific problems with the motion of those arms. I just have to deal with the increased maintenance required. Given how much better the front end behaves with the sphericals in there.....I'd probably be tempted to go away from my preference (which is not to have sphericals on a road car, for 2 of the 3 reasons in the bulleted list above), just to gain those improvements. And so my preference for not using sphericals (in general) on a road car should be obvious. I use them judiciously, though, as required to solve particular problems.
    • Easiest way to know is to break out the multimeter and measure it when cold, then measure all the resistances again once it gets hot enough to misfire. Both the original ignitor and the J Replace version. Factory service manual will have the spec for the terminal measurements.