SAU Community

R32 Gtr Factory Oil Temp Gauge With Aftermarket Sender

gdawg

I'm looking for an aftermarket oil temp sender that is compatible with the factory oil temp gauge. Ideally operating over the same range to give similar readings on the analogue gauge.

Why? I've recently pieced together the motor (rb26) deleting the factory oil cooler, filter housing, etc. replacing it with an RB20 item with aftermarket relocation/cooler kit. The factory oil pressure sender fitted into a port on the block which worked out sweet. There is however no spare metric holes for the oil temp sender. The aftermarket filter relocation and cooler kit I got has provision for a 1/8 NPT or similar sensor of some sort, therefore I'm looking for something plug and play I can hook up so I get an indication in the cabin

What have others done to address this

Thanks

Greendog

Edited by gdawg

Glad to hear its not a stupid question. I couldn't find anything in a previous thread. If someone has seen something embedded in an old thread, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send us in the right direction.

Cheers

Perhaps my intention wasn't clear. I wasn't talking about using brass fittings to adapt the thread. Assuming the remote hose and lines are speedflow (for example) then use a tee piece from the same range to simply extend one of the lines and put the sensor in through the side of the tee piece so it is essentially

in line.

Hence my suggestion. Oil temp sensor has to be IN the flow (unlike the pressure sensor which can be in a setup like Cal's above which probably wouldn't actually have oil in it!).

Think about it. The oil lines to the cooler/filter/whatever is remote mounted are like 1/2" or larger. So it would be trivial to arrange for an M10 male threaded sensor to go in through the side of a tee piece, with the oil flowing along the straight side of the T.

Haha wow, I forgot we were talking oil temp sensor here.......... Yeah what I have posted wont work well at all for that

If I was doing that I would be running it on my oil cooler lines anyway. I was going to suggest a male to female coupler with a port in it for a gauge sensor, but it appears M10 threaded ones are very rare. you could always drill and tap it out if you were desperate. The couplers arent made of titanium. The only issue I see is there being enough meat in some fittings to do so, as below not sure if it will work

1_430512_400_400.jpg