SAU Community

Waste Spark Vs Coils For Rb20/25+t..

Want to beef up the ignition system on my R32 RB25DE+T running all the usual stage one mods..

Currently running factory coils over gapped NGK plugs...

Theres 2 worth while options..

Aftermarket Coils (Ultra-Spark, YellowJackets etc..) OR A waste spark setup KEEPING IN MIND THIS IS A + T ENGINE.

I would opt for aftermarket coils if it was a regular DET engine but because of the turbo conversion I am wondering if waste spark is the way to go on the basis that it fires twice, once per bang stroke one per suck stroke..

Whos had experience with running different setups? What works best with the +T engines?

All info appreciated! :)

Cheers again guys

2 points.

1) The ONLY replacement coil packs worth considering are Nissan and Splitfire. Use others at your own risk.

2) Wasted spark has NO advantages, and only exists because OEMs were cheap bastards looking to get multi-coil on the cheap.

If you want to replace the coils more completely than using original type coil packs, then the GM truck coils are the sensible option.

All this has been covered literally to the death (as in on and on and on for so long as to bore us to death) on here.

• Like 1

Have u got pics or info on botch ones?

There not botched, Im just running factory coils atm which work fine but theres a little misfire, quality aftermarket coils can help the RB engine run smoother, Ive seen the difference between standard and aftermarket coils a few times and quality aftermarket items seem to always work better, Ive seen a few waste-spark setups which work fine too

Edited by Paulusc44

Quality aftermarket only seem to work better than genuine coils as the genuine coils there compared to are 20 years old, never seen the slightest hint that bolt in aftermarkets perform any better than new oem. The ls coil is a differnt thing all together though

A couple things:

1) the only coil set up (and I currently run it) I would even consider is the Delphi D585 coils (also known as LS2 truck coils, yes American V8 coils). These coils are the hot sh*t in the custom world as they are verified to put out more joules than just about anything out there on an actual Oscilloscope. Not marketing, BS, rumors, "oh my buddy's cousin's sister runs them," actual energy readings. Mojo performance makes a COP bracket for a reasonable price for the RB26 I know. I think he offers for the 25 as well, but go to his website and ask. I think the Audi R8 coils are also supposed to be pretty good but I haven't seen any ACTUAL data on them, just hearsay and I know they fit well. Spark energy aside, the audi and ls2 coils are good ideas because they get rid of the crap factory ignitor.

2) waste spark means absolutely nothing. it's just a coil firing concurrent with another coil firing. it does nothing for the other cylinder (that spark event is "wasted" hence the name). It allows you to run an engine on 3 ignition drivers instead of 6. If anything, wastespark reduces the effectiveness of your ignition because at high rpms, your coils could potentially run out of dwell time between spark events. that is basically not going to happen but it's the only event in which wastespark/sequential ignition may make a difference. Don't confuse this with sequential injection which IS a big deal. Your stock ECU already does sequential ignition and injection. Don't mess with it.

Oscilloscopes measure Voltage not energy? I would be very surprised if it would read the secondary output current accurately without blowing up, no matter how it was measured. Sounds like hearsay to me, I want to see the youtube clip.

better price and he is in AUS http://ls2rb.com/than mojo . I went with the D514a doe

A couple things:

1) the only coil set up (and I currently run it) I would even consider is the Delphi D585 coils (also known as LS2 truck coils, yes American V8 coils). These coils are the hot sh*t in the custom world as they are verified to put out more joules than just about anything out there on an actual Oscilloscope. Not marketing, BS, rumors, "oh my buddy's cousin's sister runs them," actual energy readings. Mojo performance makes a COP bracket for a reasonable price for the RB26 I know. I think he offers for the 25 as well, but go to his website and ask. I think the Audi R8 coils are also supposed to be pretty good but I haven't seen any ACTUAL data on them, just hearsay and I know they fit well. Spark energy aside, the audi and ls2 coils are good ideas because they get rid of the crap factory ignitor.

2) waste spark means absolutely nothing. it's just a coil firing concurrent with another coil firing. it does nothing for the other cylinder (that spark event is "wasted" hence the name). It allows you to run an engine on 3 ignition drivers instead of 6. If anything, wastespark reduces the effectiveness of your ignition because at high rpms, your coils could potentially run out of dwell time between spark events. that is basically not going to happen but it's the only event in which wastespark/sequential ignition may make a difference. Don't confuse this with sequential injection which IS a big deal. Your stock ECU already does sequential ignition and injection. Don't mess with it.

post-116762-14454967344381_thumb.jpgpost-116762-14454967777081_thumb.jpg

There's some photos of my Bosch setup - sorry for the delay!

The coils are Bosch HEC715. I bought 6 of them (brand new) from Microtech on Gladesville for $225.00.

Only issue with them is that they don't have an inbuilt igniter so you gotta get them setup through an external igniter.