SAU Community

R32 Gts-4 Rb26dett Swap

66gt40lm

Alright, so I've searched around a bit about this topic and haven't found much about it. Usually, people just argue whether gearboxes/diffs will fit and which ones are better or say to get an RB25 NEO. I've already made my decision about those (keeping R32 GTS-4 diffs/rebuilt gearbox) and am on the part about the actual engine, which will be an RB26.

So, from what I understand, the engine should drop straight in and, if you have the correct harness/ECU, it shouldn't need wiring done. If I remember correctly, the tachometer will need switched as they are different between the two. Is that correct or no? Also, another MAF if I end up keeping it TT, but the possibility is there of going single turbo before install, so that is tentative. Beyond that, as far as the engine going in, it should just drop in and be good, correct? Obviously, intercooler/piping work will need done as well, but I'll get there when I get there.

Like I said, all the posts I've read are people arguing about diffs/gearboxes or saying get a NEO RB25 instead. I got tired of reading those unhelpful posts. If anyone has any other changes that are required for this swap, that will be very helpful!

List so far:

RB26DETT

ECU/harness

Tachometer

MAF(s)?

Thanks for the info, I thought I read that the tacho didn't work right between 20 and 26's. I guess I will find out.

I am rebuilding the gearbox anyways as I want to keep the gearing in it. I'm going to be getting a GTR rebuild kit and see if it fits, so internals minus the gears themselves will be GTR anyways. Like I said, that's already decided and is being sorted out. All I needed to know is the engine itself, so thank you very much for that information!

When you say cut, do you mean to fit intercooler piping? As far as the engine, I do plan on swapping a single turbo to it prior to install, as well as removing the charcoal filter and air conditioning unit (if it's even on it). The fan may be getting removed as well in exchange for slimmer electric fans, but I'm going to do more research on that as the time gets closer. I'd imagine that should clear sufficient space to not have to cut anything other than intercooler piping, or is there something else that requires cutting to fit?

So, the problem with front half cut cars is that there are probably none in the U.S. right now. I can, however, get the RB26 here. So, I'm having to go that route until there are actual ways to get these front half cuts.

It'll be faster and most likely cheaper plus you get the gtr panels for you to source a half cut and do the conversion in 24 hours, drop the subframe and bolt it straight in. A bit of work with the front diff since you are keeping it. There is a reason why everyone is telling you to get a half cut.

You don't seem to want to listen but yeah, I call bs that there isn't any way of getting a half cut to the U.S.

Edited by s2d4

You realize they only Skylines in the U.S. are just shipped in, right? There are not a lot as it is, and I doubt they are being cut/broke for parts already. The reason for asking what else I need is that I can get the parts I actually need individually.

I don't need the fenders. I'm doing something else with my fenders, so I don't need GTR ones. I don't see how that has anything to do with the engine being swapped, but maybe I'm wrong. If there is a reason for GTR fenders, what is it?

Do I NEED the GTR subframe to mount the engine? Will the front diff really not fit? I thought everything gearbox to the wheels were pretty much the same, so I don't understand why I'd have problems with the diff.

I'm not trying to make the whole front end a GTR, I'm only asking about the engine and what is needed to fit that. Whether I get a front cut or not, I'll still need to know what I need to swap over anyways. This is why I asked what is needed, and the question still stands. Like I said, there aren't any useful posts online that I've found that specify what I need, as most are a bunch of idiots giving opinions about gearboxes, diffs and saying the RB25 NEO is a better swap. I don't care about that stuff. I care about the engine, and what is needed to mount it and get it running in a GTS-4.

This thread is a lost cause.

We here in Aussie land are well aware that you yanks only just recently have been given the privilege to legally import these cars.

You won't even have to wait that long, and they would have heaps of half cuts in Japan land ready to go.

But if you don't want to, then just get the 26 and drop it in. It's the same car she'll be right.

Or maybe look up um the maybe 1 other person that's done this conversion.

You realize they only Skylines in the U.S. are just shipped in, right? There are not a lot as it is, and I doubt they are being cut/broke for parts already. The reason for asking what else I need is that I can get the parts I actually need individually.

You do realise that the million and one halfcut Skylines in Australia were almost all shipped here in containers from Japanese wrecking yards? You are not special in the Yoo Ess Ay - you're just late to the party. We know exactly what we mean when we tell you to get a halfcut. We've been doing it for years.

You won't need the subframe because you've already got a 4WD subframe in your car. You don't need the panels. etc etc. But a halfcut gives you all the hoses and wiring that differ between your "nearly GTR" and a real GTR. All the stuff that woudl make your life a misery trying to find/make when doing the conversion. If you only have to walk over to the wreck and get the bit you need, it saves heaps of time, money and headf**ks.

And if you think that anyone here would have told you to put a Neo into your car instead of an RB26 then you haven't been reading. Nearly every such piece of advice given here in the past was for people wanting to put a 26 into their RWD car. For the extra pain involved in doing so, you would be better off sticking a RWD Neo in and getting 98% of the goodness with 2% of the hassles. In your case, your car is all set up to receive a GTR engine - no need to convert to RWD. So why would you not leap on board the 26 wagon? We wouldn't be in a hurry to stop you.

• Thanks 1

Maybe this thread is a lost cause because I'm only "maybe the [second] person to do this." f**ked if I know. However, I'm sure others would like to find a thread where people aren't just arguing over shit that doesn't matter. That's where I am right now. I want to find out for myself, but also for others so they don't have to bother with those other moronic threads. No, they aren't necessarily on this site, but they are out there.

I understand buying a GTR would probably be easier. However, I have already owned a GTS-4 for nearly four years. I'm not really wanting to sell mine, which I've slaved many hours into making it reliable, for a GTR I know nothing about. There are also people who just can't afford a GTR that might get a GTS-4 and do a swap for budgeting reasons. People in either situation would like input from others who have performed this. I didn't think it was much work, but all I wanted was verification of what I needed, which was clearly spelled out in the original post. The engine, ECU and harness. I thought the tacho's were different, but apparently not, so I've already learned a bit as it is, and I thank you guys for that!

GTSboy, I'm not sure why you had to specify that we aren't special here. I agree fully. We are no different than anyone else, and yes, we are late to the Skyline party. I don't understand why our government care about the piddly shit they care about, but they care. But thank you for deciphering necessity and not. Typically, the engines come with hoses from what I've seen, as well as harnesses and ECU's.

No, none of the threads I ever clicked on were about GTS-T conversions, only GTS-4. I made sure of that. The arguments were all the same. Again, they may not have been on this site, but other major Skyline/Nissan specific sites. There aren't a lot of GTS-4's, so maybe that's the problem here. I don't know. I've clearly done my research, and I'm not some ignorant peasant asking some bull shit like, "what oil do I use" or something. In fact, I've been a guinea pig for a lot of GTS-4 parts for a lot of the main companies in England (I lived there for four years, which is where I picked this car up). I'm not ignorant of the car in most aspects, but this specific scenario is lacking on most forums. I'm very mechanically inclined, so any fabrication needed, I can do. I'm an aircraft mechanic. I am clearly not some random scrub asking stupid questions.

Nah, it's been done dozens of times before. In fact the swap is so easy that it really doesn't need how to threads. It really is just a case of "grab bits from GTR wreck and stick them in GTS4". That's why you won't find people making too many threads on it. I think when Hadouken said "Or maybe look up um the maybe 1 other person that's done this conversion" he was at least a little sarcastic, because there would have had to have been at least one person who has written about it, because some people can't help themselves. But I wouldn't expect many to have written about it.

Anyway, the hoses and stuff you have to worry about are heater hoses and the like. Stuff you can't assume will be on the engine, but need to be different from the ones that go between an RB20 inlet manifold and the RB26 inlet manifold. Even the Neo transplant I did into R32 needed different heater hoses because the connection points on the Neo25 manifold are different to the ones on the 20. Same with wiring. It's not the wiring on the engine you have to worry about. It's some of the odd wiring like alternator connectors, different starter motor connectors etc etc that are possibly different and you don't know until you try to hook them up then have to start cutting and shutting to make it work.

No one is telling you to buy a GTR.

All I did was told you the quickest way to get it done with the least amount of headaches.

Since you are an air craft mechanic, I am sure you can work it out yourself.

Edited by s2d4

GTSboy and s2d4, Thank you. I've only wanted a bit more detail about how to make this swap more realistic. I appreciate your input on the matter! Trust me, I understand internet sarcasm better than most (I troll random forums f**king with people constantly). But when it comes to the Skyline, I try to get tangible information! I didn't think it was an extensive swap, but I just wanted to make sure I had everything before swapping to make sure. I also wanted to (hopefully) make a thread describing the work required to make this happen.

I can make wiring problems disappear (it's kinda my job in aircraft maintenance ;) ). I just wanted to get an idea of what needed to be done to make this whole transition happen smoothly. I have an advantage being in my situation to make fabrication and wiring problems go away fairly easy, but others don't. I just wanted to know the specifics before I dropped money and time into something, for not only myself, but for the others planning this work.

Again, thank you for the information. I greatly appreciate it.