SAU Community

R32 Gtr Renovation From The Uk.

Hi all, for those that haven't read my intro, my name is kev and I'm from the UK, the following posts are basically cut and pasted from an ongoing thread on a UK based forum, I'm going to make a few tweaks and update some of the text, as this has been running for a while, some of you may have seen this already, so I apologise for posting old news if you have.
It pretty much follows the disassembly (haven't got round to putting it back together yet) of my 1989 gun metal grey r32 gtr that I've had for a few years now, knowing it had been involved in an argument with a hedge by one of it's previous owners, I actually bought it unseen from a friend of mine to take to pieces and use the running gear for another project, Once I had the car I got it on the ramp and realised it was only cosmetic damage and in quite good condition for it's age, and I didn't have the heart to take it apart.
At this point I hadn't driven it yet, and once I did I fell in love with it and decided to run it for a bit, quite a bit, well five years or so, and to be honest apart from routine maintenance I haven't spent a penny on it. Then one day I noticed a slight tapping from the engine on over run, so removed the engine to investigate, and yes you guessed it, it had spun a bearing on number one, luckily no damage to the crank.
Now this is where any sane person would have put new shells in and put it back together, but I was toying with the idea of a few mods and needed time to think, so I came home, had a bottle of bud or two (to help clear the mind). and with the engine already being out and all, it just didn't seem right to miss this opportunity to clean a few bits, plus it would give me something to do while I was making my mind up.
I've already done quite a bit of work to the car, and some of the photos may be out of synch at first, but this is to try and fill you in on what's been happening.
It was never my intention to do a build thread , but my wife says I have issues, a lot of them, and talking to like minded people may help, because let's face it, when it comes to our GTR's we all have issues.
This was never going to be a big budget build, it's just me giving the car the TLC it deserves.This is probably going to be a slow process that will happen when time and money allows, but I hope some of you will find it worth a read.
I'm was also trying to get my garage finished at the same time as working on the car, so that has a knock on effect on what got done and when.
I'll try and keep up to date on that at the same time if anyone's interested, and believe me that's been a saga in it's own right. The things we put ourselves through to get a garage, but, if life was easy and all that!!!
A couple of pictures while it was still in one piece,
34434d1395511184t-grey-32-strip-clean-ki
It was in need of some attention, and that was before it spun a shell. I did use it as a bit of a work horse, and always when it snowed, it would go anywhere and never get stuck, it definitely owes me nothing.
34362d1395506582t-grey-32-strip-clean-ki
34370d1395506951t-grey-32-strip-clean-ki
This was taken just after it's untimely demise. So here it sat for quite a while, waiting to have it's heart removed and repaired, the only problem being, it's sat in the garage I've been building for the past three years to put it in, and as you can see it still needed some work before it was water tight.
34378d1395507962t-grey-32-strip-clean-ki
It would have been finished a couple of years back, had my neighbours not decided to be a set of bast**ds and fight me all the way through the planning process, but that's a whole other story.
Anyway, with all the relevant planning permits in place, I finished the block work and started fitting the roof.
Beams going on,

34442d1395511509-grey-32-strip-clean-kin

34450d1395511604-grey-32-strip-clean-kin

Then the sheeting, didn't get pictures of fitting the rafters,

34458d1395512570-grey-32-strip-clean-kin

And finally a clean dry place to work

34466d1395512796-grey-32-strip-clean-kin

Going to leave it there for my first post.

Regards Kev.

Thanks for the replies guys,

Could someone give me some advice on how to post images, the way I usually do it doesn't seem to work on here.

All my pictures are saved on Google photos, I usually open an image, right click, copy image address, click image icon in the "reply to this topic" window, then paste image address, job done, if that make sense. When I do that on here it says I can't use that image extension, whatever that means.

I know I may sound like an idiot, but I'm shit with computers, far more at home in my garage any day of the week.