SAU Community

Air Intake/pod Advice

Morning SAU'ers!

So I've done a good two hours of reading old forums and Google researching, gathering info on replacing my panel filter for a pod filter with heatshielding and just wanted a fresh opinion and some solid advice on a few things:

The kit I'm looking at: http://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/131506420269(from JustJap)

The heatshielding I'm looking at: http://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/201497303357

- Why mod? It's my first skyline (2000 GT-T), and basically first car I've started to tinker with and honestly, I really enjoy it. I'm 26 and never really been mechanically minded but ever since the purchase and some of the involvement/advice I get on here, it's now a dedicated hobbie. I've also read a bunch of panel v pod forums and I want to see if there's any difference in the two.

- Also, wanting to know how to go about installing a dedicated cold air intake that is directly exposed to the pod (someone mentioned piping from under the car to the pod)

- The legality of this as Vic law states one intake mod only but my turbo is factory so it doesn't/shouldn't count? I'm also fully licensed

2000 GT-T running stock boost, unmodified apart for the strut bars and the Splitfires I'm about to fit this weekend.

Any advice is welcomed! (:

post-108100-14539377425151_thumb.jpg

post-108100-14539377728858_thumb.jpg

post-108100-14539378044721_thumb.jpg

Cold air which I've done.

That pod kit is expensive and no doubt you'll want a hard intake pipe once you start adding power so it becomes redundant to buy it. Those 'heat shield' are useless. Make your own.

There's plenty of how to on this forum. Just type in things like cold air box SAU into google and check images etc

yeah only do pod if you want to change the induction sound and the look under the hood. cops love to see pods because it means mods to them which means defect potential..

No performance gain, just a personal styling thing. so your choice to do it or not, don't let anyone tell you one way or the other =)

K&N also do good pods.

Same with cold air intake piping, very little gain, and not usually noticeable,(maybe more at high power), so again only a personal choice.

I don't 'know' about vic law, but not likely to be an issue as its not really part of the intake system, only directs air to flow into the engine bay.

However, the above CAI requires you to use a FMIC which does not return through the stock holes, which frees up the space.

The heat shield is less a heat shield and more about looks again, and keeping things tidy. Also looks better for police, and helps keep the pod secure which is one of their problems with them.

Welcome to the world of import modding! You have many many many more hours/days/months of searching and reading to do, so learn to use the search functions and get comfy =)

yeah only do pod if you want to change the induction sound and the look under the hood. cops love to see pods because it means mods to them which means defect potential..

No performance gain, just a personal styling thing. so your choice to do it or not, don't let anyone tell you one way or the other =)

K&N also do good pods.

Same with cold air intake piping, very little gain, and not usually noticeable,(maybe more at high power), so again only a personal choice.

I don't 'know' about vic law, but not likely to be an issue as its not really part of the intake system, only directs air to flow into the engine bay.

However, the above CAI requires you to use a FMIC which does not return through the stock holes, which frees up the space.

The heat shield is less a heat shield and more about looks again, and keeping things tidy. Also looks better for police, and helps keep the pod secure which is one of their problems with them.

Welcome to the world of import modding! You have many many many more hours/days/months of searching and reading to do, so learn to use the search functions and get comfy =)

^ this

Thanks guys for the feedback. Sounding a bit more cosmetic/personal opinion the more I read into it. I'm just taking baby steps at the moment so I might give it a crack.

Wut. Shielding heat from intake is good.

I agree and plenty of graphs will back up that the stock airbox is fine. But! A few tuners have had gains with a pod in a proper box.

The only reason to use a pod is if you want more power and have to change to a hard intake pipe and you want to do it cheaply. And you can diy.