SAU Community

Researched And Now Turbo Choices And Questions

Hello

My rb25 turbo on my rb20det is about gone.

I am looking for a new turbo.

I learned abit more about turbos and things now.

Whatever turbo I buy will be transferrerd over to a rb25 engine if I decide to buy one later this year.

I am looking at a TD05 18g, Hi Flow rb25 turbo(Hyper Gear), a GTX2860R, GTX2863R, GTX2867R, or a GTX 3071R.

I want 400hp but I want to learn how to drive on a car with over 300 first since I have never drive on that goes over 300hp. Don't want any more used rb25 turbos.

My set up now is cool and I have learned how to drive on it, I pushed it to its limits and its old so now its making that death winding sound.

Set up now is the rb25 with a tune which is tuned for boost up, intake pod, and the bigger turbo, fuel, etc.. My boost is set at .9 bar. I have full exhaust from the turbo back with a sports cat. 3" to 5" full exhaust. I am running a gtr pump which is going too, showing signs of dying. Buying a tomei, or walbaro pump within the week. I am running stock injectors. Plan is to get 440cc or 550cc injectors, new turbo, new fuel pump and tune. Not looking for more than 350hp for now until I learn how to drive the car with that much horse power.

Want good response of course.

I have read thru many of the results posted by people with different turbos but there is not much on the ones I mentioned above except for the hi flow rb25 turbo. The results from that seems that the turbo does really get moving until after 3000 rpm almost 4000 on the rb20.

Which of those turbos listed above would be good to have and still a good one to put onto a rb25?

Are there any that I am missing that might be good/

Edited by yoshiii335

Nothing that will be good on an RB25 will feel good on a 20. Lag on the 20 where it will boost fine on the 25. Or, boost fine on the 20 and then choke the 25.

Be prepared to buy a different turbo for the 25. That simple.

Ok.

So which one of the turbos for the 20 is good?

might get away with the 3071, but need a smaller exhaust housing for the 20 and then upgrade with larger for the 25??

but tbh the hi flow is a good option, bit cheaper and when u go 25 u will be able to sell it and hi flow another one suited to a 25

sell rb20, buy rb25 slap a hypergear turbo on and win :)

but from your given choice.. best bet would be the hi flowed u21 from hypergear.. gives the best response and decent power on the 25, theoretticly would suit your 20 better? so that would be my pick plus you can sell it once your done with it since everyone is always after hi flows for the basic upgrade

sell rb20, buy rb25 slap a hypergear turbo on and win :)

but from your given choice.. best bet would be the hi flowed u21 from hypergear.. gives the best response and decent power on the 25, theoretticly would suit your 20 better? so that would be my pick plus you can sell it once your done with it since everyone is always after hi flows for the basic upgrade

The results I have seen of people using the high flow 25 on a 20 doesn't look so impressive, most of the power seems to come on in the later rpm range.

My turbo now is on its way out, used to make a whirling noise when winding up but now it makes a more low growling type sound and is super quiet compared to before. The turbo is old and it has been thru three cars so its probably time.

I caned the car this weekend, as I learned about this slang today. I am already having problems with my car's fuel pump and other things from the caning I did this weekend so things to change

Edited by yoshiii335

it performs mental on a SR20DET non-VCT

so I can assume a RB20 will perform a little worse but still ok..

Let's get real, you want less lag and decent power? then a RB20 is not the answer.... even a B18C Honda motor with a turbo strapped to it makes more torque, more power, and provides better low down than a RB20.

And let's also be honest. This line of questioning has gone on for many months now. Surely you have saved up enough money to just do the whole RB25 + gearbox + diff + suspension + brakes + intercooler + turbo + ECU + tune + rear-vision-mirror-air-freshener upgrades you've been talking about.

And let's also be honest. This line of questioning has gone on for many months now. Surely you have saved up enough money to just do the whole RB25 + gearbox + diff + suspension + brakes + intercooler + turbo + ECU + tune + rear-vision-mirror-air-freshener upgrades you've been talking about.

Not yet, done some not saved for all

Edited by yoshiii335

Not sure about the technical side but i reckon RB30 motor and RB25head would be cheaper than buying the whole RB25... it really is pretty simple to do then i agree with the sutututu guy above lol...