SAU Community

Aftermarket Steering Wheel

Aftermarket Steering Wheel

Hey guys,

I own a R34 Skyline. 

And i wanted one of those drifting steering wheel with coloured boss kits, However i wanted to confirm a few things.

Q1: Is it worth purchasing expensive JDM steering wheels from japan (going to japan soon for a holiday trip so why not)? or is ebay 50 dollar steering wheel replicas good enough? 

Q2: my car is built in 1998 and has srs airbags, does this mean by law i am not allowed to remove the stock wheel and replace it with a non airbag drift wheel? (ADR69 law) 

Q3: How much will the defect notice fine cost me? is it serious? will the cops catch me? 

Q4: Is there such thing as a ADR aproved "Steering Wheel" becides being under 300mm - 330mm in diameter?

*Note i am soon to be Ps and i dont want the cops running up my ass all the time.

thanks. 

-Ryan 

I wouldn't buy a cheapo steering wheel, you can bend them in your hands.

Beyond the legalities of removing your airbag, aftermarket steering wheels from reputable brands aren't that expensive. Unless you're looking at top-shelf jdm points from someone like Keys! racing or Vertex, have a look at local motorsport companies like Velo. They're only $250 http://www.velo.com.au/steering-wheels/