SAU Community

New to the #nissangang from Washington! Couple ?'s

Handi_Mike

New to the #nissangang from Washington! Couple ?'s

Hello all, the names Mike!

im taking the plunge and having a fresh, 46xxx mile '92 gts25 sedan brought over seas for me. 

Theres a few things id like to have clarified as I've done a fair bit of searching and either find vague answers, deleted posts, or opposing answers. 

First off, the rb25 and re5r that is coming in my car, same engine trans as the r33 or an earlier rendition of the two?

is it possible to do a simple r33 lsd swap into the 32 assuming the trans is the same?

I've also come across a couple threads of some seriously modified auto's to handle massive power. Will a stock trans with an upgraded converter hold on to 300 or so whp?

What does everyone do about tuning when having an auto? I assume in these the ecu/TCU are one unit? Guessing that kills the possibility of using a haltech or some standalone?

last Q!  Yes or no, the gtr front bumper fits right up? I've seen both yes and no answers. Some say you need the fenders others say it fits right on the gts. 

IMG_1845.JPG

Hey Welcome to SAU!

I have no idea about the answers to your auto questions, but with regards to the GTR bumper fitting on the GTS, it will fit, however where the bumper meets the guards/wings it will bulge out a little bit, this is due to the GTR guards/wings being wider than the GTS items.

You will also have to trim down the front reinforcing bar as the GTR bumper has a bigger mouth so to speak.

You can buy an aftermarket fibreglass copy that is the same width as a GTS item though, this is the route i have gone down until i can afford a genuine GTR bumper Guards and Reo Bar.

Looking forward to updates, and make sure you start a build thread!

1 hour ago, DaymoR32 said:

Hey Welcome to SAU!

I have no idea about the answers to your auto questions, but with regards to the GTR bumper fitting on the GTS, it will fit, however where the bumper meets the guards/wings it will bulge out a little bit, this is due to the GTR guards/wings being wider than the GTS items.

You will also have to trim down the front reinforcing bar as the GTR bumper has a bigger mouth so to speak.

You can buy an aftermarket fibreglass copy that is the same width as a GTS item though, this is the route i have gone down until i can afford a genuine GTR bumper Guards and Reo Bar.

Looking forward to updates, and make sure you start a build thread!

Absolutely will start a thread. She arrives in December sometime. 

For your rep version, how's the fitment/quality? Where'd ya get it?

do the wings or fenders swap right over or does it get funky where it meets the side skirt?

20 minutes ago, Handi_Mike said:

Absolutely will start a thread. She arrives in December sometime. 

For your rep version, how's the fitment/quality? Where'd ya get it?

do the wings or fenders swap right over or does it get funky where it meets the side skirt?

Just a waiting game now i suppose! 

I haven't actually put it on the car yet as i'm in the process of putting everything from my old 32 GTS-T into a newer GTS-T shell, however it will be going to the painter in a couple of weeks so you'll see the alignment before yours hits the docks.

I bought it from a company over here called KMAK aero, check out there facebook/instagram page. I'm sure there'll be some guys in America making some, as i reckon freight will be a killer!

Yep they are a straight swap, you'll also need the GTR corner indicators too, as they have slightly different mounting pins. 

Great info!! 

Cant wait to see what she looks like! 

Would it look extra weird with gtr front fenders but the stock quarters? Are the gtr fronts significantly wider or just enough to accommodate some bigger rubber?

i come from Audi, so wide bodied cars are much different than standard 

Yeah same! i haven't driven her in a while!

Nah it doesn't look too bad, especially if you get the fitment right on your wheels. I'm sure if you google image it, you'll see a few examples. i find its easier to google something and add "site:www.sau.com.au" to the end of the phrase rather than using the search button at the top of the forum.

I think the guards are about 25-30mm wider or an inch in your terms.

Yeah i wouldn't say its as different as a wide bodied Audi so to speak, as they have to fit in all their haldex systems etc, so there are drastic changes.

Obviously the R32 engine has small differences from the R33 - no VCT for a start.

Yes you can swap the diff centres - make sure you get a mechanical LSD .... the viscous ones are a waste of space. Look down in the transmission section for threads on this.

How to tune? Best option = manual conversion!

Next best is a Nistune chip for the stock ecu - research and you will find.

Otherwise you can piggyback virtually any ECU on to the stock set up.

17 hours ago, KiwiRS4T said:

Obviously the R32 engine has small differences from the R33 - no VCT for a start.

Yes you can swap the diff centres - make sure you get a mechanical LSD .... the viscous ones are a waste of space. Look down in the transmission section for threads on this.

How to tune? Best option = manual conversion!

Next best is a Nistune chip for the stock ecu - research and you will find.

Otherwise you can piggyback virtually any ECU on to the stock set up.

Unfortunately, a wheelchair is hindering me from a manual swap otherwise I'd have just bought a gtr! Haha. 

So the guys importing it and doing the work, they've worked on plenty with manuals just not as much modding of autos. 

They said while they have put a haltech on an auto, it doesn't allow the trans to work smoothly or do its shifting patterns normally. 

Solutions? Or is fully manualizing the trans with manual valve bodies, etc the only way to make a haltech style unit work?