SAU Community

Help; car wont start (and its not the starter)

ausdrift

Help; car wont start (and its not the starter)

So I went to drive the R33 work last week and when I cranked the ignition the engine began to start as normal but then cut out. Further attempts so start only had the starter appearing to work but would not start the engine. I assumed that the starter was somehow spinning but not engaging and therefore was at fault (its 19 years old) so I bought a new one and painfully installed it. I went to start the car; no change. I still hear spinning of a starter but the engine doesn't even try to fire up.

The car is modified and on the ignition side the fuel pump is about 2 years old, and the plugs 1, battery is fairly new and alternator also is about a year old. Generally the whole car is well looked after.

So why wont my car start? Ideas? What died?

Big thanks...

check your engine fuse/relay. both in cabin and in engine bay

If you haven't already

Lastly - is the battery good or low in charge? Borrow some ones or throw jumper leads  on it from a vehicle that is running

Edited by Anonymouse
spelling mistake

54 minutes ago, ausdrift said:

coilpacks were replaced with new splitfires 2 months ago so it shouldnt be that, should it. And it would run rough with a dodgy coil, rather than have no ignition at all right?

The basic things to check are spark and fuel.

It's up to you if you want to check it, considering it is very easy I can't see why you wouldn't.

I'm a bit limited in what I can do right at the moment, but I have gone out and checked all relevant fuses (should have been my first step, I know) and there are none blown.

Battery has over 12V and that's after me cranking is a bunch during testing/diagnosis (but this im 100% isn't related to the problem).

The diagnosis plan from BenC34 (thanks!) is something I will have to attempt over the weekend as I don't have time until then.

To otherwise check that the fuel pump is working, I think it primes and makes a noise when you turn the key to ACC, right?

Also I have a PowerFC; is there a way to check for any error codes or diagnosis on that?

And any other magic bullet items that may have failed for it to die like it has?

thanks all

Disconnect fuel filter at bottom end so it's just a hose from the back of the car (note - you'll get fuel over the place so be prepared) - have someone keep an eye on the hose when you crank it. If nothing, fuel pump (or relay/fuse) is gone.

I had the same thing, did that, no fuel movement when cranking. New fuel pump with relay mod, bam back in business.

If fuel comes out, then spark is bad - either coilpacks (or igniter if s1 but I think you're saying it's an s2), or plugs themselves.

Last ditch effort, get a stock ecu just to test. Plug in, crank, if it works, then there's your problem.

ok bit of an update. Rather embarrassingly, it appears the cause is a flat battery. Rather than eliminate the basics I panicked and jumped to higher conclusions. I actually had a year old battery fail 5 months ago and got it replaced for a new one. For this reason and because it failed differently (voltage didn't drop as low, so it still chugged but didn't start, as opposed to the engine not even attempting ignition this time) I discounted the battery as being the culprit, but some internet research later and a few things added up. Checked the voltage, charged it overnight and its not looking good, so I think I'm off the shop I bought it from to again get it tested/changed. I guess this is the best outcome, although I really wish my battery's would be a bit more set and forget.