SAU Community

URGENT! Need INSURANCE Help!!

Ok I realise there are heaps of threads on insurance but I couldn't find the answers I'm looking for and as time runs out I'm getting more and more desperate.

I've found the (affordable) car of my dreams. R33 GTR V-Spec. Stock standard. The usual problem is insurance. I've tried everyone from famous to just cars to shannons to metway to etc etc etc. The quotes are all around near the 4k mark and simply out of my budget.

So I've decided to try the old trick of insuring the car in my dad's name and being listed as a nominated driver. All the insurers I've talked to are willing to do that, however they still base the quote on the youngest driver a.k.a. me.

I'm 22, 5 years driving experience with no accidents and the usual few 10km/h over the limit speeding fines. The problem is for the 5 years I've been driving I'm been a listed driver on my parent's policy so I don't even think I have any NCB to speak of. Hence the pain of insuring the GTR in my name.

The question is - is there any insurer out there at all that will insure it in my dads name and for a small (emphasis on the word small) fee will include me as a listed driver on the policy.

Somebody please help and asap! .. cause there's been alot of interest in the car I'm after.. and it will probably get sold soon.. and I can't purchase it without insurance.

Thanks heaps all you skyline freaks!

If you've been named as a listed driver on your dad's policy insurers should recognise you as having built up some no claim bonus. Talk to the insurer the policy was with, get them to issue you a certificate saying you have been listed on their books for XX years and your NCB is whatever.

All insurers that I'm aware of will base the premium on the worst risk ie you because of your age. Go see Just Cars or Famous.

i got ours thru HBF, under dads name and said i drive it about 2-3 times day a week he had a 60%NCB and it ended up under $1k for the year which is for a R33 GTS-T

guys

thanks to everyone who has replied and is trying to help me..

BUT

I need someone to tell me where i can insure it in my dad's name and be listed.. if such a place exists..

even though just cars and famous are the best out there.. 3.5k is still looking too scary =(

well ive saved up for it. i just cant afford 3.5k a year insurance.. im working full time but doing my masters part time.. higher education isnt cheap.. plus i'm in the process of buying a house.. that isnt cheap either =( i'm assuming fuel and servicing the old godzilla isnt gonna be easy on the wallet either.. BUT you only live once.. so you gotta live hard..

heeeellllppppppppp

If you've been named as a listed driver on your dad's policy insurers should recognise you as having built up some no claim bonus. Talk to the insurer the policy was with, get them to issue you a certificate saying you have been listed on their books for XX years and your NCB is whatever.

All insurers that I'm aware of will base the premium on the worst risk ie you because of your age. Go see Just Cars or Famous.

wrong. I told this to famous and they rejected that and said that you need to have a policy in your name (not the go with dad and be nominated trick). I was pissed off with them but they were still cheaper than all the others. But next year I'll probably be going 3rd party only.

reignman82 - if you can't afford it then look at something else.

try a company called young and cool, i was like you i didnt have a rating only a secondary rating 3 ( which means you where on someone elses policy as a secondary driver) this was last year and now this year i have a full rating to and now im off to just cars cause they are $200 cheaper then young and cool

Cerealkiller - I'm not actually with Famous. That is however, how I approached getting insurance for my car. The insurer I went with did not have any problems as I was a listed driver on the previous policy (hence the premium being paid reflected my risk profile).

OK ... here is how i get my Rating 2.

I have NO INSURANCE before until my R33 GTR not even my R34.

So here is the trick

I bought a sh?T car only cost me 1K( use it for work and Uni) and i get a full complehensive insurance by RACV, because of my driving history they gave me rating 2.

Then got my GTR, call up just car. "Yes i have insurance with RAVC and i was Rating 2 with them". Bingo here is my rating 2 for my R. cost me $2300

well ive saved up for it. i just cant afford 3.5k a year insurance.. im working full time but doing my masters part time.. higher education isnt cheap.. plus i'm in the process of buying a house.. that isnt cheap either =( i'm assuming fuel and servicing the old godzilla isnt gonna be easy on the wallet either.. BUT you only live once.. so you gotta live hard..

heeeellllppppppppp

Mate it shouldn't be 3.5k next year as your rating will drop if you don't make a claim. As they are not taking your previous driving history into account I'm assuming that quote is based on rating 6 so next year with rating 5 you will receive 20% off - $2,800. After this first reduction each rating reduces your premium by 10%. You may have saved some bucks by insuring under your fathers name in the past but as you are finding out you have to build a rating at some stage. Probably would have been easier and cheaper on your previous car but no-one thinks that at the time. If you want the car you will have to bite the bullet but listen to 666dan's advice. Enjoy the R and good luck.

Dude.. Did you ask Just Cars which rating they base your premium on? I have to say if you cannot afford the insurance in the proper way.. mayb its an indication that you should look at another car at a shorter term?

When I was trying to insure a 34 GTT famous quoted a pretty expensive full comp. for me, but Just Car's premium was reasonable. I am 24 with no traffic history at all, so I guess your quoted premium is reasonable considering the performance car you are trying to insure.