SAU Community

Robs Sil80-more skyline than S chassis

Hello SAU, after a bit of a hiatus I am back.

Lots has been happening in the few months. I took the 180sx down to Brisbane early August and did a 3 day tuning course which was information overload but learnt heaps. Retuned the 180sx and made 220kw @16psi and was so much nicer to drive. Went to QLD Time Attack Round 4 and had some fun at QR. Car went well except for losing the dump pipe bolts at one point :7_sweat_smile: 3 new bolts and went back out. 59.19 was quickest lap on clubman layout.
Also went out to a practice morning at Moragn Park, that track is so good to drive. Only issue from both days was the diff breather having oil spit out. easy fix was a piece of put on tucked up high. 
Came back to Townsville and hired a dyno to turn the boost up. First run was 188kw as base run and ended up with 230kw (I don't car about the actual figures just that theres an increase). Entered the local sprint day at Reid Park and its heaps quicker. The wife & I both drove and i ended up 2nd in class and 4th outright with a 55.13.

Have done new knuckles & front wheel bearings as I going to have a go at some drifting next Brisbane trip. Going to try a 4.3 ratio diff and see if there is any difference, will take the 4.11 just in case I feel the need to swap back. Adding a digital dash to as well from Powertune Digital

Started tuning a few cars too. The most interesting was the swift from Targa. Now supercharged & on E85.

Off to Brisbane for last round of time attack series in a few weeks. Hopefully can improve times and maybe get a track day at Lakeside.

Reid park rnd 4 1.jpg

180sx @ QR rnd 4 1.jpg

IMG_20190912_100508[1].jpg

IMG_20191014_150053[1].jpg

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 6:25 AM, ActionDan said:

Awesaome update, dash looks great, Mini looks cool, congrats on results. 

Thanks mate. 

Fitted up the dash, pissed off the horrid white interior pieces, painted the gauge panel, fitted white LEDs and cleaned inside for the first time. Replaced one of the headlight motors so got lights to do night sprints ?

IMG_20191021_153500.jpg

IMG_20191021_153520.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Brisbane and did the last round of time attack. Had issue with diff oil blowing out of the breather, turned out I over filled the diff ?‍♂️
Had rubbing issues with left front on turns 1 & 2 so had to raise the car 10mm to try and fix it. Only ended up doing 10 laps as the whole back of the car was covered in oil & took a while to do all the fixes. Didn't do anything else as I sold my car trailer as  I got a great offer on it but it was also way too much effort to take car apart, use extra ramps to load & was just too long and heavy. As soon as it was gone ordered a full deck tandem axle Tilta Trailer just waiting for it to be built.

Work has started on the Sil80 to get it moving again. Got a diff & shafts, rebuilt steering rack and put CAS & coils back in today. Just waiting on tie rod ends to arrive then can move it out of the shed. Got a heap of gktech arms & a few bushes waiting to go in.

• Like 1

Spent some time on the sil80 with new tie rod ends, castor arms & 17psi gate springs now installed. Moved it for the first time since I pulled out all the good suspension. Fuel is stale & hose at the fuel tank is leaking.
Did some more setup on the ecu with correct injector data and ethrottle tuning too. Idle is a lot better.
IMG_20191113_134806.thumb.jpg.66570e3d1a6323dbf2c81619ee8dd517.jpg

BUT the main reason its moved is to start work on this old thing
IMG_20191113_130407.thumb.jpg.96bfa03da8ef7183cf0c63116f4dda2d.jpg

Been promising the wife for a while that I would get it running properly and sort out a lot of small issues. She also wants to do some drag racing so plan is to pull motor & box, fix leaks, rewire the front end as its a mess and butchered, install electric windows, fix heater/blower fan. Finally install all this........
IMG_20191113_135033.thumb.jpg.255fba0c9e45f75363fdf60111ae5e06.jpg

Never been in a nitrous car its mainly for the shits and giggles but still cheaper than a LS conversion. Just going to run a 75-100hp shot and hopefully not lift the heads. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Good wife, mine just wants a SQ5 after we drove one around in Adelaide for a week. I had to explain we can't afford a SQ5 lol.

You could probably afford to buy it but will struggle with the cost of replacing dodgey cdi injectors, back of engine timing chains, blocked dpfs and the rest. You should buy 1.

5 minutes ago, admS15 said:

You could probably afford to buy it but will struggle with the cost of replacing dodgey cdi injectors, back of engine timing chains, blocked dpfs and the rest. You should buy 1.

2018 is V6T Petrol with ZF box.. instant boners also it's RWD bias :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, admS15 said:

This also puts me off new cars. Hear of so many issues as soon as out warranty.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

2018 is V6T Petrol with ZF box.. instant boners also it's RWD bias :D 

Yeah ok, still cones with pot luck Audi reliability and warranty that takes the cheapest fix way instead of the proper way.

35 minutes ago, robbo_rb180 said:

This also puts me off new cars. Hear of so many issues as soon as out warranty.

Audi/VW engineer it that way it seems but randomly a good one slips through and does a heap of untroubled km. RARE.

I have an older Q7 and it's been good (knocks on wood) but it scares me how much it would cost to fix if things went pear shaped. Luckily it's worth bugger all and i could just part it out and scrap it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Turbo diesels issues is why I bought a V6 Prado, I'd rather 1-2L more per hundred but less over hassle, cost, worry, noise, etc. 

I think Fats has a high K's q7 also and it seems to have been a reliable bus. 

Dose can afford a SQ5, he just "can't" afford it in the same way I can't afford lots of things, that is because we have other priorities and hopefully make smarter choices than chasing the latest nice car. 

Please keep dropping M4 prices... thanks. 

Cheapest on Carsales is mid 50s, i just looked.... #guilty

But like I said, other shit to do. new shed, hoist, horse shelter, wood shed, roofing two sections of the deck, driveway grading, bathroom, kitchen, laundry, ensuite, powder room all still to renovate.... 

Hell I'm still evicting the microbats from one section of room (which will mean new insulation). 

f**k houses. 

Haha you're living the dream where as I'm crammed up in a shoe box 32km away from Sydney CBD and it costs nearly as much as your bush hideout.

Anyhow, come thread thrash my thread, poor @robbo_rb180 has had a thread derail thanks to us again lololol.

Keep up the good work, those SR20s love E85 as they're prone to knocking midrange due to the violent torque and their stroke. GTX2867R on a SR20 is good, GTX3071R w/twin scroll, and a 0.83 rear housing is just amazeballs.

27 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Haha you're living the dream where as I'm crammed up in a shoe box 32km away from Sydney CBD and it costs nearly as much as your bush hideout.

Anyhow, come thread thrash my thread, poor @robbo_rb180 has had a thread derail thanks to us again lololol.

Keep up the good work, those SR20s love E85 as they're prone to knocking midrange due to the violent torque and their stroke. GTX2867R on a SR20 is good, GTX3071R w/twin scroll, and a 0.83 rear housing is just amazeballs.

21 minutes ago, ActionDan said:

Sorry Rob... 

All good boys, I like a bit of discussion. Once Direct Injection pumps and spares become a cheaper I think the 2nd hand euro stuff will be the way go the same as the Japanese stuff did 10 years ago.
I'll rename the thread to Dose & Dan's Banter Featuring robs cars :P