SAU Community

Autoglym wheel protector review

PranK

I've used the Autoglym Wheel Protector a few times over the past 6 months or so and I'm a little on the fence with it.

https://www.autoglym.com/wheel-protector

wheel_protector_website_canvas_150dpi.pn

My results are positive, really positive and you'll see this below. But its expensive and I think I'm using a 3rd to a half of the can with each application.

I applied the protector to my passenger side only about 3 weeks ago.

The first pics are after a week and ~240k's of dry driving. BMW's are notorious for brake dust so its a good car to show a comparison on.

20180825_125847.jpg

20180825_125905.jpg

20180825_125911.jpg

20180825_125923.jpg

How does it clean up, as in, just a hose gets most of it off, or, you still need a gernie and cloth to get in all the nicks and crannies? 

My pads make dust like it's going out of fashion, if it saves time cleaning and lasts for a while it may be useful.

Is it like a wax or something?

3 hours ago, mlr said:

How does it clean up, as in, just a hose gets most of it off, or, you still need a gernie and cloth to get in all the nicks and crannies? 

My pads make dust like it's going out of fashion, if it saves time cleaning and lasts for a while it may be useful.

Is it like a wax or something?

Its just a spray on sealer. Kind of like wax but synthetic. It comes off on its own after a few washes, hence my issue with the amount needed for application and the price. If you wash your car more than once a month you might not need to use it and can save the $30 - $40 per can.

I just bought some new DBA rotors and Bendix Ultimate pads, fingers crossed they're a little less messy. :)

My little car gets a bath weekly, it does sound a bit expensive.

I just use Meguiar's Ultimate Wash n Wax on my wheels, seems good at keeping the dust from sticking to bad and the finish is good.

Sadly the kids are to old now for me to con them into cleaning the wheels.

Small child labor hands are good for cleaning rims. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mlr said:

My little car gets a bath weekly, it does sound a bit expensive.

I just use Meguiar's Ultimate Wash n Wax on my wheels, seems good at keeping the dust from sticking to bad and the finish is good.

Sadly the kids are to old now for me to con them into cleaning the wheels.

Small child labor hands are good for cleaning rims. 

I hear ya. Mine are terrible at washing the car itself, so I started washing it without telling them. They're probs too old now anyway.

I think this product is good although I have not used it before but have heard only good things.

However, I suppose there is no real 'magic product' to keep our cars clean except to clean it often. I try to make an effort to clean my car once every month.

Appreciate the write-up though very useful. 

Cheers,

Alex

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, R.3.2.G.T.R said:

good reivew, i have white wheels so could definately be handy

how often does it need to be re-applied?

It really depends on the wash you use and the environment. Every few months I'd say for most people. With it on, you can just wipe the wheel off without needing to apply a wash to it.