SAU Community

Nissan Crossover T-Boned and written off !

Thought I would share details as well as insurance  (NRMA)

My wifes 2010 premium crossover got a somewhat minor hit in the drivers side. Minor because no side airbags were deployed. She and daughter had some whiplash though.

See pic for damage on both side doors. However if you look inside doors some dents were made in the sills - and this triggered the write off. Sills are structural and need to be ordered new. Nissan OZ can get lots of non structural components like doors and windows etc but not the sills. 

Ok so we switched to 3rd part suppliers like partsour and nengen

https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genuine/filter?c=Nissan&ssd=%24WFQ5BQ%24&model=Japan&f_model=SKYLINE+CROSSOVER&f_frame=&f_year=2010&f_door=&f_transmission=&f_bed=&f_chassis=&f_cabin=&f_engine=&f_power=&f_roof=&f_wheel-base=&f_grade=&f_wheel-drive=&f_area=&f_load=&f_battery=&f_seat-type=&f_suspension=&f_bed-size=&f_body=

If they did have parts, the cost of shipping large items + Import + GST was expensive. Also the delays quoted were 4 months. NRMA need to factor this in along with the hire car we got (accident not our fault)

So why the issue with structural spares? Nissan discontinued this car in japan in 2016. Seem structural spare parts are becoming pretty rare already (if they ever did make many structural spare parts). Of interest is the bigger brother FX/QX70 was also discontinued, so even though its sold locally, good luck getting structural spares for it also. Sedans/Coupes sold in greater volumes so structural spares may be easier? (hope, i have one of those also)

So what to buy next ?

I have looked at some electric SUVs coming in 2019 - Hyuandu Kona, KIa e-Niro but they are smaller (and not here yet!). I looked at QX70 locally but its too dear. Nissan Xtrail is cheap but read lots of bad things about the CVT going early and costing a fortune to fix. In the end, Im still coming back to importing another crossover - abet with sunroof :) Speak up if you can suggest alternatives (she wants luxury/leather/sunroof however). The infiniti convertible is nice - but local 2015 stock on car sales want 50K - ouch

Resized_20180819_133919.jpeg

Edited by mybrains
spelling

Probably because structural damage almost always triggers a write off by insurance companies, often because the car can't be repaired to a safe standard, but otherwise, because such repairs are not economically viable for the insurer, so they write off.

Therefore there would be very little demand for major structural components.

Theres a lot of liability on insurers to ensure they can fix to a standard. If you crashed or somebody was killed due to a poorly executed repair then they are in a lot of trouble. 

Interesting conundrum though. If you can get them to make it a repairable write off, you could buy it back to repair. Not sure its worth it though, can you import another one? 

Petrol engine bans in EU are a loooooong way from being relevant to Oz.  EVs will become more prevalent here, but you should only consider one if it will suit your driving requirements.  As soon as you live and drive any distance outside the metro area EVs start to become a sketchy proposition.

The new 2019 model SUVs (Kona) are offering 500kms range - so 1/2 way to QLD with a 40 min stop in between for lunch / fast charge. pretty much matches petrol give or take.

Note there are fast chargers all the way up the coast as well (in hunter, newcastle etc) About every 2 hrs whereas these new cars have a 5 hour range (at 100km/hr).  When I looked into it (abet for the first time last week!) its much better than people expect so don't let range anxiety get hold of you :)  check https://myelectriccar.com.au/charge-stations-in-australia/

I don't drive more than 2hrs at a time without a break these days. Maybe its old age - hehehe

That's fine.  Just don't try to go to Dubbo.  It's not just about straight line trips either.  If you are on holiday and touring around a national park or similar, you're not actually getting anywhere and there may not be a charge station within cooee.  As I said, depends on your usage model.  It (EV) would work for me, as I only ever drive my car close to the metro area.  But then I'd want to cut my wrists from the boredom associated with choosing an SUV, or anything other than a boosted turbo car.

it is probably not too bad for now, but if popularity of EVs grows, they will need to quickly ramp up the number of charge stations.  last thing you need when stopping for lunch is a 3 car queue to get to the chargers, and each car needs 30mins or so on the charger.