SAU Community

Weird boost sound (audio file included)

Hi all,

recently bought a Nissan Skyline R34 GTT with the RB25DET. So far everything runs great, however I noticed that the sound of acceleration is a bit weird.
I'm not sure what it could be. Turbo leak maybe? I included a sound file in this post. Is the noise normal?

Also, during the winter I might want to do some checkups. Would you recommend to do a compression test, even if I don't notice any lack of power or blue/white smoke? 

Thank you!

IMG_5469.mp3

4 hours ago, Robocop2310 said:

Hi mate,

A few things to check...turbo manifold, casket and piping to blow off valve. Turbo itself may be on the way out. 

Cheers 

Thank you! I‘m going to check it. Would be surprised if the turbo is blown as I‘m driving on standard boost. On the other hand it‘s already at 160.000km. 

5 minutes ago, tridentt150v said:

What type of BOV is it?

It‘s the stock one. Could it also cause the problem?

2 hours ago, tridentt150v said:

Sounds like it could be blocked off, but its hard to tell from that clip.  If it was aftermarket it would more easily explain the sound, they are always louder for the rice racers.

No aftermarket, but I will check it. I just hope it‘s not a turbo damage.

Just found this video and while driving it sounds pretty much the same:

I'm better on blown ceramic blades on the turbo itself or something to do with the BOV. 

Check all hoses and also ensure clamp connecting the BOV is fastened tight as they are known to come loose sometimes.