SAU Community

Dan's R33 Build

Hey Guys, 

What is going on?

Newbie here, check out my post on the Newbie Introductions page. 

So guys I am building this r33 I bought site unseen off the interwebs. The guy told me it has an issue starting amongst other issues.

I will be posting regular updates on here and also posting videos on YouTube of my build progress. 

The first issue I will be tackling is the starting issue, I think it may be electrical or fuel related. 

what do you think the issue could be. Post your comments below. 

Talk soon all

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Guys, 

Update battery is all charged but having an issue turning it over. It cranks but wont turn over. Got it to turn over Twice but any acceleration and it will die.

I suspect dud battery or alternator.  

Uploaded a video for you guys!

Thoughts?

Videos not working for me.

Your terminology is confusing.typically cranking and turning over mean the same thing. 

You mean it's not starting?but the engine turns over when cranking?or is the engine locked up.? It won't be the alternator, thy does nothing except for charge the batery

Hey, not sure why the videos aren't working. I'll post on YouTube too. Yeah not starting just keeps cranking but wont start. engine is not locked up. thought it may be battery so installed a new one. would start but very lumpy then cut out.

Tried again, started lumpy revved to 4000rpm saw oil pressure gauge on dash rise and battery light on dash turn off. Stalled at 1000rpm

Battery light is lit on dashboard, pointing me to alternator. 

Will try and put a multimeter on the alternator and battery and check. Hopefully it will stay alive long enough. 

Any help would be great. 

Update. Spoke with the guys at Sabbadin, from the symptoms he said it doesn't sounds like bad alternator but possibly a starving issue maybe bad fuel or something. Anyone thinking of anything else? 

Update. Forgot to mention, A couple of weeks ago when the car was sitting I started it and found that the car when idling was fluctuating in revs between 650 to 1000rpm. If anyone can piece together all this information for a diagnosis that would be handy. 

Thanks!!

Hey Ben, 

Yeah, running a Wolf EMS 3D V4, no airflow meter. Strange car was running fine, then had this idle problem, one week later won't start. annoying. 

Changed the battery, cause battery light was lit and other one was old, running a bit low. 

I notice that the oil pressure light is also lit on the dash, got it started once over the last two weeks, ran like a lawnmower, coughing and spluttering. Gave it a bit of rev to 4000rpm battery light and oil pressure light went off but as rev's decreased car stalled. 

Thanks

D

Edited by blitzer31
added more info

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All, 

Thought I would post an update. Car has been moved to my apartment where I have been doing some more work in it. 

Completed the following. 

• Replaced bonnet
  • Replaced drivers side door lock actuator
  • Installed boot carpet and trim
  • Replaced a few bits of interior trim
  • Wired in front bumper indicators
  • Started sanding side skirts, boot, bonnet in prep for paint

To be completed

• Tune - will be done at Sabbadin
  • Run new vacuum lines
  • Paint intercooler piping satin black
  • Install alarm system