SAU Community

Hello from the United States

TekuXVIII

How's it going everyone? Finally decided to join as I have officially acquired my 1992 r32 GTS-T. I have browsed many a thread on here gathering as much information as I can stuff into my fragile little mind. Car came with an HKS mushroom filter, and a catback that i'm not sure of the name, can't find a brand on it. For now I'm going to enjoy the car while I rebuild my savings account lol. 

55894.jpeg

• Like 3

Nice pick up. Throw the mushroom rubbish in the bin and look for either a nice paper filter (e.g. Apexi, et al.) or standard air box.

I still miss my old R32 GTS-t. Such a fun car to drive, good on petrol, excellent chassis in standard form that you can enjoy at low speeds.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/06/2019 at 8:48 PM, niZmO_Man said:

Nice pick up. Throw the mushroom rubbish in the bin and look for either a nice paper filter (e.g. Apexi, et al.) or standard air box.

I still miss my old R32 GTS-t. Such a fun car to drive, good on petrol, excellent chassis in standard form that you can enjoy at low speeds.

Is there an intake you can recommend aside from the stock air box? I bought the car with the mushroom filter on it already and don't have the OEM bits.

19 minutes ago, TekuXVIII said:

Is there an intake you can recommend aside from the stock air box? I bought the car with the mushroom filter on it already and don't have the OEM bits.

Its been a while since I've done anything like this, but pod filters on their own, while sounding great, suffer badly from heat soak and ultimately will decrease your performance noticably. 

If you can't get a stock airbox, search on these forums for making your own CAI (Cold Air Intake) with an insulated foam box and pipe. Then you can just put a well functioning pod on (K&N). Theres lots of options here with some folks raving about pod filters under the headlights (in the vent) but they get wet easily. Its up to you how far to go.

• Like 1

Get some 22 gauge aluminium.

Get some cardboard, a beer carton works best, so buy beer.

Make a template out of cardboard.

Make another better one.

Leave it a week and make a better one, you will definitely need more cardboard from beer cartons, so buy more beer.

Do some googling on folding sheet steel, nutserts are boss for sheet steel, self tapping screws work, pop rivets are easy but painfull to remove.

Make the body and lid off your version ?? template.

Paint in black VHT wrinkle plus.

Use some edge push on "stuff".

You can insulate the insides of the box if you want, I never have, the important bit is to try and fit it as tight as possible to stop the majority of engine bay heat getting to the air filter.

Profit

Stolen picks of cover and "edge stuff" from the googles

Finally, you would have used all the cardboard for templates, so you will need to buy another carton of beer, for the cardboard of course.

Winner winner chicken dinner

913118096_tp.jpg

images (3).jpeg

• Like 2