SAU Community

R33 diff advise

84 capri eh....I think you might not be from round here....you should see what we called a capri in '86...I''m reasonably confident you are not putting an  r200 in that...

RE the stub axles, I've only done it once years ago but pretty sure they just popped with a pair of pry bars, so must just be a circlip inside holding them in. You'll need to remove from both diffs to check they are interchangeable unless someone here already knows as number of splines, number (and spacing) of bolt holes and internal length can be different....

I'm in Perth, originally NZ ?

Yeh it's the old school German assembled Capri original a cast iron v6 not that POS convertible Ford stupildy gave the same name lol. I'll try pop those axles out.

What's the best aftermarket LSD for these diffs? It's just a street car, Na V8 if I can make 500hp and 500 ftlb I'll be going well 

Edited by Jackdr

Well, it's off this topic, but maybe consider starting a build thread here. I've never seen a mark3 or later capri in Oz so interesting find.

Any r200 diff centre should be OK for 500hp street use unless you mean street burnout comps. The bigger issue for street use is the tighter ones are really nasty skipping in tight turns which makes them a PITA for street use. 

To answer the question about swapping stubs. No. BK's info above is that the ALSD has equal length splines. The VLSDs have odd lengths (left to right). No go.

The best mech diff centre to buy would be the Nismo Pro. You could probably make a decent job of it by buying to suit a Skyline (5 bolt) and putting it all into the S15 housing. The Nismos come with new stub axles.

Your problem with driveshaft lengths may or may not become a real problem. They are splined into thehub end, so you can get away with quite a lot of "wrong length". Just so long as you have enough engagement (not too short) and they don't bump up hard against the shoulder (not too long).

Ok gotcha, the s15 diff is 10mm shorter on each side so hopefully the spline will take that up if I go nismo r33 LSD in the s15 housing or I have to find the r33 axles. Having said that I could cut the flange off the alsd diff if it's worth nothing and use them as spacers.

I'll probably go 1way on the diff, it might do the odd burn out but it really is a street car with the odd drag day.

I have a fairly nasty Evo for race duty. 

On that note those r33 axles are massive! 30mm 29spline vs the Evo 23mm 25spline. 

I would be interested to see if anyone has retro fitted one of these diffs into an Evo, cheap upgrade aside from the fabrication head ache

I will do a build thread and post a link here . . . Has a lot of Nissan donor parts

Edited by Jackdr

I think you would struggle to get an R200 into an Evo. The Evos are only R180 equivalent or something similar, and they have weird-arse moustache bars for front mounts and so on. They're different enough that it would be challenging.

Having said that.....I do know of some Evos having had other bigger diffs grafted in. Just not the details.

I tend to think that there would probably be better diffs available from much later Skylines and other Nissans and Toyotas, than the old jiggers in R chassis cars.

The R200 diff has been put in an Evo successfully. I believe Dion from Fabtech has 1 in his car. Somebody is making kits for them soon/now. 

(Can't remember who atm) ?

I believe guys have also been using the GTO/3000GT diffs are also being used 

i believe the GTO diff is quote a common swap but those diffs are pricey and getting hard to find and there is still a bit of engineering to make it fit, plus the people i know that have done it need to use drive shaft shop axles and hubs which are expensive as well.

i think the skyline diff would require more engineering to fit but the parts would be a lot cheaper and the skyline axles are way gruntier.

I expect you would need to use the skyline hubs as well so there would be a bit of mucking around trying to make one subframe out of two. Mine is an RS so hopefully the diff lasts long enough for me to finish the Capri first, 58PSI, NOS and slicks might have other ideas though.

build thread link to the Capri below :)

https://www.classic-ford.org/cfp/tm.aspx?m=89030#89333