SAU Community

Information regarding all RB turbos

I just want to clear the air and make sure all the info I got on RB turbos are correct.

RB20DET is t28 turbo with ceramic compressor wheel

rb25det is t25 turbo. Series one is ceramic compressor wheel but series 2 is nylon compressor wheel. Besides that it’s the same turbine housing and compressor housing

rb25det neo is op6 turbo. Has nylon compressor wheel and bigger turbine housing than the t25.

180sx’s and Silvia’s/200sx’s all uses t28 turbos.

Rb25det + neo both have the same sized compressor housing but rb20det uses smaller compressor housing

All the turbos mentioned above are t3 class turbos (including op6) and use t3 flange and all have ceramic turbine wheels. I’m not 100% sure on this, can anyone confirm this?

thanks

Edited by IM-32-FK

Nope. Mostly wrong.

All RB20,25 turbos and all VG single turbos are Hitachi made, with a T3 flange. So they are not T25 or T28. Nor are they really T3. They have a T3 flange and are in the ballpark of T28 size, or thereabouts.

But they are not Garrett and therefore they are not T anything.

The OP6 housing is larger than the U21 housing. Yes.

CA & SR turbos are neither T25 nor T28. They have a T28 flange on them, yes, but again, they are not Garrett, therefore they are not T anything.

They are all ceramic.......except the CA/SR turbos, which are not.

1 hour ago, GTSBoy said:

Nope. Mostly wrong.

All RB20,25 turbos and all VG single turbos are Hitachi made, with a T3 flange. So they are not T25 or T28. Nor are they really T3. They have a T3 flange and are in the ballpark of T28 size, or thereabouts.

CA & SR turbos are neither T25 nor T28. They have a T28 flange on them, yes, but again, they are not Garrett, therefore they are not T anything.

Wow. So what are the rb20,25 and neo turbos called then?

They're not "called" anything. They were made by Hitachi as an OEM supply to Nissan. Nissan think of them as their Nissan part number. Hitachi probably call them by the contract number with Nissan. To the rest of us they are;

The RB20 turbo,

The RB25 turbo (often called the 21U, and note that I typo'd U21 in my previous post)

The RB25 Neo turbo.

There are a few little variations in flavour there, in that the nylon compressor wheel made an appearance on the later 21U turbos, and the OP6 turbine housing also appeared on the VG30DET turbo, but the compressor was different to the RB25 turbos.

The only thing that is at least consistent is that I _think_ that the ceramic turbine is the same piece on all of them. I think there was only one design.

• Like 1

Nope. Mostly wrong.

Its not often anyone gets a chance to correct gts boy, actually it's never but the sr turbos are Garrett. S13 was t25, s14 and s15 was t28 gt2560.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, admS15 said:
11 hours ago, GTSBoy said:
Nope. Mostly wrong.

Its not often anyone gets a chance to correct gts boy, actually it's never but the sr turbos are Garrett. S13 was t25, s14 and s15 was t28 gt2560.

lol.... so GTS Boy 10000, adms15 1

still a win is a win :)

FWIW, all Nissan turbos belong in the bin.

• Like 2