SAU Community

RB25DET engine have differnet versions?

new to the RB engine series and skyline scene, my question is in regards to the RB25DET engines, I don't know if both of these are considered NEO version. I have attached two pictures, my question is what is the arrow pointed to in each pictures ? and why are they different from pic to pic if both engines are RB25DET. if so which would be correct from a R34 98 skyline gtt? thank you

459076338_rb25detversion.jpg.ae538cd336d18c214596880b4cdf6d08.jpg682914015_rb25detversion2.jpg.0ef8ebd1bd6425347d469cfa918a5989.jpg

Edited by JC71

no idea on the ecu #, these are just pictured I goggled to show the differences by the intake, which you refer to as traction control... so the cylinder shaped casting has traction control and the other doesn't? or different generations/version of traction control? so either could have been used in a rwd R34 98 skyline 2 door that came with the rb25det?

...maybe one of these/version was originally from a Nissan STAGEA?

or something to do with being from a 4wd or rwd version?

Edited by JC71

there are lots of variations over the 20 odd years these were made. I guess the question is why exactly do you need to know, or are you just interested?

the short blocks/ bottom ends are pretty much the same, heads were different between original and NEO, sump is different between 2wd and 4wd (since 4wd has a diff in it), and various external bits like CAS, ignitors/coils, turbo changed between years and models too.

The key difference in the NEO for aftermarket use is the improvements in the head which made them flow better and also better starting point for modifications.

8 hours ago, JC71 said:

or something to do with being from a 4wd or rwd version?

This.

Traction control with 2wd no traction control with 4wd.  No telling what car they came out of but ecu number (if original) would tell the story.

thanks all, I found a R34 I am looking at buying and the engine in the car doesn't have the  traction control motor on the throttle body, so trying to gather info so I know what I am looking at.