SAU Community

Degreasing bolts/small parts

SSSHONKY_V_2

Hi all , 

@admin Please delete/move if incorrect location or not helpful.

I am in the middle of getting all the bits and pieces I have removed from the engine while replacing the head gasket on my WCNC34 Stagea ready for re-assembly.

I was looking for some way to secure small objects such as nuts and bolts etc after degreasing them to hold them safe while I pressure wash all the gunk off, found some plastic mesh type baskets in the  shed and came up with this idea. 

Also keeps them upright for drying / spraying with oil later to prevent rust

It's not fancy, but it's cheap!

IMG_1864.jpg

IMG_1862.jpg

IMG_1863 (1).jpg

not fancy but its cheap.jpg

Hi Murray 

No offence taken, I like to learn from others. So the long and the short of it is, this is very much a tight budget head gasket replacement,trying to do as much as I can by myself as we are on a single income and don't have much spare cash.

I do realise that a poor decision can end up costing a lot more in the long run, so could you please educate me as to why it's a bad idea to re-use the head studs? Is there a chance they could snap when you go to re-tighten them to the correct torque settings?

Thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SSSHONKY_V_2 said:

Hi Murray 

No offence taken, I like to learn from others. So the long and the short of it is, this is very much a tight budget head gasket replacement,trying to do as much as I can by myself as we are on a single income and don't have much spare cash.

I do realise that a poor decision can end up costing a lot more in the long run, so could you please educate me as to why it's a bad idea to re-use the head studs? Is there a chance they could snap when you go to re-tighten them to the correct torque settings?

Thanks

This may sound strange but bolts function a lot like a spring. When you stretch them beyond their elastic point (to yield) they no longer function like a spring (if you can picture pulling a spring so it's completely straight, it won't coil back up to being the spring that it once was). 

So if you can imagine the bolts all trying to pull down on the head, once they have been stretched too far, they no longer pull down on the head as hard as they should. 

As Ben said, you may have sealing issues as the head wont be held on as tight as it should be. 

It's a tough call if your budget is tight, you might get away with re-using them. You wouldn't be the first person to reuse their head bolts, but if the head gasket blows, can you afford to do this job a second time? 

• Like 1