SAU Community

Are JIC Coilovers any good?

Hi i'm thinking of purchasing a set of JIC magic coilovers s/hand, does anyone know if these are any good? what about Tein?

any help is apreciated.

cheers

ive had two sets of JIC's in my car, they do what they do and make your womans boobs bounce all over the place on normal streets :)

theyve been good for track work too.

EDIT: the reason ive had two sets is I mashed a kerb and one bent so i got another set.

Shaun

i bought brand new FLT A-2's beginning of this year. After 8 month's of use - on bumpy Syd roads, and about 7 trackdays inc 2 @ EC, I'd rate them very highly for both drift and circuit, tho it's meant to be a drift suspension. But be warned, do not set the damper adjustment thingy too soft, or it will root the damper.

thanks guys, i have been told they are VERY stiff, but that could be ok. Just so long as they dont rattle the car apart. could be fun to drift with too :wassup:

I'm getting them for $1200......would i be better off getting HKS for $1500?

would youse recommend me getting a handling pack from whiteline as well?

go for JIC dude ......better product all round imo

u could go Zeal if u can find em 2nd hand, coz brand new they'll cost ya about 1200 per corner from memory. .and they are REAL STIFF

MT

Can the whiteline handling pack co-exist with coilovers or has to be used with springs and shock setup?

i think i can use the whiteline pack......will have to check that one out.

anyone know?

what's the handling pack consist of? if it's just bushes, pineapples, etc then no problem, you can use coilovers. note tho, if u use polyurethene bushes and then add a race spec coilover, the ride will be pretty bad over bumpy roads.

spring rate is car-specific I think

for my R32 GTS-T, FLT-A2 spring rate is 8kg front, 6kg rear if I recall correctly.

similar to Tein HA, but damper rate much harder than Tein (is that how to describe the damper's bound/rebound? not a susp expert! :rofl: )

i'll check on monday, i don't know to much about coilovers....anything i should watch out for?

I'm not sure about the average spring rates for coilovers for 33s, but the rates that mist have for 32 are pretty indicative quite firm springs. I've seen anything up to and over 12kg/mm front and 9kg/mm rear for 32s. These are too stiff for the road (in melb anyway).

Mist - Thanks. I'll keep that in mind because a lot of the r32's I'm looking at have japanese coilovers.

http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/fact_shee...line_R32GTS.PDF

Thats the kit I was looking at getting. Obviously I'd talk to them about what I needed etc but I have budgeted for the whole thing.

So if it's got some teins or something no point getting p-u bushes?

Would you be recommending using coilovers or seperate springs and shocks and bushes etc?

at the end of the day, comes down to what you want out of your suspension, and also what is acceptable to you... My FLT-A2 coilovers are awesome for circuit / drift. but combined with the polyurethene bushes, they are absolutely unsuitable for day to day as the car crashes over the bumpy roads in Syd. Many of my mates run Tein suspension - either the HA's or the Flex. Run them soft and I find them alright. But others may disagree and say that they are still too hard. if your car will be mainly road use, i'd say good spring + shock, e.g. Bilstein shocks + Eibach springs, would be awesome and still put up a good showing on track. do a search, there's been many many threads written on this topic + many recommendations & opinions. :)