SAU Community

1JZ GTE, converted to "NA"

Okay guys, so originally I was planning on putting an NA Barra into my R33. However,my dad has a 1jz gte lying around in the garage with pretty much everything there for it, including the r154 gearbox. Im pretty interested in buying it off him and putting it into the R33, but the problem is that I’m just getting onto my P plates haha. 

I was wondering if there would be any problems taking this from a TT motor to an NA. I know there are a few oil drains including the one on the block and the sump which are for the turbo and would need to be blocked, but also some other things I wouldn’t really know about hahaWiring and the fabrication stuff is not really a problem, because I know people who can do that for me. I know it does seem odd, but I was just wondering if anyone has something to add or give me any tips or share some insightful knowledge. 

thanks guys.

1 hour ago, GTSBoy said:

Just wait until you are off your Ps.

Yeah mate true, but I was just thinking that because it’s a shell and I’ve got to put something into it anyway, why not that. Because it would save me a bit of time and money in the long run I feel, in terms of upgrading it to what I want.  But yeah just gotta find out if it’s possible.

Not sure how far out you are willing to consider, but there is another Japanese manufacturer that makes straight 6 engines that it is worth considering rather than Toyota or Ford. 

A bunch called Nissan have made a range of motors that would be easier to fit in your Skyline as they bolt in, intake and exhaust on the correct side for the chassis and even the wiring is 80-100% plug in. Suggest you look into those.

1 minute ago, Duncan said:

Not sure how far out you are willing to consider, but there is another Japanese manufacturer that makes straight 6 engines that it is worth considering rather than Toyota or Ford. 

A bunch called Nissan have made a range of motors that would be easier to fit in your Skyline as they bolt in, intake and exhaust on the correct side for the chassis and even the wiring is 80-100% plug in. Suggest you look into those.

Hahah yes, the RB series would be a lot easier in terms of fitting and wiring. The only problem with that is I in the future once I’m off P’s I would be wanting to upgrade it anyway. So really, buying and RB20DE or RB25DE would be sort of useless in my book. It’s only just a thought because I’m able to purchase the 1J off my dad for about 2k complete with everything because yah know, father son prices. That’s a pretty good price from what I can see and it got me thinking whether I could just “convert” it to be “naturally aspirated” in turn saving me money, rather than buying an RB which I would end up replacing anyway. So yeah, all I want to know is if it is possible to convert it. 

thanks.

The thing is, it might be cheap for that motor but it's not a good deal. 

Even if you genuinely have the kind of mates who are totally reliable, will work for free at your timing and have the tools and skills to do your fab and wiring, even the raw materials to do that swap will cost another couple of thousand. Not to mention if you succeed in all that you will have a low compression turbo motor that makes terrible power.

Most likely it will be 40% complete at the back of the garage when you get off your ps.

RB25DE is a good choice, easiest to fit, cheap to but and easy to turbo later on. RB30DE even easier but they might be getting rare since everyone wants the blocks

2 minutes ago, Duncan said:

The thing is, it might be cheap for that motor but it's not a good deal. 

Even if you genuinely have the kind of mates who are totally reliable, will work for free at your timing and have the tools and skills to do your fab and wiring, even the raw materials to do that swap will cost another couple of thousand. Not to mention if you succeed in all that you will have a low compression turbo motor that makes terrible power.

Most likely it will be 40% complete at the back of the garage when you get off your ps.

RB25DE is a good choice, easiest to fit, cheap to but and easy to turbo later on. RB30DE even easier but they might be getting rare since everyone wants the blocks

yeah you do make a pretty good point. Alright thanks for that mate, ill probably just end up finding an RB of some sort to put into it.. Thanks for your help guys

What state are you in that allows an engine conversion but not a Turbo?

Swapping a NA motor in is just as illegal as having a turbo, and 500 times more work.

Be a smart P plater, and buy an 86.
You could have a nice daily/street car, and a turbo car for the track with your [engine of choice] if you're really super keen.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kinkstaah said:

What state are you in that allows an engine conversion but not a Turbo?

Swapping a NA motor in is just as illegal as having a turbo, and 500 times more work.

Be a smart P plater, and buy an 86.
You could have a nice daily/street car, and a turbo car for the track with your [engine of choice] if you're really super keen.

I live in QLD, not too sure on the laws, just thought you needed a mod plate and you would be good to go.

23 minutes ago, AshtonR33 said:

I live in QLD, not too sure on the laws, just thought you needed a mod plate and you would be good to go.

Probably a good idea to read the laws before embarking on any kind of engine swap. I did it out of curiosity and it states that Mod plates for engine mods are not approved for P plate vehicles.

Buy 86. Enjoy life. Come back to a Turbo car later if need be. (probably won't need be)

1 minute ago, Kinkstaah said:

Probably a good idea to read the laws before embarking on any kind of engine swap. I did it out of curiosity and it states that Mod plates for engine mods are not approved for P plate vehicles.

Buy 86. Enjoy life. Come back to a Turbo car later if need be. (probably won't need be)

Yeah man I will read up on those laws haha, thank you. Yeah the thing is I don’t find the 86 that appealing haha, plus I don’t have the money straight up to just buy one. That’s why I bought an R33 with intentions of building it up like I’m doing now. But yeah man, thanks for the help.