SAU Community

Knee and downpipe flanges different angle

HCD Velcra

Guys, so I tried to install the long laying china turbo knee and not only that one hole is so close to the knees body I am not able to turn it, also the angles of the flanges from knee and downpipe are not exact same. I didnt want to try it with force cause I thought, it will only f**k up the gasket. Would I have to lose the whole exhaust pipings straight to the end to get some "room" into the flanges angle or what would you guys recommend?
Heres a picture with the closer side tightened by hand and looking at the remaining gap.

1617620189454.jpg

Well, yeah. Try loosening everything.

Just because something is sold as "bolt on" does not mean that it will mate up with all the other OEM or "bolt on" parts that are there. Especially Chinabay exhaust bits.

I would suggest, if you cannot get it all to go together while everything else is loose without leaving a gap somewhere, that you are going to have to pay someone to cut the flange off one end of something and weld it back so that it will mate up.

Yeah exactly, it is common for parts to be a few degrees off flat. If a couple of them go the same way you end up with that sort of issue. Not many china parts are as bolt on as they claim....

Cut and reweld at a zorst shop.

BTW thanks for the introduction to new terminology "long laying knee" and "downpipe" :) I take it that is the first piece off the turbo (dump pipe) and piece from the dump pipe to that cat converter which we would normally call front pipe?

And get them to weld a flex section into the midpipe rather than dildoing about trying but fking up getting the 'ultimate' angle. Knob 2 birds with 1 dinger having a bit of movement for fitting, and engine movement.