SAU Community

Should there be a gap between the roof and door weather strip?

On 11/6/2021 at 2:00 AM, sonic99 said:

Thanks. Bad news for me tho. This is a discontinued part according to Nissan. Is this true? What are my options and is there a way to rectify this somehow

Talk to a body shop, they may be able to carefully bend the piece so it doesn't stick out quite so much. Keep in mind though that's easily an 800 USD part to find new if you're thinking of the part I'm thinking of.

Your talking on a R33 right ?

Had the same thing happen with mine along with the little plastic push clips/studs, that went to god, that secure it to the metal clips.

In the end I went and got some stainless steel domed allen key head bolts and bolted it back together.

Then stuck it to the window frame with quality double sided automotive tape

If it is the molding from A to B pillar you'll need to try and fix it. I have been trying to source these for an R33 for months (and am willing to pay stupid money for them if anyone knows where to find a set), they are like unicorns and I cannot find them anywhere in the world brand new.

On 10/11/21 at 1:18 PM, Amaru said:

If it is the molding from A to B pillar you'll need to try and fix it. I have been trying to source these for an R33 for months (and am willing to pay stupid money for them if anyone knows where to find a set), they are like unicorns and I cannot find them anywhere in the world brand new.

If we are taking about the same thing, here it is:

https://trust-kikaku.myshopify.com/collections/skyline-gt-r-bcnr33/products/oem-nissan-body-side-weatherstrip-rhs-bcnr33-r33-2-doors-663101499

On 11/10/2021 at 7:13 PM, sonic99 said:

Thanks for that, I have those pieces already so we're talking about different things :) The parts I need are 76870-22U00 and 76871-22U00 which are "Weatherstrip Retainer" - the hard black "plastic" molding running from the A pillar to B pillar.

On 11/11/2021 at 3:34 PM, joshuaho96 said:

I'm surprised Nissan has no plans to reproduce those weatherstrip retainers, they're trading hands at 90k yen easily.

I decided to search again last night and found 1x 76870-22U00 in stock in Japan, and paid 112k yen for it 😐 stupid I know, but the only brand new one I have seen pop up in months. Now to find 76871... if you know of anyone that happens to have one, I am more than interested and will pay "im having a mid life crisis" stupid money for it.

Edited by Amaru
added extra info to post

On 11/11/2021 at 3:46 PM, r32-25t said:

They actually didn’t reproduce anything with the heritage scheme (scam), they took new old stock, changed the sticker and tripled the price 

Yep, literally slapped a Nismo part number sticker over the original Nissan sticker in a lot of circumstances. 

On 11/10/2021 at 9:00 PM, Amaru said:

I decided to search again last night and found 1x 76870-22U00 in stock in Japan, and paid 112k yen for it 😐 stupid I know, but the only brand new one I have seen pop up in months. Now to find 76871... if you know of anyone that happens to have one, I am more than interested and will pay "im having a mid life crisis" stupid money for it.

That's just how it goes these days, if it wasn't you it would almost certainly be someone else.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2021 at 12:00 AM, Amaru said:

You try Z1 in the US?

Im paying someones mortgage over there

On 11/5/2021 at 6:11 PM, sonic99 said:

So the weather strip to which the rain guard gets attached, should there be a gap/channel between this weather strip and the roof? Or should it be flush against the roof?

hey mate. the rubber weather strip is attached to the metal retainer and it should sit flush. mine had gaps all over on both sides. so i measured the difference, took them off then bend it back with a hammer dolly set.

• Thanks 1

On 22/11/21 at 7:23 PM, Nostalgia said:

hey mate. the rubber weather strip is attached to the metal retainer and it should sit flush. mine had gaps all over on both sides. so i measured the difference, took them off then bend it back with a hammer dolly set.

You’re a genius!

was it fiddly to take off? And once measured did you have to keep reinstalling and removing until you made it perfect?

Edited by sonic99

On 11/22/2021 at 9:33 PM, sonic99 said:

You’re a genius!

was it fiddly to take off? And once measured did you have to keep reinstalling and removing until you made it perfect?

not at all. very easy.

you first remove the soft rubber door seals held on by push pins. this exposes the retainer. it comes off in one long piece after you remove the screws.

from there, measure gap. take off. bend. put back test fit etc until desired fitment. reinstall. done.

• Thanks 1