SAU Community

How to identify the difference between S, P & SP from options added

Vee37

Hi,

I use to have a 350GT Coupe, and posted here as Vee35. I just upgraded to a 370GT. and hence Vee37( yes I know its a V36, but its the 370GT that I know it as)

The car appears to have all the options, and it was sold as an SP; but it was a good price and had the min features I needed, so I didnt look into before diving in with a purchase.

My Question: How can you tell that a V36 is an SP as opposed to say a base model with ALL (or many) of the options of an SP? Is there one feature of an SP that could not be optioned in?

Edited by Vee37
explain 37 instead of 36

My understanding is there can be a lot of variation of options across all models. Depending on what the buyer wanted at the dealer originally. The most definitive way I have found is to enter your vehicle number into a website like epc-data for example. It will tell you what model you have plus any optional extras

• Thanks 1

On 2/6/2022 at 7:27 AM, steV36 said:

My understanding is there can be a lot of variation of options across all models. Depending on what the buyer wanted at the dealer originally. The most definitive way I have found is to enter your vehicle number into a website like epc-data for example. It will tell you what model you have plus any optional extras

That sounds EXACTLY what I was looking for. However, when I entered my VIN at https://nissan-europe.epc-data.com/search_frame it doesn't return anything. I note the URL has "Europe" in it; obviously mine came from Japan.

I tried clicking on the "Japan" link, but when I executed the search, it went back to Europe, and again did not find anything.

On 2/7/2022 at 3:07 PM, V35_Paul said:

S for sport you get paddle shift and better brakes

P for premium you get full leather 

SP you get both

I think everything else was an option

This may lead to an answer. Do you know if it was possible for someone to option down from full leather to leather/cloth?

I guess what I am getting at, is are the leather seats only unique to P? Or could a base model option up to leather seats?It makes sense that a buyer could pick and chose any option from any starting point, but get a discount if they buy the Package that nissan have built, with the exact options already included. ie base+leather+BOSE etc would be more expensive that a P package where they are included as a package.

Originally I thought the 4WAS was the differentiating factor (for the S package), but you have not mentioned it.

My one has paddle shift, and a very stiff suspension and 19" wheels +probably more, but its seats are half leather, so I would guess its an S. But it also has the BOSE audio; which is rubbish compared to the BOSE in a 350GT😒

My little obsession of exactly what it is,  is because the seller advertised it as an SP, but I think its an optioned up S. I purchase it as it had the options I specifically wanted, and a few more, and is Black, so for the price I was happy. Actually almost wishing against the stiffer suspension.

On 2/7/2022 at 5:25 PM, Low/slow370GT said:

https://prestigemotorsport.com.au/faqs/nissan-v36-skyline-model-guide/

This may help figure out what is an option and what is part of the packages.

I have seen list like that )and that specific one), but I guess it comes down to: Is there any option within each package that could ONLY be attained by buying that package. ie a "slam dunk", IF the car has it, but could be uncertain if it doesn't, as someone may have optioned down. eg not getting the stiffer suspension on an S model.

Actually, just looked for what it does say about the BOSE audio, and that link says there are 4 speakers in the rear parcel shelf. I am sure I read somewhere else that there were three, and mine has three.

I remember skimming over something that mentioned a different body styling?

Are the model difference between S, P & SP such a blurry line?

On 06/02/2022 at 10:14 AM, Vee37 said:

That sounds EXACTLY what I was looking for. However, when I entered my VIN at https://nissan-europe.epc-data.com/search_frame it doesn't return anything. I note the URL has "Europe" in it; obviously mine came from Japan.

I tried clicking on the "Japan" link, but when I executed the search, it went back to Europe, and again did not find anything.

If you are that concerned, the only definitive check is through FAST or someone that has decoded it. For the Fuga I used: https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genuine/locate?c=Nissan

In the end I don't think it matters much. If it has everything for the model you wanted, what is the gap? You've bought an import so both purchase price and resale value will be lower than a locally delivered car

On 2/8/2022 at 6:32 AM, Duncan said:

If you are that concerned, the only definitive check is through FAST or someone that has decoded it. For the Fuga I used: https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genuine/locate?c=Nissan

In the end I don't think it matters much. If it has everything for the model you wanted, what is the gap? You've bought an import so both purchase price and resale value will be lower than a locally delivered car

And nothing returned.

As i said, I already purchased the car, so I understand that I have accepted it for what it is. As you said, it met my minimum required feature list (I am annoyed the BOSE audio in the 370 is substantially lesser quality audio than in the 350). But, I would just like to know. And I guess others thinking of buying or selling, may read this thread to understand what to read into people saying its an "S" "P" or "SP". The guy I bought it from said it was an SP, but I think its an S with some extra options (it has cloth inserts instead of full leather, and not 7 way adjustable seats). I was thinking it would be a simple thing to determine, maybe stamped on a plate at the factory. But obviously not. I have to admit, I have yet to check the plates in the engine bay to see if there are any clues there.

Dredging sorry... Just out of interest for those just as confused by the S/SP/P types... I purchased an 08 370GT Type S earlier this week from out of state requiring me to re-register from VIN here in NSW. According to search results online it is actually an SP?

Either the Prestige guide linked above is incorrect about the leather seats only in Premium (which it could be, because it also says my cars colour (K52 slate blue) is only available in 2012 AND it also doesnt mention a couple of options I know exist like the privacy glass) ORRRR...  the model type code is wrong on my VIN. I searched two different sites and both said my car was SP. I've read other guides that also conflict about the leather, paddle shift and snow/slow drive being premium only.

Weird. I'm not really bothered but for resale it would be nice to know for sure!

1393014820_FRAMEVINDECODED.thumb.png.3fc8d23a03ce7e75b102367c3e8af543.png

• Thanks 1

On 2/15/2022 at 8:29 PM, rachierach said:

Dredging sorry... Just out of interest for those just as confused by the S/SP/P types... I purchased an 08 370GT Type S earlier this week from out of state requiring me to re-register from VIN here in NSW. According to search results online it is actually an SP?

Either the Prestige guide linked above is incorrect about the leather seats only in Premium (which it could be, because it also says my cars colour (K52 slate blue) is only available in 2012 AND it also doesnt mention a couple of options I know exist like the privacy glass) ORRRR...  the model type code is wrong on my VIN. I searched two different sites and both said my car was SP. I've read other guides that also conflict about the leather, paddle shift and snow/slow drive being premium only.

Weird. I'm not really bothered but for resale it would be nice to know for sure!

HEY! when I was reading your first few lines, I though I was reading my own post! The big diff is mine is black. Take care when opening the boot if its been in the sun!!!!

I bought a car advertised as an SP (But I think its only an S with BOSE audio). In VIC (Melbourne), and drove it up to NSW (Sydney). Which sites did you use that said yours was an SP?

I am now in the process of getting a blue slip to register it here in NSW. My guys have had issues with reading the Engine Number. Did your guys have any issues? is there a trick? I got the location, but it looks pretty deep.Any other things to be weary of or watch out for?

I have tinted glass on the back and quarter glass things, but it is not privacy glass. I was also told by the people that tinted my door windows (which were clear) that the factory tinting is not protective against UV nor IR. I am thinking (once the rego crap is sorted) of getting the lightest but highest IR & UV) film put over it.

Edited by Vee37

On 2/15/2022 at 8:29 PM, rachierach said:

On 2/16/2022 at 8:44 AM, Vee37 said:

HEY! when I was reading your first few lines, I though I was reading my own post! The big diff is mine is black. Take care when opening the boot if its been in the sun!!!!

I bought a car advertised as an SP (But I think its only an S with BOSE audio). In VIC (Melbourne), and drove it up to NSW (Sydney). Which sites did you use that said yours was an SP?

I am now in the process of getting a blue slip to register it here in NSW. My guys have had issues with reading the Engine Number. Did your guys have any issues? is there a trick? I got the location, but it looks pretty deep.Any other things to be weary of or watch out for?

I have tinted glass on the back and quarter glass things, but it is not privacy glass. I was also told by the people that tinted my door windows (which were clear) that the factory tinting is not protective against UV nor IR. I am thinking (once the rego crap is sorted) of getting the lightest but highest IR & UV) film put over it.

OK, yeah, I have the URL already, and my VIN returns nothing. On other web sites (including the Govt registry) my VIN is ok. Its just this web site that does not work for me.

Also found these two other related threads. Not sure how @DashyyPC came to the SP; probably the site as above?

Edited by Vee37

• 3 weeks later...

@Vee37 Sorry, ive been away

If you supply me your VIN i can tell you the model and specs.

PM me if you wish to, or reply here. Sorry its a late reply.

Edit - i seen youve found the old way to do it, all good. Sorry i couldnt help earlier.

Edited by DashyyPC
i didnt finish the thread. lel